DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI does it again.

Yeahhhh, I should've checked other apps.
That's the FAA one.
Hmmm, that wasn't my brightest moment lol
Well, technically you were correct. :)

Being under 250 grams, here in Canada the Mini is exempt from pretty much every one of those other restrictions and only the ones marked on your map actually apply, like the one over the Parliament Buildings, as those are Class-F restrictions applicable to all RPAS regardless of weight.

Still, nobody should be flying their Mini's through airport control zones without permission, and the DJI Geo system will step in to prevent that anyhow.

TBH - If someone was to fly close to a nesting osprey, they deserve to lose their drone. Harassing wildlife is NOT, in any way, responsible, safe flying.
I launched from about 150 or so metres away, went up to 120m AGL, then another 500m away - in the opposite direction of the nest.
There is a second vantage point I would like to use, but the babies are starting to fly and it would be a bit too close to them.
That said, I got some ok video of the fledglings - with a conventional camera. The location of the nest attracts a lot of photographers. The nest is on a tall pole next to a large embankment. There is a sort of observation deck at the top of the embankment. The ospreys have been nesting there for some time and don't seem to see the photographers as any sort of threat, in spite of their proximity.

Here's a more-or-less random image from Tuesday (Canon SX60HS)
View attachment 109464
Great pic - how far away?

I live in an "Authorization Zone" according to DJI. So I was a little worried about how I can fly from home, but besides a little hassle of the 72 hour limit (need to authorize myself again and again ...), it works. Aviation authorities allow 50m height here, because I am more than 3km from the runway, but still in the CTR zone of the airport (current rules for Finland).

But to anyone who plans to fly near an airport (or any authorization zone), I can offer the following advice:
  • Check the location in the DJI Fly Safe map beforehand.
  • Unlock the authorization zone in advance, preferably at home.
    • Especially if this is your first unlocking, do it from a computer (technically possible to do on a phone, but tricky).
    • I would recommend do it at least a couple of hours beforehand, or maybe before you drive to location.
  • If you are unsure about mobile coverage, make sure the unlock is transferred to the app BEFORE you go to the scene. If you will not have any internet on site, the app will be unable to download the authorization.
  • Give yourself some extra time to setup. At least the DJI Fly / Mavic Air 2 combo likes to ask for all kinds of confirmations before actually unlocking the zone.
    • I would say at least 10-15 minutes the first time you do this
    • And 5 minutes for subsequent flights. Yesterday I had to try 4 times before the actual unlocking took place. I completed all the prompts, but it would just not unlock.
    • If no time is allowed for this process, you might miss if you have critical timing

I live in an "Authorization Zone" according to DJI. So I was a little worried about how I can fly from home, but besides a little hassle of the 72 hour limit (need to authorize myself again and again ...), it works. Aviation authorities allow 50m height here, because I am more than 3km from the runway, but still in the CTR zone of the airport (current rules for Finland).

But to anyone who plans to fly near an airport (or any authorization zone), I can offer the following advice:
  • Check the location in the DJI Fly Safe map beforehand.
  • Unlock the authorization zone in advance, preferably at home.
    • Especially if this is your first unlocking, do it from a computer (technically possible to do on a phone, but tricky).
    • I would recommend do it at least a couple of hours beforehand, or maybe before you drive to location.
  • If you are unsure about mobile coverage, make sure the unlock is transferred to the app BEFORE you go to the scene. If you will not have any internet on site, the app will be unable to download the authorization.
  • Give yourself some extra time to setup. At least the DJI Fly / Mavic Air 2 combo likes to ask for all kinds of confirmations before actually unlocking the zone.
    • I would say at least 10-15 minutes the first time you do this
    • And 5 minutes for subsequent flights. Yesterday I had to try 4 times before the actual unlocking took place. I completed all the prompts, but it would just not unlock.
    • If no time is allowed for this process, you might miss if you have critical timing
I arrived at my mission destination in what I thought was plenty of time. Plan was to make video of a ship transiting a St. Lawrence Seaway lock.
I got delayed because the zone still didn't want to unlock at first, and then my previous attempt (unlocked with my PC at home) finally showed up. THEN... I had to answer the questions.
It takes about 45 minutes from the time the gate at one end of the lock opens, until the gate at the other end closes. I'll call that the transit time.
During that time, there is a period of between 5 and 10 minutes while the ship is at a dead stop.
Timing sounds perfect, right?
Put the bird up for the first gate to pen and the ship to enter the lock. Hold it there until the ship is at a dead stop (about 20 minutes to travel around 200 metres).
Bring the bird home, do a quick battery swap and put it back up when you hear the ship's engines come back online. Us the recorded flight path to put it back where it was, then do a little cross-fade in post processing...
It worked just like that. Except... I hadn't topped up batteries #2 and #3 on the trip down to the lock and I didn't pay attention when I launched.
Still got some good footage, including a nice sweep with a radius of about 300 metres. EXCEPT ... I accidentally put the &^%*& camera in manual focus and touched the screen before I launched my third flight. The grass around the launch pad was in perfect focus. The ship, not so much.
Plus side - lots of lessons learned.
Also, when I landed, some kids and parents had lots of questions, so I flew my Tello for them and talked about some of the rules for flying.
It was a pretty good day.

I live within the restricted airspace of the Ottawa Airport.
Can't fly the Mavic Pro, but the Mini and Tello get some time in. :)
Why would you think the Mini is exempt? Just because it’s under 250 grams doesn’t mean you can fly in controlled airspace...it’s from 0 feet agl and up.

Why would you think the Mini is exempt? Just because it’s under 250 grams doesn’t mean you can fly in controlled airspace...it’s from 0 feet agl and up.

First: MY MISTAKE - I live within the controlled airspace of the Ottawa Airport - not restricted airspace.

Having cleared that up ...

Heavens no, I am not exempt at all!

The Canadian Aviation Regulations (SOR/96-433) clearly states the following:
900.06 No person shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person.

Further regulations apply only to small Remote Piloted Aircraft (those weighing 250 grams to 25 kilograms inclusive), and spell out specific requirements related to operator certification and the registration and operation of that class of aircraft.
Literally, none of the regulations after 900.06 apply to microdrones (those weighing less than 250g).

Transport Canada (TC), on the drone safety site, says that microdrones (drones weighing less than 250 grams) MUST: avoid emergency sites and restricted airspace; and follow provincial, territorial and municipal rules. (these typically pertain to park sites and other public spaces)

Please note that controlled airspace (classes A through E) is not the same as restricted (class F) airspace.

I live within the controlled airspace of the airport, and I go through the unlocking/permission process when I fly above my yard.

TC says I SHOULD: not fly a microdrone above 400 feet AGL; maintain VLOS; avoid advertised events; and avoid airports. Note that this is in contrast to the Part IX regulations for small Remote Piloted Aircraft specifically prohibit these activities unless covered by a Special Flight Operations Certificate.

Although it doesn't require unlocking and I don't go as high, the same rule: (900.06) applies to the Tello as it does to the Mavic Mini or any other microdrone.

I also don't fly the Mavic Mini outdoors with the prop guards attached, as that increases the takeoff weight above 250g - the drone would have to be registered and - when the takeoff weight goes above 250g it would be subject to all of the Part IX regulations. So, I only fly it naked (the Mavic Mini, that is, not me - enough people point and laugh when they see me, I don't need to add to it).

My current certificate (Basic) does not allow me to fly my Mavic Pro or Inspire within controlled airspace. When I need to fly within controlled airspace, my interim go-to is the mini (sometimes the Tello, just for fun).

You can find more information at the Transport Canada Drone Safety site.

I hope that this has cleared up any confusion I caused by accidentally typing restricted when I mean controlled.

The bottom line: I attempt, at all times, to operate my remotely piloted aircraft systems in such a manner as to avoid endangering or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zbip57
The bottom line: I attempt, at all times, to operate my remotely piloted aircraft systems in such a manner as to avoid endangering or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person.
Don does a good job of describing what's allowed or not for the Mini.

Reactions: kevbac
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet