DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly App 1.2.2 new "Radar" view

AnGo

Reactions
I recognized on several YT videos explaining the new "Radar" view, that the artificial horizon seems to be displayed to the wrong side. See the red lines in this screenshot - this is for my expectation how it should be. But in the radar view in the lower left corner, the white lines are displaying the artificial horizon exactly to the opposite side than the real horizon is in the picture. Am I mistaken or is this just not logical, as the same white line acts correctly for the cases "forward" (line moves up) and "backward" (line moves down)?

horizon.JPG

Reactions: Zbip57 and Steel63
I recognized on several YT videos explaining the new "Radar" view, that the artificial horizon seems to be displayed to the wrong side. See the red lines in this screenshot - this is for my expectation how it should be. But in the radar view in the lower left corner, the white lines are displaying the artificial horizon exactly to the opposite side than the real horizon is in the picture. Am I mistaken or is this just not logical, as the same white line acts correctly for the cases "forward" (line moves up) and "backward" (line moves down)?

View attachment 120581
@AnGo i might be completely left field here ,but the bank angle display ,will respond exactly the same as what happens when the drone is either flying facing away from you or flying towards you .
if you set it up and fly away with the camera facing away and bank then turn so the camera faces you and see what the display does as you bank

Reactions: kidroc and Steel63
roll to go left and the LHS of the horizon rises
Yes, that's what I'd expect. But what happens is: Roll to left and the RHS of the horizon rises. That's totally confusing for my understanding.

Reactions: TDZHDTV and Steel63
Ahh my mistake sorry. Using a phone and missed the white line. The artificial horizon in the go4 app does something similar, it gets either pitch or roll 'wrong', I can't remember which

Reactions: Steel63 and AnGo
the lines are showing what the drone is doing when you bank ,and has no relationship to the real horizon

Ok, I will need to check this in flight myself as soon as 1.2.2 is finally available in Google Play Store.
I just see the videos for this change and always have the feeling that this seems to be wrong like that.

@AnGo dear fellow flyer please dont be offended by what i am going to say next,it is in no way meant to be insulting to you or anyone else on this forum,and if i get into trouble for saying it then so be it
in an attempt to make the app screen a bit more interesting ,then DJI in their wisdom have over the years added these radar like ,artificial horizon displays to the screen to make the flying experience a bit more real,in reality they are more of a fun factor ,and have no real benefit in how the drone flies ,the map on the other hand ,does serve a function as it shows the home point and the drones direction compared to the home point ,,to be honest the less time we spend looking at the screen, unless its to view important battery info,or what any warnings that pop up from time to time will have on the outcome of the flight, the better.

For me i see a 'proper' use of an artificial horizon as an indicator of what the drone is having to do to fight the wind. A bit like FPV when side on to the wind or a quick switch to ATTI with the P3.
That said i don't often have the AH switched on in Go4 and I do not have 1.2 .* in the fly app nor will i for a while at least.
From the video I have seen this new FLY app thing does seem to act as an indicator of the direction, relative to the drone''s nose, of the home point and it looked more intuitive than the thing I currently have in the centre bottom of the screen.

I have not got into the habit of referring to the map so can't comment on its use in this context.

Last edited by a moderator:
the lines are showing what the drone is doing when you bank ,and has no relationship to the real horizon

I'd agree with AnGo, for it to work this way is counter intuitive, you'd want the white line to bank in the same direction as the drone banks as you look forward from it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steel63
Ok, I will need to check this in flight myself as soon as 1.2.2 is finally available in Google Play Store.
I just see the videos for this change and always have the feeling that this seems to be wrong like that.
You might have a long wait. Since it's not in Play by now and the release notes say to obtain it from DJI site, and DJI shows version 1.2.1 available from Play and 1.2.2 from download, and DJI being on the "sanctions" list, it would be reasonable to say the update won't appear in Play at all. Why you can get the update from Apple App store is another question.

You might have a long wait. Since it's not in Play by now and the release notes say to obtain it from DJI site, and DJI shows version 1.2.1 available from Play and 1.2.2 from download, and DJI being on the "sanctions" list, it would be reasonable to say the update won't appear in Play at all. Why you can get the update from Apple App store is another question.
I don't hope so. This thread at least gives another explanation for the delay - however it is indeed already huge.

DJI in their wisdom have over the years
For sure, they will have their reasons for giving it away like that. But I better try to totally ignore this line, as it would intuitively cause me to push the controller into exactly the wrong direction to compensate.
I for my part I was happy with the old simple and clear orientation indicator in the lower center of the screen, and I'd be glad if DJI in their wisdom could just add a config entry to toggle between old and new orientation display :)

I wouldn't think DJI would put it in their written release notes if it was just a matter of evaluation delay.

I suspect it's because of the sanctions.

I wouldn't think DJI would put it in their written release notes if it was just a matter of evaluation delay.

I suspect it's because of the sanctions.

But the sanctions have nothing to do with Google though. As you pointed out yourself, the new version of the app is available on the Apple Store. If it were a question of sanctions by the US government they should apply to the Apple Store as well, right?

I don't hope so. This thread at least gives another explanation for the delay - however it is indeed already huge.
I don’t see what the issue is. The latest version of DJI Fly is available on the official DJI download page, so why wait for it in the Play store?

why wait for it
Because a Check by Google means an additional level of safety by one more independent validation step in the release process. To minimize risk of issues that DJI didn't or cannot verify. For controlling a device that costs >1000 bucks, I feel less comfortable to use the APK from DJI page, even if it is an official release. Safety first. I personally trust it better when it is released in the Play Store. Just my opinion.

1.2.2, is available for the Android phone, at the DJI download website. Apple version is shown, Google play store is shown, and Android version is shown. You can sideload the Android version from the DJI website.

@AnGo dear fellow flyer please dont be offended by what i am going to say next,it is in no way meant to be insulting to you or anyone else on this forum,and if i get into trouble for saying it then so be it
in an attempt to make the app screen a bit more interesting ,then DJI in their wisdom have over the years added these radar like ,artificial horizon displays to the screen to make the flying experience a bit more real,in reality they are more of a fun factor ,and have no real benefit in how the drone flies ,the map on the other hand ,does serve a function as it shows the home point and the drones direction compared to the home point ,,to be honest the less time we spend looking at the screen, unless its to view important battery info,or what any warnings that pop up from time to time will have on the outcome of the flight, the better.

Regarding the OP's original question, if the attempt by DJI is to place an Artificial Horizon Indicator, such level should be with respect of the aircraft in first person, since there is a camera view enabled. As to why it's not currently showing the conventional Horizon level, I am not sure. My old man would say "anything worth doing, it's worth doing right".

I have otherwise no major complaints in the way DJI has been improving the Application and providing more features for drones.
When it comes to adding overlay information on the display though, there is a matter of how much information is available, at what stage of flight certain indicators are most useful, and the options of de-cluttering the screen if needed.

In aviation, the data overlays come through Heads Up Displays. These offer usually at least two different levels of de-clutter, in order to remove unwanted / not needed information from the display. Yes, one might say to compare a high performance aircraft with a mere recreational drone is a bit too far a ways to go, but since DJI has made the effort to put this really useful information there, I believe the effort (if nothing else for future releases) should be focused on allowing customization of the information that appears on the screen, or showing specific data sets during specific flight processes. For instance, take-off and landing, vs Cruising, vs Recording.

It's probably overkill and rather silly to show an example from actual HUD/Overlays, but being able to switch modes in the way information is being displayed, is vital for effective and proficient use of those features. Notice the difference in clutter -amount of info available to the pilot- during two different stages of flight (takeoff vs Cruising):

2021-01-02 06_44_51-Window.png

I am hoping that DJI will move in that direction, as they find more data to make available to the pilot through the DJI App. I wholeheartedly agree that the drone should not be flown merely by staring at the screen, though I do submit that since the information is there and it's available, it should be put to good use.

Happy flights, and all the best for 2021.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent