DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Flaw Still Continues - Yaw combined with change in gimbal pitch causes jerk. MPP

RadioFlyerMan

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I've known about this problem for some time, and it didn't impact my videos until lately.

When the MPP is undergoing any yaw movement, a change in the pitch of the gimbal will cause a jerk. I have not found any change in parameters that will resolve this issue. Another reason I bring this up is because some pilots may mistake the hesitation in the video due to their phone, or iPad processing speed. It has nothing to do with the Go 4 or RC monitoring device.

You can apply stabilization in post (I'm using FCPX) to clean up the jerk, but it's not perfect. The best practice is to avoid the compound movement altogether.

Take a look...

Last edited:
What res are you recording at? Also, is your video real time or slowed down?

Good question. Real time. 4k, 30. It does the jerk whether recording or not. The rate of yaw makes no difference. And I know I’m not the only one. I’ve seen this before, but just didn’t think it was a big deal, until my latest video trip to Lake Superior. It messed up a few shots where I employed the compound movement. And my yaw and gimbal rates were very slow.

I was waiting for a DJI fix in some update, but I don’t think DJI will spend resources on such an old model.

If you have a theory, what do you think?

( your question gave me an idea... try the yaw/gimbal thing with no Go 4 active to eliminate some variables. Just RC. ... tomorrow)!

I've known about this problem for some time, and it didn't impact my videos until lately.

When the MPP is undergoing any yaw movement, a change in the pitch of the gimbal will cause a jerk. I have not found any change in parameters that will resolve this issue. Another reason I bring this up is because some pilots may mistake the hesitation in the video due to their phone, or iPad processing speed. It has nothing to do with the Go 4 or RC monitoring device.

You can apply stabilization in post (I'm using FCPX) to clean up the jerk, but it's not perfect. The best practice is to avoid the compound movement altogether.

Take a look...

Yep chasing this issue as we speak. It is a problem with the DJI Go4 app as it doesn't happen in any other app on the planet and also has to do with yaw synchronous follow because if you have that on the aircraft will no longer hesitate but the gimbal will. It also doesn't happen in sport mode because the parameter for yaw synchronous follow is disabled by default.

The only fix I have come upon is to disable yaw synchronous follow in the parameters section of Assistant 2 1.1.2 but I have come to realize that yaw synchronous follow was the answer to the MP and MPP awful yaw sensitivity issues so I can't win.

For now using any other app will solve the issue completely. Like Litchi for example. What shocks me is the issue has been around for so long but there are very few people that notice this. I didn't even notice it till someone pointed it out to me and now I cant un-notice it.

It drives me insane

Changing g_config_misc_cfg_follow_gimbal_yaw_ento 0 and turning off yaw synchronize follow in the gimbal settings of DJI Go 4 is the best solution(other than not using DJI Go 4) I've found but it might make your yaw motions less smooth.

Good question. Real time. 4k, 30. It does the jerk whether recording or not. The rate of yaw makes no difference. And I know I’m not the only one. I’ve seen this before, but just didn’t think it was a big deal, until my latest video trip to Lake Superior. It messed up a few shots where I employed the compound movement. And my yaw and gimbal rates were very slow.

I was waiting for a DJI fix in some update, but I don’t think DJI will spend resources on such an old model.

If you have a theory, what do you think?

( your question gave me an idea... try the yaw/gimbal thing with no Go 4 active to eliminate some variables. Just RC. ... tomorrow)!
It won’t occur I’m calling it.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
It won’t occur I’m calling it.

Thanks for the insight.

I’m going to follow up with more experiments. I stated that I thought the parameters didn’t make a difference. But apparently not true. I had turned off the follow in the gimbal settings but that didn’t resolve it, which is not the same thing you’re talking about. But based on your info, if I fly without Go4 connected it should not jerk.

I have ‘this same problem with a pre programmed mission on Litchi it happens in just one place where you say a combination of yaw and gimbal reposition takes place. I noticed that by changing the waypoint and POI positions just slightly that it no longer happens as if there is a glitch in just one place on the gimble. I thought maybe a speck of dust at first but after hours and hours of other recorded flights this has never happened again, I was recording in 4K 25fps, strange one as I noticed out of curiosity that no matter how many times I ran the original mission this always happens unless I move just that one waypoint and POI just slightly.

Thanks for the insight.

I’m going to follow up with more experiments. I stated that I thought the parameters didn’t make a difference. But apparently not true. I had turned off the follow in the gimbal settings but that didn’t resolve it, which is not the same thing you’re talking about. But based on your info, if I fly without Go4 connected it should not jerk.

No please still do your original experiment I’m anxious to find out if you have the same outcome.

No please still do your original experiment I’m anxious to find out if you have the same outcome.

You are absolutely correct... this jerk problem arrises from the Go 4 app. I flew without my iPad connected. No jerk. Then I connected the iPad, loaded the Go 4, but did not enter the FPV window. The jerk came back. I then removed the executing Go 4 but kept the iPad running, jerk went away.

Again I played with gimbal follow, etc. in the Go 4. Nothing resolved the issue.

Interesting that without the Go 4, the gimbal wheel appeared to work with the gain settings as programmed, at least while observing a few feet away. However, the 5 button, which I had set to gimbal up/down and other settings, did not work without the Go 4 being active.

------------ this is off topic ---------------------
I have questions regarding Litchi...
Are the flight records saved as in Go 4?
Are they downloadable just like in Go 4 through iTunes?
and finally, are they in the same file format?

The reason I'm asking is I have written my own software to track my flight records, summarize them and monitor battery health. I'd like to try Litchi, but I don't want my flight record system to get messed up. I never "upload" my flight records to DJI or any other web site.

You are absolutely correct... this jerk problem arrises from the Go 4 app. I flew without my iPad connected. No jerk. Then I connected the iPad, loaded the Go 4, but did not enter the FPV window. The jerk came back. I then removed the executing Go 4 but kept the iPad running, jerk went away.

Again I played with gimbal follow, etc. in the Go 4. Nothing resolved the issue.

Interesting that without the Go 4, the gimbal wheel appeared to work with the gain settings as programmed, at least while observing a few feet away. However, the 5 button, which I had set to gimbal up/down and other settings, did not work without the Go 4 being active.

The reason I'm asking is I have written my own software to track my flight records, summarize them and monitor battery health. I'd like to try Litchi, but I don't want my flight record system to get messed up. I never "upload" my flight records to DJI or any other web site.

I’m not sure how the mobile records work but full day files are still saved to the bird so you can just download them with Assistant 2. The formatting is a little different but you could use csvView to convert them to a standardized csv file.

Yea the 5D buttons and the C1/C2 buttons are run by the app. Take the app away and those buttons do nothing. The gimbal adjustment wheel settings are saved to the drone.

Since you know how to change parameters using Assistant 2 1.1.2 I’d be interested what you thoughts would be if you changed g_config_misc_cfg_follow_gimbal_yaw_en=1 to 0 instead and turn off yaw synchronized follow.

Seems to fix the issue completely but I’m trying to decide if it causes panning video to look less smooth

Since you know how to change parameters using Assistant 2 1.1.2 I’d be interested what you thoughts would be if you changed g_config_misc_cfg_follow_gimbal_yaw_en=1 to 0 instead and turn off yaw synchronized follow.

Seems to fix the issue completely but I’m trying to decide if it causes panning video to look less smooth
I'll do some homework on this...

Reactions: brett8883

First of all, I don't know who you are, but you are brilliant! Thanks for your help!

I tried the new parameters...
g_config_misc_cfg_follow_gimbal_yaw_en= 0
yaw_sensitive_gain=20
g_config_avoid_cfg_avoid_tors_rate_range=30
g_config_mode_sport_cfg_tors_gyro_range=30

The gimbal yaw change did fix the jerk issue. However, I found the net yaw speed and smoothness to be extremely inconsistent; almost uncontrollable to maintain a steady slow yaw rate. When I turned the g_config_misc_cfg_follow_gimbal_yaw_en back to 1, yaw consistency returned to normal. Of course the jerk came back, but let's ignore that for now.

HOWEVER... I did have a problem slowing the yaw rate down. The sport mode change worked fine. But I did not see a change in the minimum yaw rate in P mode g_config_avoid_cfg_avoid_tors_rate_range=30. I went back in to Assistant to double check, and the the changes had stuck. So maybe I did something wrong or incomplete to provide a valid test.

Based my experience with the sport mode change, I really like the ability to change the yaw rate and I hope to get it lower in the P-mode. In fact, that is now more important than fixing the jerk. Maybe I should lower it to 15?

Advice is welcome.

• Love
Reactions: brett8883
First of all, I don't know who you are, but you are brilliant! Thanks for your help!

I tried the new parameters...
g_config_misc_cfg_follow_gimbal_yaw_en= 0
yaw_sensitive_gain=20
g_config_avoid_cfg_avoid_tors_rate_range=30
g_config_mode_sport_cfg_tors_gyro_range=30

The gimbal yaw change did fix the jerk issue. However, I found the net yaw speed and smoothness to be extremely inconsistent; almost uncontrollable to maintain a steady slow yaw rate. When I turned the g_config_misc_cfg_follow_gimbal_yaw_en back to 1, yaw consistency returned to normal. Of course the jerk came back, but let's ignore that for now.

HOWEVER... I did have a problem slowing the yaw rate down. The sport mode change worked fine. But I did not see a change in the minimum yaw rate in P mode g_config_avoid_cfg_avoid_tors_rate_range=30. I went back in to Assistant to double check, and the the changes had stuck. So maybe I did something wrong or incomplete to provide a valid test.

Based my experience with the sport mode change, I really like the ability to change the yaw rate and I hope to get it lower in the P-mode. In fact, that is now more important than fixing the jerk. Maybe I should lower it to 15?

Advice is welcome.
Well thanks!

Yea that’s about where I am on the jerk issue as well.

As far as the yaw speed issue you have to have the front sensors on for that p-mode hack to work. For sensors off make sure that your yaw movement limit is 50 in the sensitivity section of the advanced menu of the main controller settings in DJI Go 4.

Those are the lowest Assistant 2 will allow you to set the yaw speed using a stock version of the firmware(mixed or otherwise)

I have however been able to make a custom firmware version which I have full control over the the minimums and maximums and everything inbetween using the FC Patcher. Now the FC Patcher is must more involved and takes a great deal of set up. It requires using the command line tools of windows and a Linux system.

Because it’s harder to make your own version I have some people that are beta testing the firmware version I made for myself as we speak and that conversation is happening at Different variants to modify Firmware

So if they are able to get that to work then on that custom firmware you can actually set the yaw movement limit as low a 1 if you want to lol. 5 has been working good for me in cinematic mode like REALLY good.

You can make your own if you are comfortable with using command line tools in Windows and Linux but otherwise you could wait till these guys find out if it works to just use my pre-made version.

Well thanks!

Yea that’s about where I am on the jerk issue as well.

As far as the yaw speed issue you have to have the front sensors on for that p-mode hack to work. For sensors off make sure that your yaw movement limit is 50 in the sensitivity section of the advanced menu of the main controller settings in DJI Go 4.

Those are the lowest Assistant 2 will allow you to set the yaw speed using a stock version of the firmware(mixed or otherwise)

I have however been able to make a custom firmware version which I have full control over the the minimums and maximums and everything inbetween using the FC Patcher. Now the FC Patcher is must more involved and takes a great deal of set up. It requires using the command line tools of windows and a Linux system.

Because it’s harder to make your own version I have some people that are beta testing the firmware version I made for myself as we speak and that conversation is happening at Different variants to modify Firmware

So if they are able to get that to work then on that custom firmware you can actually set the yaw movement limit as low a 1 if you want to lol. 5 has been working good for me in cinematic mode like REALLY good.

You can make your own if you are comfortable with using command line tools in Windows and Linux but otherwise you could wait till these guys find out if it works to just use my pre-made version.

Ok, I'll continue with what I have and watch your development going forward. I'll be back...

Ok, I'll continue with what I have and watch your development going forward. I'll be back...

I just posted a new mod I came up with and have been testing myself before I started with the custom firmware thing. In fact you kinda gave me the motivation that there are people who this would still benefit out there so I just went ahead and made a new post about it. Check it out Super Cinematic mode for Mavic Pro and MPP

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78