DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI announcement on May 15

DJI is going to have to be careful with pricing if they get into the action camera like hero 7. That cameras best model sells at $350 most of the time, and they really have gotten good with THAT camera. It has tones of features, like voice commands. There are other brands of action cams right around that price range as well. Then there are the Sony action cameras and they can start around $550 up to $700, and they are supposed to be pretty great (so I’ve read). Now DJI has the newish hasselblad brand cameras it has access to. If it is a action cam ( I think it is also), it could be some great DJI technology that finds a spot in just the right price range. Hopefully it will not be to pricey so that the everyday customer can take advantage of the new product.

I used the GO Pro Black on my 3dr Solo DRone.....(5 years)....outstanding camera.

An underwater drone would be all kinds of cool.

DJI is going to have to be careful with pricing if they get into the action camera like hero 7. That cameras best model sells at $350 most of the time, and they really have gotten good with THAT camera. It has tones of features, like voice commands. There are other brands of action cams right around that price range as well. Then there are the Sony action cameras and they can start around $550 up to $700, and they are supposed to be pretty great (so I’ve read). Now DJI has the newish hasselblad brand cameras it has access to. If it is a action cam ( I think it is also), it could be some great DJI technology that finds a spot in just the right price range. Hopefully it will not be to pricey so that the everyday customer can take advantage of the new product.

Thats is a very astute comment! I never even thought about that aspect of DJIs possible new cam, that would compete head to head with Gopro.

I remember when Gopro tried to compete with DJI on DJI's home ground with the Karma... they got killed! Hope the same doesnt happen to DJI.

I agree that DJI needs to be very careful with their pricing.

Reactions: Smalls
If it is, it will probably end up pretty good but that market seems pretty well played already. DJI have been very successful with pretty much everything it has sold. I’m sure whatever they are releasing had more thought and planning than I would ever be able to figure out. Guess that’s what will make waiting till Wednesday kinda exciting!!

Reactions: Former Member
I don’t think a GoPro clone would have me reaching for my pocket. However if it was a camera that would work with the Osmo mobile, it might be something that would be a nice edition to the kit.
Interesting times

Reactions: Smalls

Last edited:
Reactions: tleedom

Last edited:

Last edited:
Just found this.
84E1A145-931D-4D72-89D1-B99B837A587E.jpeg

I think it will be A drone capable of landing and taking off from water. With a camera which can look underwater. Possibly an updated air with ocusync 2 and better batteries. It could be called Mavic liquid instead of Mavic air.

Last edited:
There are some underwater drones (aka ROVs) around already. Some are pretty awful in terms of build, usefullness and all are useless for imaging.

We had a guy with one of those on our boat last week:-

Utterly terrible, small, couldnt handle current or surge in a bay, awful imagery, had to stay close to the boat and kept banging into coral. Looked like a Roomba but infinately less useful.

It's be SIGNIFICANTLY harder to get a decent stable underwater platform due in no part to the pressure, currents (left, right, up and down - water is very dense..) along with surge etc.
It'd need excellent gyros because unless its tethered to a buoy on the surface GPS is not going to be possible.
It would need to be tethered to the operator console to provide the data link as RF wont work and any short range stuff that will cut through water is so low bandwidth and so low ranged as to be useless.
In addition any imagery would be useless below about 10m. Even in the clearest tropical waters you wont get anything like an acceptable image without multple very bright lights or strobes.

Im going with actioncam - its a logical step as they already do gimbals and cameras.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d