DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI ban moves forward for vote by the House June 11

franklinskite

Reactions
'Attached to the National Defense Authorization Act is the Countering CCP Drone Act, which would basically ground all DJI drones, future and current. However, tomorrow is not the day all drones are grounded; there is still some time yet.

Here’s a brief explainer for how bills become laws. After being drafted by a member of congress and sponsored by another, bills can get assigned to committees based on their subject matter, DJI’s ban was handled by the Energy and Commerce Committee. Once the bill passes the committee it moves to a full vote by the full chamber.

However, DJI’s ban was attached to the 2025 NDAA, a much larger bill that funds the US Department of Defense for fiscal year 2025. This is an extremely important bill that makes it hard to not pass. The NDAA moved through several committees on its way to being given the green light for the full House vote.’

DJI are a fantastic company ! DJI products have saved thousands of lives in the USA and price / quality wise there is nothing to touch DJI in the USA !
2 million Drones in USA to become illegal overnight with no visible reason!
It really stinks of a trade war using the threat of a physical war as an excuse. If USA want to Stop China stop Russia

Like most legislation today, it feels good and does little else. I'm confident no one has thought about how -- much less committed resources -- to even enforce a potential ban.

Reactions: Intrceptor
This may be off topic, AND I may be putting the cart before the horse, but I have been looking to get another drone.
I had a Phantom 3 and Mavic Mini. Sold both.
I was looking to get another mini (<250g) drone just for fun.
Wondering if there are any non-Chinese alternatives to consider? Or maybe I'm better off not owning anything until the dust settles on this ban and we see where we're at?

This may be off topic, AND I may be putting the cart before the horse, but I have been looking to get another drone.
I had a Phantom 3 and Mavic Mini. Sold both.
I was looking to get another mini (<250g) drone just for fun.
Wondering if there are any non-Chinese alternatives to consider? Or maybe I'm better off not owning anything until the dust settles on this ban and we see where we're at?
If you really want another drone the best time to buy one is NOW. Get the best that fits your budget and your expected usage. There will never be a better time than the present. Waiting for some future perfect time just robs you of current experiences.

Reactions: Jurgen
Like most legislation today, it feels good and does little else. I'm confident no one has thought about how -- much less committed resources -- to even enforce a potential ban.
If existing DJI drones lose their FCC license, and it's still not clear if that would happen, it could cause problems for operators with Part 107 licenses to get insurance for work-related activities that involve their DJI equipment. Based on how Congress handled Huawei, the final version of the bill will probably (IANAL) not affect existing products with FCC licenses.

When Congress banned Huawei (and ZTE, Hikvision, Dahua, and Hytera) from obtaining new FCC licenses, that stopped the sale of new Huawei equipment in the US. It was not retroactive but it effectively ended the sales of those companies in the US. It's hard to sell yesterday's technology when everyone else is selling tomorrow's technology.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lab916