DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Air2S vs The Autel Evo2 6k Pro, Speed and wind tolerance

cgmaxed

Reactions
I just tested my EVO 6k pro and my Air2S against each other in the same winds (direction and velocity). I was amazed. Congrats to those who have purchased the Air2S. The Air2S outperformed the EVO26k dramatically. Both were flown at 100 ft. Bothe were flown in a 360 degree circle in order to hit the wind directions and speeds equally. This was done several times. The results;

The winds, Most extreme , a head wind coming from the South West and a Tail wind coming from the North East. Flying with the tail wind the EVO 2 made its max 45mph and the Air2S made its max speed at 43MPH. Going against the wind the Air2S had a max speed of 25MPH, while the EVO2 only could fly at 10MPH.

Even though the Air2S is a lighter aircraft, It's power and small frame allowed it to cut through the wind with ease compared to the EVO2.

So, in conclusion. The AIR2S resists high winds just as well as the bigger, bulky aircraft, such as an EVO2 and , I suspect the M2P. I have to say, if you don't want fly aways, do not buy a mavic mini. At least buy the Air2s or MavAir2. I didn't test the MavAir2 but I would expect it to have the same flight characteristics as the Air2s.

I can't believe the results. WOW!. I always took the EVO2 or M2P out for high wind days, but looks like the Air 2 S is in a class of its own and has better performance in high winds. Looks like I'll be taking the Air2S out more often.

Last edited:
I just tested my EVO 6k pro and my Air2S against each other in the same winds (direction and velocity). I was amazed. Congrats to those who have purchased the Air2S. The Air2S outperformed the EVO26k dramatically. Both were flown at 100 ft. Bothe were flown in a 360 degree circle in order to hit the wind directions and speeds equally. This was done several times. The results;

The winds, Most extreme , a head wind coming from the South West and a Tail wind coming from the North East. Flying with the tail wind the EVO 2 made its max 45mph and the Air2S made its max speed at 43MPH. Going against the wind the Air2S had a max speed of 25MPH, while the EVO2 only could fly at 10MPH.

Even though the Air2S is a lighter aircraft, It's power and small frame allowed it to cut through the wind with ease compared to the EVO2.

So, in conclusion. The AIR2S resists high winds just as well as the bigger, bulky aircraft, such as an EVO2 and , I suspect the M2P. I have to say, if you don't want fly aways, do not buy a mavic mini. At least buy the Air2s or MavAir2. I didn't test the MavAir2 but I would expect it to have the same flight characteristics as the Air2s.

I can't believe the results. WOW!. I always took the EVO2 or M2P out for high wind days, but looks like the Air 2 S is in a class of its own and has better performance in high winds. Looks like I'll be taking the Air2S out more often.
In general when you have strong winds, best is to come back as fast as possible on low altitude. So money people lost this way their drone. i had to get it back as well once with the mapping on the app but that worked great too, though i seemed to have done an emergency landing where i could hardly find back my drone without the detailled map (2 km from where i left, i changed the settings for critical battery settings after this incident). +je

Attachments

• 1DF1F2AC-4F10-4143-AB75-77B84588186F.jpeg
    1DF1F2AC-4F10-4143-AB75-77B84588186F.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 14
  • E3494D34-D6B0-485B-9099-BDB7624DF70F.jpeg
    E3494D34-D6B0-485B-9099-BDB7624DF70F.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 06A564EE-B2F2-4DBC-89A8-DCAFF86D13A5.jpeg
    06A564EE-B2F2-4DBC-89A8-DCAFF86D13A5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
In general when you have strong winds, best is to come back as fast as possible on low altitude. So money people lost this way their drone. i had to get it back as well once with the mapping on the app but that worked great too, though i seemed to have done an emergency landing where i could hardly find back my drone without the detailled map (2 km from where i left, i changed the settings for critical battery settings after this incident). +je
I never lost a drone to high winds, but I have had to land earlier than expected. It was my fault, not paying attention to the degree in difference between the wind strength coming and going. Now, I always fly out, checking speed and then do a quick backward flight and check speed. I then can determine roughly how much battery I expend going away and how much I need coming back.

Reactions: JackL
A head wind is a head wind. you don't cut through it. You are traveling in a moving parcel of air.

Reactions: Dawnvt
A head wind is a head wind. you don't cut through it. You are traveling in a moving parcel of air.
Aerodynamics are Aerodynamics. A more aerodynamic fuselage with a relative power to weight ratio changes the game. Example: try flying a blimp through a headwind, then take the same motors from the blimp and put them on a small aircraft: that small aircraft will easily "cut" through the headwind (and have a higher airspeed and gound speed) than the blimp.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing

What is a Safe return to home battery setting?

Aerodynamics are Aerodynamics. A more aerodynamic fuselage with a relative power to weight ratio changes the game. Example: try flying a blimp through a headwind, then take the same motors from the blimp and put them on a small aircraft: that small aircraft will easily "cut" through the headwind (and have a higher airspeed and gound speed) than the blimp.
But it would have a higher airspeed and ground speed than blimp reguardless of headwind. Typically, airspeed will always be constant, only groundspeed is effected by wind.
However, i have heard conflicting information on this with drones. I dont think this is related to aerodynamics, but software controlling angles and speeds

Also wondering at your claim of mavic mini flyaways. I have a dozen of these that fly nearly every day, and never had a flyaway.

Last edited:
I can attest to the need to lower your altitude in high headwind situations. In one experience flying too close to a mountain ridge with my MA2 I ended up facing a strong headwind that started pushing the drone back over the ridge away from me and possibly out of communication line-of-sight. A barely escaped by dropping my altitude and maneuvering out of the maximum air flow channel through the gap in the mountains. You can see it here starting at time 2:30

In a mountainous area you can easily get a Venturi effect which could triple the velocity of the wind

Reactions: Steve F
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78