DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly cast to Epson BT-300 without the need for wi-fi connection only the devices connected to each other

lannes

Reactions
Hi all

Been experimenting with the Epson BT-300 and casting DJI Fly from an android device (Samsung S8) without both devices being connected to wi-fi network (internet)
This solution allows you to have only the BT-300 glasses/ controller box and your phone in the field using the mobile hotspot from the phone/tablet to connect them
It will allow you to see the camera view from DJI Fly so you can fly both the Mavic Air 2 and the Mavic Mini using the glasses with acceptable latency.
Much simpler solution than using ATV and extra battery packs etc.

Here are the steps to setting it up.

1) Download and install Apowermirror apk onto the Epson BT-300, I used apkpure.com via the BT-300 internal browser

2) Download and install Apowermirror on your phone/tablet from the google play store

3) Set up a mobile hotspot on your phone / tablet and turn it on

4) Turn off wi-fi on your phone/tablet and turn off mobile data as well.

5) On the Epson BT-300 go into wi-fi settings and connect to your phone/ tablet hotspot (usually called "Android AP")

6) On the Epson BT-300 open up Apowermirror

7) On the phone/tablet open up Apowermirror and tap the cast button, you should see it search and then find the Epson BT-300 as device, tap on it to select it

8) Power up the MM connect it to the RC and phone etc. and run the DJI Fly app
This can be done at anytime as your merely mirroring the screen

9) You should then see the phone/tablet mirrored to the BT-300, so when your in DJI Fly camera view you'll see the whole flight screen as a massive 80in screen in the sky.

Testing so far
  • Will allow Mavic Air 2 and Mavic Mini pilots to use the Epson BT-300 glasses
  • Latency in testing is good with no significant delay in the video feed to the Epson bt-300
  • Haven't had much interference issues affecting the mobile hotspot as the both devices are so close together
  • Not sure if the solution is using the cellular link on the phone, but as you have turned off mobile data it should not have an impact
  • Still have to look down at the phone/tablet screen to make DJI Fly changes
  • Works with Litchi Beta (Mavic Mini support) running on a android phone/tablet as your just mirroring the screen
  • Wireless casting to the BT-300 should work with the CS using Dronelink, but I don't like this app for free flight

Last edited:
How have you found the contrast on these - is the image clear on a sunny day against the sky?

How have you found the contrast on these - is the image clear on a sunny day against the sky?

I use either the Epson Dark Shade or the Rochester Optical Mirror shade depending on the glare outside, if you block out too much of the light transmission you can't see thru the glasses but you can see the image from the screens better.

If you look directly at the sun the contrast is not good, it's like wearing sunglasses and kinda of behaves in the same way

1599022623575.png1599022656682.png

This is magic!
It allows my BT-300 to watch Litchi!
It safeguards my BT-300 investment for future upgrades/investments (Mavic Air 2 or Mavic mini)
It gives more security in case the BT-300 malfunctions (heating up)
I will now have a real dual screen - mobile phone and BT-300
I installed programs on BT-300 and mobile phone, it works perfectly!
I will do a real DJI Mavic Air 1 flight tomorrow with this setup.
I consider using this setup for all future flights even for DJI Go 4. (reducing complexity on BT-300 with minimum setup & programs)
I keep you posted!
ThumbswayupTHANK YOU Lannes Thumbswayup

Reactions: pelagic_one
This is magic!
It allows my BT-300 to watch Litchi!
It safeguards my BT-300 investment for future upgrades/investments (Mavic Air 2 or Mavic mini)
It gives more security in case the BT-300 malfunctions (heating up)
I will now have a real dual screen - mobile phone and BT-300
I installed programs on BT-300 and mobile phone, it works perfectly!
I will do a real DJI Mavic Air 1 flight tomorrow with this setup.
I consider using this setup for all future flights even for DJI Go 4. (reducing complexity on BT-300 with minimum setup & programs)
I keep you posted!
ThumbswayupTHANK YOU Lannes Thumbswayup

Glad you found it of use, hopefully the latency will be small enough that it will allow you to fly safely.
I guess you could always look down at the phone in an emergency.
Make sure the phone is full charged, I'm not sure how the battery life will be with the hotspot on.

Using Apowermirror set at 544P, definition "standard" (default as installed)

(A) I tested Moverio BT-300 (placed in my pocket) mirrored
from mobile phone (my old Huawei Honor dedicated for drone)
Wifi tetering:
- DJI GO 4 and DJI Mavic Air 1
- Litchi v4.170-g and DJI Mavic Air 1

(B) I tested Moverio BT-300 mirrored
from mobile phone (Xiaomi Pocophone F1)
on home Wifi
and bluetooth earbuds:
- TV streaming program 1080P (Tadaam/Telenet)
- YouTube film 1080P
- VLC movie 4K on network disk

All went very smooth
Resolution is 544P on BT-300 and some blocks at scene switches.
Good enough to become my mirrored drone companion...

I changed Apowermirror set at 1080P, definition "Ultra" and "Quality"
Now tests in (B) are perfectly smooth & no blocks anymore!
I need to do drone tests (A) with higher resolution now

More tests with the Moverio BT-300 used as a "second screen"

Apowermirror set at 1080P was too hefty for my older Huawei Honor 5X (dedicated for my drone works), occational video grayouts and it operated jittery.

Apowermirror set at 720P, mirroring definition "HD and High Quality" work quite well!

I set the thetering Wifi (2.4 GHz) on the Honor 5X for only one user and no "wpa2 PSK"

Note: Honor 5X cannot install the newer DJI Fly...

More tests with the Moverio BT-300 used as a "second screen"

Apowermirror set at 1080P was too hefty for my older Huawei Honor 5X (dedicated for my drone works), occational video grayouts and it operated jittery.

Apowermirror set at 720P, mirroring definition "HD and High Quality" work quite well!

I set the thetering Wifi (2.4 GHz) on the Honor 5X for only one user and no "wpa2 PSK"

Note: Honor 5X cannot install the newer DJI Fly...

I was wondering if you get reduced latency and better quality if you set the hotspot to 5.8ghz, 5.8 actually provides more bandwidth but a shorter range ?
It might also help if you set the MA to the opposite frequency e.g. 2.4ghz if the hotspot is 5.8ghz

My Huawei Honor 5X (for drone use) only supports 2.4 GHz.

So I tried tried my Xiaomi Pocophone F1 setup with Wifi thetering 5 GHz:
Could not make it to mirror to Moverio BT-300.
Re-tested with 2.4 GHz thethering and mirroring works fine.
BT-300 is probably 2.4 GHz Wifi only...

Just for test: my Xiaomi Pocophone F1 installs DJI Fly app, so I am ready for the future here ;-)

My Huawei Honor 5X (for drone use) only supports 2.4 GHz.

So I tried tried my Xiaomi Pocophone F1 setup with Wifi thetering 5 GHz:
Could not make it to mirror to Moverio BT-300.
Re-tested with 2.4 GHz thethering and mirroring works fine.
BT-300 is probably 2.4 GHz Wifi only...

Just for test: my Xiaomi Pocophone F1 installs DJI Fly app, so I am ready for the future here ;-)

The BT-300 supports both, but at least you have it working with one.

1600105375946.png

Iannes,

Today I did successfull flights :cool:

Xiaomi Pocophone F1 setup with Wifi thetering 5 GHz, Apowermirror set at 1080P, definition "Ultra" and "Fluent".
Moverio BT-300 used as a "second screen" using 5 GHz Wifi!

DJI Mavic Air 1 using Wifi 2.4 GHz.

All went very smooth, no hick-ups.
Today's maximum height 120 m and distance 347 m

My "old Huawei Honor 5X " will not be used for drone anymore o_O

Iannes,

Today I did successfull flights :cool:

Xiaomi Pocophone F1 setup with Wifi thetering 5 GHz, Apowermirror set at 1080P, definition "Ultra" and "Fluent".
Moverio BT-300 used as a "second screen" using 5 GHz Wifi!

DJI Mavic Air 1 using Wifi 2.4 GHz.

All went very smooth, no hick-ups.
Today's maximum height 120 m and distance 347 m

My "old Huawei Honor 5X " will not be used for drone anymore o_O

Nice, well done, I guess you've proven that using a different frequency to the drone control frequency helps reduce the latency of the cast to the BT-300 :)

Yes!

And the beauty is that the Moverio is so suited for the future too.

I wish they would release a new 64bit based android control unit, running Android 10 that allows us to upgrade keeping the original glasses

Used your method with my BT glasses to Samsung note 8 and it works very well, very little latency i could hardly notice it
my first attempt was to mirror with miracast and airscreen latency was over one second
and epson tell you airmirror and airdroid will do it well not for me
good info lannes
and really these glasses are old and really need a major upgrade, dji seems to be favoring the fly app with the newer drones
so epson pull your finger out

I have been using this Moverio BT-300 solution many, many times now
and I used it with DJI GO4 v4.3.36(967-official) and Litchi v4.18.0-g on a Xiaomi Pocophone F1 (Android 10)
It is ideal for DJI GO4, Litchi... and when I acquire a mini 2 it will also work for DJI Fly!
The BT-300 to "fly like a bird view", the mobile phone for quick and easy selections (f.e. photo/film luminosity, wifi selection, ...)

Last edited:
Maybe it's a N00b question, but does the android unit even need to have cellular service? it appears to be local-only connections

The Pocophone F1 USB connector is used to connect to the DJI Mavc Air controller.
The BT-300 unit USB connector has no free USB port to connect to on mobile phone/tablet, so Wifi is the only solution!
My experience is best with Wifi Tethering from mobile phone only and with 4G and Wifi disabled.

Last edited:
Maybe it's a N00b question, but does the android unit even need to have cellular service? it appears to be local-only connections

It will need a cellular service if you want real time updates to the map in DJI Fly or DJI Go4

Think this would work with iOS? It appears there is an app for iOS or does it all have to be android?
EDIT: Further research shows you can do iOS to iOS, not sure on iOS to Android. I have sent out an email to ask.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS