DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly App 1.4.2 update

So if you have Apple as I understand the latest news, DJI has pulled the toggle off the Fly App, too many people do not understand the issue as I have outlined and continue to blame DJI (As well as any other interface) IF I understand correctly, Apple devices have this system built into their devices in the iOS system, DJI just used a shortcut to that command and implemented it into the App. For those who use Apple products and understand them, you must have a certain level of charge to trigger the on screen charge indicator.

Old chargers (Non Apple) only provide 500ma or up to 1.0 amp (Old Android Chargers). These will not trigger the charge indicator even though Apple is still receiving a charge (Power off and it will still full charge your Apple). I suggest people look and see if they have their apple set up properly in their settings, Google "USB Restricted Mode" and adjust accordingly. Apple takes a 2.0 Amp and higher to show actual charge which the DJI controller will not supply...unless of course DJI found a way to full energize the USB to allow for such.
While I am not sure exactly how Apple implements its charging cycles, it does not have any specific settings for charging in its configuration other than low power mode that I am aware of. In Lower Power Mode, the device will disable or slow some operations down to extend battery life.

While I am sure there are power minimums to begin to charge properly, Apple also manages charging under some conditions as it will tell you in a notification that charging will complete by setting optimize battery charging..

As you noted, Android devices are different.. DJI seems to have issues with their Android builds because of the extensive fragmentation of this OS.. its not the same in all cases across devices.. Which is why DJI try to make recommendations as to which one's to use . They are probably also different in how they manage power across devices as well..

I noted in another, that I thought it was better to start flying with a fully charged device (no matter which one) and I thought it was not a good idea to suck power from the RC. While this may or may not be that big an issue, as long as everything is charged enough to complete your flight sessions safely, then it really doesn't make much difference.

I don't think its DJI's problem either, if Android and those who make those devices could ever get its act together and have some consistency across devices, things would just work better..

I am just an amateur hobbyist at this drone thing... but DJI seems to be splintering into a confusing MESS, with ... Update Versions, Phone Versions, Drone Versions, Country Versions, even depends sometimes of what your phone's OS Version is. What a MESS!! This is going to drive hobbyist away from this company in my humble opinion.
The confusing mess here is in most cases (IMHO) is related to Android devices and the lack of consistency across the many devices in this device ecosystem from hardware to the plethora of Android versions.
1621867809840.png

This is why DJI has trouble getting Android to work consistently with all devices and why in some cases I think, multiple versions of their software probably show up in quick succession. Firmware is a different story, but they've had issues there too it seems, it would be nice if it were perfect every time, but I don't care what the app is, its never perfect.

IOS on other hand, has its different releases, 11,12,13, 14, etc with the bug, feature or security fixes in .X releases, but development and compatibility across versions is pretty consistent.

just my 2 cents.

DJI Fly 1.4.3 with? continuous charging on iPhone working now??
does not charge on any ipad at all !!! works on phones i think. still not fixed ..

does not charge on any ipad at all !!! works on phones i think. still not fixed ..
I would be willing to bet (a nickle :p £1.4 ) that it is indeed charging your iPad, just not showing it on charge indicator, or at a rate higher than your using with your iPad powered on. If there was a way to connect your controller to the iPad and turn off ipad and leave the controller on for say half hour without it beeping to hell, I'm thinking you will see that;)

"We" have been using these things for years and have confirmed it: https://www.amazon.com/Diymore-Char...t=&hvlocphy=9010649&hvtargid=pla-569138005859

Last edited:
I would be willing to bet (a nickle :p £1.4 ) that it is indeed charging your iPad, just not showing it on charge indicator, or at a rate higher than your using with your iPad powered on. If there was a way to connect your controller to the iPad and turn off ipad and leave the controller on for say half hour without it beeping to hell, I'm thinking you will see that;)

"We" have been using these things for years and have confirmed it: https://www.amazon.com/Diymore-Char...t=&hvlocphy=9010649&hvtargid=pla-569138005859
it clearly says not charging ......after its flashed up with the charging symbol and thats gone off.i would bet a nickle its not charging ;)

it clearly says not charging ......after its flashed up with the charging symbol and thats gone off.i would bet a nickle its not charging ;)
I clearly explained the charge indicator in post #48. I can plug my iPad Pro into my $2500 gamer laptop and the iPad reports "not charging" as well. ;) But I know that it is...just not as fast as Apple deems from a stock Apple Charger. Apple checks the cable for authentication...(Charge indicator comes up) Then checks for correct current and voltage, as it has correct voltage just not current...it shuts off the charge indicator....as I said been doing the same thing for 6 years on all DJI...not my first rodeo, I bought Apple for my first DJI some 6 years ago. Every time a new DJI hits the market these forums are again riddled with the same posts from the past regarding this "issue".

Last edited:
I clearly explained the charge indicator in post #48. I can plug my iPad Pro into my $2500 gamer laptop and the iPad reports "not charging" as well. ;) But I know that it is...just not as fast as Apple deems from a stock Apple Charger.
well its been ok for the last year on the fly app so DJI have messed up somehow again .....i wish i could go back to 1.4.0 no issues on that ,i wish they would leave things alone that are not broken ie, the charge slide switch worked just perfect so why in hell did they remove it ???

well its been ok for the last year on the fly app so DJI have messed up somehow again .....i wish i could go back to 1.4.0 no issues on that ,i wish they would leave things alone that are not broken ie, the charge slide switch worked just perfect so why in hell did they remove it ???
I suspect that they just got tired of hearing the same thing all over again....from the Android crowd. As I have seen they have promised to put it back...so time will tell. Trust me far more complain than like things, so DJI just says heck with it till complaints drop, they can't please everyone. No toggle...people complain...give them a toggle people complain, Make Toggle default to on, people complain....Toggle default to off...well you get the idea...you can't please everyone so they take the least common denominator normally, Take care mate :)

I use a FPV (wifi only) dedicated iPhone 8 plus and always leave the house with a full charge. I can fly 3 batteries and still be at 70% on my phone. I therefore opt not to use the RC for charging. So, until (if ever) DJI decides to give us back the toggle switch option, I will remain on 1.4.2. The RC seems to take forever to recharge even with only one light blinking, I can't see going through all that hassle every other day or so!

Pushing 500ma to the phone happens when the usb device acts as an android accessory and the two devices (usb device / androidwhatever) switch roles. As far as I know, the phone becomes the accessory to the accessory which is now the host.

If that confuses you, congratulations, you aren't a programmer and still find joy in your life

It was just explained in the previous post that DJI is not at fault. Remember, they have to deal with dozens of phone manufacturers, each with different electronics, even by model by the same company. They do pretty darn good making them all work well with their app and controllers. When you buy almost anything electronic today, even TVs, it is never the final product when you walk out the door with it as there are unforeseen issues, changes in other company products, so updates are not only necessary but a necessity and appreciated to keep things working well together. Often new features can even be offered, improvements that you didn't expect.
No, he's right, DJI's software team is a hot mess.

You can't get the Fly app on the Google servers after it was discovered that the DJI app can update itself with whatever it feels like (and does-- don't let DJI Fly install apps from untrusted sources or that update you're getting could be anything). This was a violation of the googles store policy on updates needing to come only the Play store.

That, combined with the telemetry data which is now on AES lockdown, and you're basically sending off to China whatever they please, but trust us, it's just flight data. That we don't allow you to view. Because... uh. Actually there's no good reason (tampering could be detected while still exposing all of the data for you to view so it's not for insurance fraud reasons).

So yeah, enjoy.

Reactions: ninja_geezer
Has this been released in the UK & Europe? I ask because I've gone to the DJI Download site to check. (Android phone) It only shows the 1.4.0. I'm in the US. I've seen YouTube videos that talk about 1.4.2.

Regarding the phone charging, is it actually not charging or just not in the menu? I ask because I have a Samsung S9 phone and the phone charging is not in the menu either, but when I hook the phone cable up to the RC, the phone starts charging without doing anything.
The DJI Download Centre for Australia now(26 May 2021) shows 1.4.2 for both the Android and iphone versions. DJI Fly - Download Center - DJI

1.4.3 is out there now.. so probably this version is working its way around to these various download sites.
yes 1.4.3 was out last Sunday its still not right though no ipad charging working at all....

yes 1.4.3 was out last Sunday its still not right though no ipad charging working at all....
I find this feature highly over-rated and not even worth worrying about. If you go out to fly and your devices are not fully charged to start with, why would you want to drain your RC to charge your phone or tablet. A fully charged phone or tablet should let you fly easily for an hour or more. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me (IMHO).

I find this feature highly over-rated and not even worth worrying about. If you go out to fly and your devices are not fully charged to start with, why would you want to drain your RC to charge your phone or tablet. A fully charged phone or tablet should let you fly easily for an hour or more. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me (IMHO).
i get your drift but its a great backup.tablets and phones drain fast the controller battery is a beast.its save me a couple of times on my last air 2 i had.

i get your drift but its a great backup.tablets and phones drain fast the controller battery is a beast.its save me a couple of times on my last air 2 i had.
Perhaps its just me, but my phone does not drain fast at all when I am flying, and of course the screen is its 100% if its bright out and that of course consumes power.. But even if I go through a couple batteries, I still have plenty of power in my iPhone..

I realize that some have older phones or tablet batteries that may not be in great condition perhaps, but there are cheap alternatives to relying on this charge from RC feature to keep your device battery going through the day.

If you start full with a full charge, unless you plan to burn through several batteries of flying, even then your should have power left in the device if you started full, then all you need is a USB cable in your car to charge it while you drive home or perhaps even to the next place your flying, assuming one has a somewhat recent vehicle. Even then of course, if not, there are CLA chargers and external battery bricks to keep things going.

I fly with a ipod touch, with the upgrade 1.4.3 I can no longer get the charge my phone button, the dji support says it's automatic but it doesn't work for ipad's or ipod's, so what to do.

I fly with a ipod touch, with the upgrade 1.4.3 I can no longer get the charge my phone button, the dji support says it's automatic but it doesn't work for ipad's or ipod's, so what to do.
Nothing, unless DJI decides to fix it, you just need to make sure your iPod Touch is fully charged before you fly.

if your iPod Touch battery does not last very long, and you were relying on this feature to solve this problem, I don't consider that a fix. Go find some place that can replace the battery in the device, so that because its new would have a much longer life.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev