DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI ban moves forward for vote by the House June 11

franklinskite

Reactions
'Attached to the National Defense Authorization Act is the Countering CCP Drone Act, which would basically ground all DJI drones, future and current. However, tomorrow is not the day all drones are grounded; there is still some time yet.

Here’s a brief explainer for how bills become laws. After being drafted by a member of congress and sponsored by another, bills can get assigned to committees based on their subject matter, DJI’s ban was handled by the Energy and Commerce Committee. Once the bill passes the committee it moves to a full vote by the full chamber.

However, DJI’s ban was attached to the 2025 NDAA, a much larger bill that funds the US Department of Defense for fiscal year 2025. This is an extremely important bill that makes it hard to not pass. The NDAA moved through several committees on its way to being given the green light for the full House vote.’

DJI are a fantastic company ! DJI products have saved thousands of lives in the USA and price / quality wise there is nothing to touch DJI in the USA !
2 million Drones in USA to become illegal overnight with no visible reason!
It really stinks of a trade war using the threat of a physical war as an excuse. If USA want to Stop China stop Russia

Like most legislation today, it feels good and does little else. I'm confident no one has thought about how -- much less committed resources -- to even enforce a potential ban.

Reactions: Intrceptor
This may be off topic, AND I may be putting the cart before the horse, but I have been looking to get another drone.
I had a Phantom 3 and Mavic Mini. Sold both.
I was looking to get another mini (<250g) drone just for fun.
Wondering if there are any non-Chinese alternatives to consider? Or maybe I'm better off not owning anything until the dust settles on this ban and we see where we're at?

This may be off topic, AND I may be putting the cart before the horse, but I have been looking to get another drone.
I had a Phantom 3 and Mavic Mini. Sold both.
I was looking to get another mini (<250g) drone just for fun.
Wondering if there are any non-Chinese alternatives to consider? Or maybe I'm better off not owning anything until the dust settles on this ban and we see where we're at?
If you really want another drone the best time to buy one is NOW. Get the best that fits your budget and your expected usage. There will never be a better time than the present. Waiting for some future perfect time just robs you of current experiences.

Reactions: Jurgen
Like most legislation today, it feels good and does little else. I'm confident no one has thought about how -- much less committed resources -- to even enforce a potential ban.
If existing DJI drones lose their FCC license, and it's still not clear if that would happen, it could cause problems for operators with Part 107 licenses to get insurance for work-related activities that involve their DJI equipment. Based on how Congress handled Huawei, the final version of the bill will probably (IANAL) not affect existing products with FCC licenses.

When Congress banned Huawei (and ZTE, Hikvision, Dahua, and Hytera) from obtaining new FCC licenses, that stopped the sale of new Huawei equipment in the US. It was not retroactive but it effectively ended the sales of those companies in the US. It's hard to sell yesterday's technology when everyone else is selling tomorrow's technology.

I'm reading posts and comments that somehow the current administration is to blame for the potential ban of DJI products in the US.
To be clear; CCP Drones Act, was introduced by Representative Elise Stefanik (R-NY) That's right, the bill was introduced by a republican lawmaker who would like for you to believe that they want to get big gov't out of your life.
This knee jerk xenophobic bill is not unlike the TikTok issue and is not reality based but looks good to the mindless sheep back home who haven't a **** clue.

I'm reading posts and comments that somehow the current administration is to blame for the potential ban of DJI products in the US.
To be clear; CCP Drones Act, was introduced by Representative Elise Stefanik (R-NY) That's right, the bill was introduced by a republican lawmaker who would like for you to believe that they want to get big gov't out of your life.
This knee jerk xenophobic bill is not unlike the TikTok issue and is not reality based but looks good to the mindless sheep back home who haven't a **** clue.
Introductions are pretty meaningless at this point since both sides seem to love this bill. Big government out of your life hasn't been a thing since Reagan that's so old no one says that anymore.

Cosponsors of H.R.6572 - Countering CCP Drones Act

R Stefanik, Elise [R-NY21]Primary Sponsor
R Guthrie, Brett [R-KY2]May 6, 2024Energy and Commerce
R Gallagher, Mike [R-WI8]Original Cosponsor; No Longer Serving
R Mills, Cory [R-FL7]Sep 21, 2023
R Guest, Michael [R-MS3]Nov 8, 2023
R Moolenaar, John [R-MI2]Feb 7, 2024
R Williams, Brandon [R-NY22]Feb 14, 2024
D Krishnamoorthi, Raja [D-IL8]Mar 19, 2024
R Boebert, Lauren [R-CO3]Apr 9, 2024
R Cole, Tom [R-OK4]Apr 9, 2024
R Mast, Brian [R-FL21]Apr 9, 2024
R Rose, John W. [R-TN6]Apr 9, 2024
R Lawler, Michael [R-NY17]Apr 10, 2024
R Higgins, Clay [R-LA3]Apr 11, 2024
R Hinson, Ashley [R-IA2]Apr 11, 2024
R Alford, Mark [R-MO4]

Reactions: Seco
Introductions are pretty meaningless at this point since both sides seem to love this bill. Big government out of your life hasn't been a thing since Reagan that's so old no one says that anymore.
As I said, this is a knee jerk bill not unlike the paranoid TikTok bandwagon. How can any House Rep or Senator not blindly get on board a bill that is touted "national security concerns." Two thirds of these genuses, if not more, probably haven't a clue what's in the bill.

As I said, this is a knee jerk bill not unlike the paranoid TikTok bandwagon. How can any House Rep or Senator not blindly get on board a bill that is touted "national security concerns." Two thirds of these genuses, if not more, probably haven't a clue what's in the bill.
If most of them didn't have a clue, then this would have been easy to shut down. This bill is a publicity stunt to show that the US is tough on China.

If most of them didn't have a clue, then this would have been easy to shut down. This bill is a publicity stunt to show that the US is tough on China.
The "Anti CCP Drones Act" bill was authored by Elise Stefanik R/NY. It was voted for by 217 Republicans for and 199 Democrats against the bill. Yes, I believe you're correct. It is a publicity stunt by a do-nothing 118th US Congress.

The "Anti CCP Drones Act" bill was authored by Elise Stefanik R/NY. It was voted for by 217 Republicans for and 199 Democrats against the bill. Yes, I believe you're correct. It is a publicity stunt by a do-nothing 118th US Congress.
H.R.2864 - Countering CCP Drones Act was never voted on by the entire House as a standalone bill. It was approved by the House Committee on Energy and Commerce with a vote of 43 to 0. Instead of a House vote, it was added to the NDAA FY 25 bill. The 217 to 199 vote was on the entire NDAA bill. You can not take that vote as a referendum on the drone amendment.

H.R.2864 - Countering CCP Drones Act was never voted on by the entire House as a standalone bill. It was approved by the House Committee on Energy and Commerce with a vote of 43 to 0. Instead of a House vote, it was added to the NDAA FY 25 bill. The 217 to 199 vote was on the entire NDAA bill. You can not take that vote as a referendum on the drone amendment.
And?

H.R.2864 was tucked into the National Defense Authorization Act.

No one is going to vote against funding the military with 923.3 billion dollars for FY2025 because the drone bill was bundled into the package. The vote was 217:199 for the NDAA. The piddling little drone bill had no influence on the voting.

H.R.2864 was tucked into the National Defense Authorization Act.

No one is going to vote against funding the military with 923.3 billion dollars for FY2025 because the drone bill was bundled into the package. The vote was 217:199 for the NDAA. The piddling little drone bill had no influence on the voting.
Exactly

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mdecker72