DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly App 1.2.2 new "Radar" view

I recognized on several YT videos explaining the new "Radar" view, that the artificial horizon seems to be displayed to the wrong side. See the red lines in this screenshot - this is for my expectation how it should be. But in the radar view in the lower left corner, the white lines are displaying the artificial horizon exactly to the opposite side than the real horizon is in the picture. Am I mistaken or is this just not logical, as the same white line acts correctly for the cases "forward" (line moves up) and "backward" (line moves down)?

View attachment 120581
I don't get what everyone is complaining about, to me, it is exactly as it should be if you realize the white line is the aircraft NOT the horizon.

Because a Check by Google means an additional level of safety by one more independent validation step in the release process.
Again, having worked for companies that release mobile apps (though not our main business), you're putting waaaaaay more trust in Google's app validation process than it deserves. It's virtually a rubber stamp.

You only have to hover it towards and away from you in a wind from a known position to see how it behaves laterally. then descend and climb to see the pitch reaction. If you're at altitude and your drone is drifting this information will tell you why. if you are attempting to return home and making no progress you'll see that it's pitched down to the limit.
the drone has pitch and bank limits. The AH will indicate when the drone has reached them.

Reactions: Fun Flyer
But the sanctions have nothing to do with Google though. As you pointed out yourself, the new version of the app is available on the Apple Store. If it were a question of sanctions by the US government they should apply to the Apple Store as well, right?
That's what confuses me. But a Chinese phone manufacturer is prohibited from using Google services and that was brought up as an issue DJI might have. I wouldn't have believed it with DJI, but here we are with no updates from Play stated in writing, so it is plausible.

Again, having worked for companies that release mobile apps (though not our main business), you're putting waaaaaay more trust in Google's app validation process than it deserves. It's virtually a rubber stamp.
For me, it's a matter of automatic update delivery. An update comes out, Play notifies me, I tell it to go ahead and install.

Once you sideload, you no longer get the notifications. Unless you look for it or hear about it in forums, you might never know there's a new version.

It might not be an issue if the app itself checked for update of itself, but it doesn't. Only for firmware and Flysafe database.

Ok, I will need to check this in flight myself as soon as 1.2.2 is finally available in Google Play Store.
I just see the videos for this change and always have the feeling that this seems to be wrong like that.
I got the 1.2.2.0 from dji for android no issues so far every thing works great #ma2 its not in playstore

I can’t really get hung up with this new feature. I use the map feature more to check where I am and my orientation. It shows your route out and your route back. For me it’s more of a gimmick and information overload and can take away from my photography.

I can’t really get hung up with this new feature. I use the map feature more to check where I am and my orientation. It shows your route out and your route back. For me it’s more of a gimmick and information overload and can take away from my photography.
Well said... in Shakespeare’s words, “ Much Ado About Nothing”.

Reactions: old man mavic
I recognized on several YT videos explaining the new "Radar" view, that the artificial horizon seems to be displayed to the wrong side. See the red lines in this screenshot - this is for my expectation how it should be. But in the radar view in the lower left corner, the white lines are displaying the artificial horizon exactly to the opposite side than the real horizon is in the picture. Am I mistaken or is this just not logical, as the same white line acts correctly for the cases "forward" (line moves up) and "backward" (line moves down)?

View attachment 120581
The new attitude interface is similar to the pilot sitting in the cockpit, the Pitch and Roll indicator (2 Horizontal lines) show Pitch Horizon correctly. The Roll should also indicate the Horizon and not the tilt of the drone. It is reversed right now. I hope DJI software designers fix this.

Reactions: Zbip57 and AnGo
And if you get heads up inaccuracies, you have map landmarks to figure out where in real world to face your RC.

The new attitude interface is similar to the pilot sitting in the cockpit, the Pitch and Roll indicator (2 Horizontal lines) show Pitch Horizon correctly. The Roll should also indicate the Horizon and not the tilt of the drone. It is reversed right now. I hope DJI software designers fix this.
They won't. It's been that way since P3.
It's more intuitive in RC world to go by wing roll. Perhaps that's why they went to displaying lines than a shadow of a hemisphere.

Regarding the original question of the OP. The indication by the DJI APP is the same as those on most of the banking indicator used in real aircraft. I only learned it recently.

1609646963315.png

The indication by the DJI APP is the same as those on most of the banking indicator
No, it's not. You mix up here the fixed symbolic plane wings (yellow) and the AH (white) in your example. The yellow bars you refer to here is always fixed and for the viewer it is always horizontal (this in the APP corresponds to the physical horizontal alignment of the screen itself). The white horizon is the moving element. So, the moving element in the APP should also be the horizon, and not the fixed bars that represent the plane.

Reactions: boblui
For me i see a 'proper' use of an artificial horizon as an indicator of what the drone is having to do to fight the wind. A bit like FPV when side on to the wind or a quick switch to ATTI with the P3.
That said i don't often have the AH switched on in Go4 and I do not have 1.2 .* in the fly app nor will i for a while at least.
From the video I have seen this new FLY app thing does seem to act as an indicator of the direction, relative to the drone''s nose, of the home point and it looked more intuitive than the thing I currently have in the centre bottom of the screen.

I have not got into the habit of referring to the map so can't comment on its use in this context.
Very important info a must if your not looking at the way your aircraft is reacting to the weather up where we don’t really know what’s going the more info the better for me anyways.

Very important info a must if your not looking at the way your aircraft is reacting to the weather up where we don’t really know what’s going the more info the better for me anyways.
Agreed that it is useful but it also takes up a large amount of screen space, as that is already limited with my phones I do not have it on continually

I don't get what everyone is complaining about, to me, it is exactly as it should be if you realize the white line is the aircraft NOT the horizon.
If it was consistently showing one or the other, that would make sense. But it's not.

The white lines bank left or right as the aircraft banks left or right. So in roll the lines are indicating the aircraft's attitude. Aircraft rolls left wing down, the white lines show left wing down. Here it's showing the aircraft's movement.

If the white lines were also consistently showing the aircraft's movement in pitch, the lines should also mimic the motion of the aircraft here. When the aircraft moves forward its nose goes down, so one would expect the white lines to go down too. But they don't.

In pitch the lines are now instead showing the horizon's motion, rather than the aircraft's attitude. When the aircraft's nose goes down, the white lines go up. So in this axis, instead of showing the movement of the nose of the aircraft going down, the white lines are instead showing the movement of the horizon going up.

That's why the display is so confusing. It's not consistent in pitch versus roll. In pitch it's properly showing the motion of the horizon, but in roll it's instead showing the motion of the aircraft.

It's making me airsick just looking at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnGo
... it is exactly as it should be if you realize the white line is the aircraft NOT the horizon.
It's easier to show with pictures.

If the white lines here are showing the aircraft's attitude relative to the horizon, then this image would be showing the aircraft pitched nose down below the horizon and banked to the left.

If instead the lines are showing the attitude of the horizon relative to the aircraft, then this same image would be indicating the plane pitched nose up above the horizon, with the horizon rolled to the left.

Instead, DJI's attitude indicator is a confusing combination of the two, showing the plane's nose pitched up above the horizon, but with the plane's wings banked to the left.

02.jpg

Here's what a proper attitude display shows with the nose level (pitched neither up or down) and with the wings banked 45° to the right. Note that the dividing line between the blue sky and brown earth display on the instrument duplicates the actual angle of the horizon.

45DegBankRight.jpg

This instrument is vitally important when flying in conditions (like dense cloud) where you have no outside visual references and cannot see the actual horizon. In a coordinated 1 g turn, all of the inertial forces acting on your body will convince you that you are sitting perfectly upright with the wings level, even though they're not level. A glance at that instrument, blue above brown, instantly shows you where the horizon actually is.

If instead your instrument is showing you two white lines tilted to one side or the other, and you waste time trying to figure out what that means, it's probably already too late...

45DegBankRight-InCloud.jpg

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: AnGo
How about for pitch, consider tail position. Then it all fits.

For Go it's more confusing though I understand it, because it is represented by a pale blue hemisphere on the lower portion of the "radar". That could confuse someone used to an artificial horizon.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27