DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Care to Cover Fly Aways?

Hmmm, I wonder if that will cover policies already purchased?

I was wondering what the app has to do with the Care. Basically DJI is adding the ability to tie your RC with the AC so that the SN is tracked, and if the AC is recovered, it can't be used.

I see an issue with this though. Many are using one remote with different models, particularly when the MA2 and MM2 are cross compatible. Granted you have to relink RC to AC each time you switch.

Then there's the SC which can link with multiple ACs.
And the M2 supports two concurrent RCs, one as a master, the other as a secondary

Granted it would be having the AC linked with a specific RC, rather than limiting the RC to only one AC. Sort of like a software license dongle.

I was wondering what the app has to do with the Care. Basically DJI is adding the ability to tie your RC with the AC so that the SN is tracked, and if the AC is recovered, it can't be used.

I see an issue with this though. Many are using one remote with different models, particularly when the MA2 and MM2 are cross compatible. Granted you have to relink RC to AC each time you switch.

Then there's the SC which can link with multiple ACs.
And the M2 supports two concurrent RCs, one as a master, the other as a secondary

Granted it would be having the AC linked with a specific RC, rather than limiting the RC to only one AC. Sort of like a software license dongle.
Good points. And (sorry to stray off topic) I await DJI update that’ll make SC compatible with mini2.

When you upgrade to Fly v1.2.4 and firmware v01.01.0610 for the MA2 you'll now see a "Device Management" section under your "Profile". This where you can update the RC binding for DJI Care FlyAway coverage.
1611714573274.png

======

1611714598072.png

======

1611714622362.png

I’m not real clear on their reason for wanting you to register your remote along with the AC. I don’t expect my remote to fly away, and there isn’t a replacement plan for a lost RC.
This isn’t a gift from DJI, they stand to gain something from this. Maybe I’m just skeptical.

Reactions: OldBlueHeron
I’m not real clear on their reason for wanting you to register your remote along with the AC.
This is the best explanation I have read as to why you have to bind your RC to the aircraft to activate FlyAway coverage.

Jason Duffy
Once you bind the drone to the controller no other controller can be used with the drone.
So if your drone does fly away and land somewhere, someone can't just find it and use another controller to operate their new drone.
Under "Device Management" is where you can bind or unbind the RC to the aircraft.

I bought Refresh from DJI, had an MM1 crash, and paid DJI for the replacement cost offered. Then I became a big boy and bought my MA2 along with State Farm insurance. Much better coverage (as I have my home and cars with them). No deductible and $50 a year (lost, stolen, damaged...).

MA 2 Flyaway replacement cost, current Refresh Care, is $A 514.60
So around $A 700, in total. Roughly about half the cost of a new MA 2 in Australia.
Better than nothing!
I'm wondering/looking for a private insurer, for a recreational drone coverage, in Australia. So far, no success.

This is the best explanation I have read as to why you have to bind your RC to the aircraft to activate FlyAway coverage.

Under "Device Management" is where you can bind or unbind the RC to the aircraft.
So basically the binding isn't just the SN, but DJI account. That could be used to prevent someone else from being able to bind another RC and/or account to the AC, but wouldn't prevent you from keeping both ACs, and switch bindings between them for same RC.
Unless binding changes will require app having internet access. That might explain why many were getting the user account authentication messages recently.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer