DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly App 1.2.2 new "Radar" view

Regarding the original question of the OP. The indication by the DJI APP is the same as those on most of the banking indicator used in real aircraft. I only learned it recently.

View attachment 120692

Wait, what? No way!

Let's read that again. I think you're misinterpreting what that actually says. The horizon is always shown tilting as it should. They're not saying the horizon moves in the opposite direction on some instruments. They're saying the banking scale indicator confusingly moves in the opposite direction on some instruments.

text.jpg

I've never seen an indicator move in the opposite direction, so I'm only guessing at what that's actually supposed to mean. If you can find an example somewhere, that would help.

The diagrams you posted show the "Bank scale" delineating the angle of bank. I'm not sure why they labelled that mark as the "Pointer", as it's merely the zero degree mark on the bank angle scale. The actual "Indicator" is the orange triangle.

Normally the plane's wings (orange) and the triangular scale indicator (orange) are fixed and don't move. Picture those as being engraved on the glass cover of the instrument. Everything else, including the white lines of the Bank Scale move with the horizon behind those orange marks.

BankScale.jpg

When the aircraft rolls to a 30° right bank, the orange wings and the orange triangle indicator stay fixed on the glass of the instrument. The horizon and the white scale markers roll left. It makes perfect sense that the indicator is now pointing at the Right side of the scale at the 30° mark.

30-Deg-Right.jpg

Like I said, I've never actually seen an indicator move the opposite direction. The only way I could imagine that working is if instead the orange triangle indicator mark is now painted onto the moving portion of the horizon display, and the white lines of the Bank Scale are instead engraved on the glass face of the instrument.

In this manner, as the aircraft is again banked 30° to the right, the Bank Scale remains fixed but the orange bank indicator always points up at the sky and rolls left with the horizon. So even though the indicator is pointing at 30° toward the left half of the scale, it's actually indicating the aircraft rolling to the right.

Yup, I can certainly see how, "This may confuse the pilot..."

30-Deg-Right-Opposite.jpg

I haven't had a chance to actually test the new attitude indicator for myself yet, because I'm on Android and the 1.2.2 Fly app still hasn't shown up in the Google Play Store. So today I sideloaded it directly from the DJI website.

It's kinda neat. It's doubly weird because while it's showing the Mini's attitude changing in flight, you see none of that happening in the camera view because of the gimbal's supersmooth stabilization. So, another first, I switched from Follow Mode to FPV Mode. I'd never tried that before.

FPV-Mode.jpg

With full-right stick input, the attitude indicator shows the aircraft banked to the right, while the horizon tilts left.
Full-Right.jpg

With full-left stick input, the indicator shows the aircraft baked left, while the horizon rolls right.
Full-Left.jpg

But I didn't realize beforehand that in FPV mode the camera is still stablized in Pitch. With full-forward stick input the horizon comes up on the indicator, but the camera view remains level.
Full-Forward.jpg

All the rest of it makes sense. I just wish the white line indicator moved consistently with the aircraft, rather than with the aircraft only in roll, but then with the horizon in pitch.

Their display represents the drone not the horizon, should be easy to switch left to right Depending what point of view you wish to look at it, either a pilot or someone watching.

Their display represents the drone not the horizon [...]
Yes, but it only represents the drone in roll.

In pitch it's instead representing the horizon. Nose goes down, horizon goes up.

That's what I find confusing. If it consistently represented the motion of the drone in both cases, the white lines should go down when the drone pitches forward.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121