DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI and Mastercard. They have problem?

sunny1

Reactions
Wow just got blown away. Been following this forum and DJI forum over the last 3 weeks thinking of buying a first new drone. I posted "scared to buy" at Christmas time on both forums and got such a good response from this community. 90% of the people said enjoy, and go buy. So last night I went online to the DJI store and made the big jump. Well the purchase did not go very well. After I agreed to everything and put in my MasterCard # the screen never went to confirm payment. About 1/2 hour later I got an email said payment was pending. So I went to bed thinking I would get confirmation in the morning. Well after not getting any response from DJI by the afternoon of the next day I decide I would go on line and check my MasterCard bill. When I checked it, it said transaction was pending. (and without me knowing my wife paid the bill) Well 24 hours after I ordered my Mavic I get another email from DJI saying I need to send them a scanned copy of my drivers licence showing my current address or they would not let me purchase it. I am 64 years old been living in the same place for 19 years (or so) and been using a MasterCard for most of my life, and I never had any place I used it needing more Stinking ID. I just used the card to book a Thailand trip, and all the hotels in March on the same card and not a problem. Please I am really looking forward to your response. Have any of you had same problems? I think in the morning I am going to try and cancel my order. ( They say they will destroy my scanned ID after they are done with it ) Now I really scared to buy :(

No, at DJI's request some banks are requiring on-the-phone verification. This happened with my Visa when I bought mine. I would definitely NOT send the ID to DJI but contact your bank and find out what they say is going on. It'll get sorted.

Heading to Thailand, huh? Check out the requirements for a tourist bringing in a drone: https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Announcement-of-the-Ministry-of-Transport.pdf and https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/UAV-Registration-new.pdf. Too bad neither one tells you where to send the application! (Although some on the forum report successfully travelling without registering.)

No, at DJI's request some banks are requiring on-the-phone verification. This happened with my Visa when I bought mine. I would definitely NOT send the ID to DJI but contact your bank and find out what they say is going on. It'll get sorted.

Heading to Thailand, huh? Check out the requirements for a tourist bringing in a drone: https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Announcement-of-the-Ministry-of-Transport.pdf and https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/UAV-Registration-new.pdf. Too bad neither one tells you where to send the application! (Although some on the forum report successfully travelling without registering.)
Thanks for the reply. And yes I have been reading my butt of on drones and Thailand.

It's getting more common, companies protecting themselves from fraud by doing enhanced validation before accepting an order.

Not sure what flags it, could be completely random, location or other.

Pretty annoying.

Thanks for the reply. And yes I have been reading my butt of on drones and Thailand.
Hi Sunny. I've spent numerous hours over the past year on DJI's site. DJI in my opinion and based on many people's experience, is that DJI is very poor at customer service and at product delivery. I've never seen DJI offering a price that is better than any Canadian retailer...so my advice is to cancel your order and purchase directly from a Canadian retailer or local hobby shop. If you have a Costco membership, they now carry mavics in stock and have the best warranty in case of defect (90 days). Any retailer would likely support you with a replacement in the first couple of weeks, however I do not think that DJI would support you like this. Don't be worried about the quality of the product, they are well made and any issues are very unlikely...it's just that you have this piece of mind initially if you do by it locally and the fast convenience of an exchange vs the cost/difficulty of doing this with DJI if you buy directly from them. There is absolutely no advantage of buying direct via DJI.

Reactions: JamesA and Callum
Well I'll tell you why I bought from DJI directly. In Canada Best Buy sells them but wont take them back if the box has been opened. Costco sells them only in the USA, you cant buy then on Costco.ca (they don't sell them. maybe they used to) Plus DJI does not charge any taxes or duty. so for 1099 us + 20% exchange and in the Mavic alpine white you get 3 Battery's I think it was a good deal. I also think the alpine white is only sold at apple stores and DJI.

Well I'll tell you why I bought from DJI directly. In Canada Best Buy sells them but wont take them back if the box has been opened. Costco sells them only in the USA, you cant buy then on Costco.ca (they don't sell them. maybe they used to) Plus DJI does not charge any taxes or duty. so for 1099 us + 20% exchange and in the Mavic alpine white you get 3 Battery's I think it was a good deal. I also think the alpine white is only sold at apple stores and DJI.
If you're dead set on getting a white one, yes, Apple or DJI are the only two options. The price out of your local Apple Store (ie Metrotowne or Pacific Center) are basically identical - $5 difference. And I think you will appreciate the customer service from Apple much more than DJI.

But is having a white one absolutely compulsory? Because buying just the stock Mavic, 2 spare batteries and the charging hub (there are better options than the hub) will cost you much less. And this deal is available via many great local (BC or Canada) dealers -- dealers that are dedicated to RC and will show you better .service.

White is nice, but not worth it if it limits your options.

If you want the white then you are correct with going DJI; also correct about Best Buy except that if the product is defective out of the box they WILL take it back. Costco canada does sell the Mavic Pro- in store only for I think $1150. For $1100USD + exchange you are basically paying for your spare batteries so no real deal there. I do recommend at least 2 spare (I have 7) :). My personal experience with the Mavic is that white would not be the best option...it would look nice in front of you but white would make it very difficult to see in the sky. In fact, it can be very difficult to see the grey Mavic against a background because grey is such a natual colour. I bought a bright red skin for mine. DJI will not communicate well with you if you buy via them direct, Apple will. Cheers.

Reactions: pixl
DJI puts their authorized dealers ahead of single orders (you) so your order will be filled last. They seem to lack the ability or the capacity to communicate basic order inquires/updates with their customers. My order with them sat at "pending" for two weeks so I looked around, saw it was in stock at a USA dealer (B & H Photo, same price, free shipping, no tax, flexible return policy), and cancelled with DJI. Ordering from the USA dealer got it to me in three days. I am guessing you can find a Canadian dealer that will be more responsive than DJI.

Hi guys . I only went for the white one cus of the xmas deal with the spare battery,( 3 in total) and yes I was thinking of buying a skin for it. I just checked the apple store in Canada and they sell just the drone, no accessories for 1349.00 cdn and the white one is 1369.00. plus i need to pay 12% tax. comes to $1510.00. If I buy it thought DJI it was 1320.00 cdn with the exchange. Maybe I need to rethink this? I just sent DJI asking them what the hold up is and said bill my card or cancel the order. I will not send them a scanned copy of my drivers license , that is stupid.
Has any one bought from amazon .ca? Their are 2 sellers their one is called center drone and the other one is zoom electronics. Thank you all for your response. Give me your thoughts on this

https://www.amazon.ca/DJI-Quadcopte...sr=8-146-spons&keywords=mavic+pro+combo&psc=1

Last edited:

I had a similar experience in July when I was pulling the trigger on a Mavic summer sale. Visa was declined. Called credit card company and they flagged because DJI is a Chinese company. They cleared the payment to go through but I backed out of the transaction.

At Christmas I was going to get from Costco.. but missed out.. they sold them in Canada in store and online. I know someone who got one.

In the end I got from from the DJI pop up store in Toronto for CA$1049 + tax for the basic Mavic package. I didn’t want to deal with DJI and then with DHL or whomever ships it. Local dealer would be able to help if it was DOA. Worth the headaches I imagine could happen.
I

Hi Sunny. I've spent numerous hours over the past year on DJI's site. DJI in my opinion and based on many people's experience, is that DJI is very poor at customer service and at product delivery. I've never seen DJI offering a price that is better than any Canadian retailer...so my advice is to cancel your order and purchase directly from a Canadian retailer or local hobby shop. If you have a Costco membership, they now carry mavics in stock and have the best warranty in case of defect (90 days). Any retailer would likely support you with a replacement in the first couple of weeks, however I do not think that DJI would support you like this. Don't be worried about the quality of the product, they are well made and any issues are very unlikely...it's just that you have this piece of mind initially if you do by it locally and the fast convenience of an exchange vs the cost/difficulty of doing this with DJI if you buy directly from them. There is absolutely no advantage of buying direct via DJI.
Thanks man I hear you. You are probably right. I just thought I would not have any warranty problems with DJI, if I bought from them and prices looked good, with no duty or taxes. In Canada your choices for a good deal are limited. Best buy won't take it back if its opened. Staples prices are high. amazon has good return policy and seen to have good prices (but not sure if DJI will honor their warranty). Their are 2 sellers on amazon ca. center drone and zoom electronics. Maybe I'm just to ****?

Thanks man I hear you. You are probably right. I just thought I would not have any warranty problems with DJI, if I bought from them and prices looked good, with no duty or taxes. In Canada your choices for a good deal are limited. Best buy won't take it back if its opened. Staples prices are high. amazon has good return policy and seen to have good prices (but not sure if DJI will honor their warranty). Their are 2 sellers on amazon ca. center drone and zoom electronics. Maybe I'm just to ****?
Where are you located in Canada?

I had a similar experience in July when I was pulling the trigger on a Mavic summer sale. Visa was declined. Called credit card company and they flagged because DJI is a Chinese company. They cleared the payment to go through but I backed out of the transaction.

At Christmas I was going to get from Costco.. but missed out.. they sold them in Canada in store and online. I know someone who got one.

In the end I got from from the DJI pop up store in Toronto for CA$1049 + tax for the basic Mavic package. I didn’t want to deal with DJI and then with DHL or whomever ships it. Local dealer would be able to help if it was DOA. Worth the headaches I imagine could happen.
I
Where are you located in Canada?
I live near vancouver

Hi Again, if you are willing to WAIT (DJI is slow) then you may have a good price with DJI direct because of the BC tax issue. FYI- DJI is the one that would deal with any warranty issues (not the canadian store or amazon). I'm sure the only warranty issue you'd have would be noticed withing the first few weeks of flight- so for this costco is the best and only store that would take a return. Your price via DJI does look good...fyi you are paying about $150 extra/premium just for the white colour; that's a crime :). Also you will save about $150 retail by getting the standard 'Pro' and not the 'new premium'; honestly, there is no difference really except for 3 min more flight time which you won't notice and also the 'new props' are more costly to replace and the Mavic is pretty quiet as it is. So if $ is a concern, you can go this route. Another hint for you to save...if you know or have a student in the family (or a teacher), get them to make the purchase and you will get 10% off as an edu discount. FYI, Staples and London Drugs are the cheapest for batteries but Amazon is the same also. Look for a hobby store in Alberta, you might be able to purchase here without paying the BC tax (although I think you normally should have to pay the tax based on the province you live, not all stores are knowing of this...). I would encourage you to get from Costco store, I was recently in my store and they were $1040, lowest price I've seen but I don't know if this was a Christmas only price.

I live near vancouver

check out that Drone store in Alberta,I think its called MultiRotorHeli, but they are one of the DJI Authorized REPAIR centres, and have good prices with free shipping. Being in Alberta the tax will work out to be less as well. That was my option until I got the local deal.

Anyway, good luck either way with DJI, CostCo (If they get more instock) or a local reseller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78