DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly location error

JP_CACIKE

Reactions
I posted this photo around July 11 2021 and here I'm having to write about it again, after hearing from DJI several times that they would have their software engineers look at it.
I have gone to one of my regular spots over the last two years) and fly without restrictions because it is not in controlled airspace and no where near a restricted zone. Suddenly, today again, I'm getting this message that 25 miles from the NY Yankee stadium, I'm being restricted. My MA2 doesn't fly more than 11 miles. So what's up? Are you telling me that DJI is restricting it when neither Airmap or Aloft sees any restrictions? Let's try to figure this out guys. I already uninstalled it (DJI Fly) several times and every other suggestion that DJI has asked me to follow has been done. This "location error" has occurred with both DJI Fly v1.4.4 and now with v1.4.8.

If anyone else has experienced this let me know. Thanks and HFTA!

Attachments

• DJI Location Error.PNG
    DJI Location Error.PNG
    3 MB · Views: 27
Just tossing out an idea. (Thunderstorms here, so no flying for now.)

Check the latitude and longitude in the EXIF information from one of your photos and verify that the position given by the GPS is correct for your actual location. It might be possible that the GPS module has an error and believes that it's located near the stadium.

Assuming you are in the US. Your screen says a TEMPORARY restriction is about to occur. Have you checked local NOTAMS? Last week my area was shutdown - no flights allowed - because a troop of performing fighters, the Warbirds, were flying in the area.

ps: and looking at New York vicinity, I see this:
August 28-29, 2021New York International Airshow
New Windsor, NY
USAF Thunderbirds
USAF F-22 Raptor Demo
US Navy F/A-18 Super Hornet Demo

It's not uncommon for the FAA to close down multiple airports and flight corridors between them when jets are performing. Normally speed limits exist so 100kt planes aren't knocked out of the air by a 250kt jet idling by. NOTAMs close the airspace so the jets can takeoff from airport A - fly fast and perform at airport B - then land at airport A or C.

And these events. All seem to correlate to when you have had your 'location errors' ...

Last edited:
Thank you MS Coast and eEridani for your advice. Let me respond to MS Coast first, I will check the EXIF information and get back to you since I am not familiar with that file. Secondly, eEridani, that was interesting observation since I saw the news story about the War Birds and I couldn't get up there and it being only 20 miles away. Thank you for the calendar too. This issue started back on July 11th and I'm not sure if I got the messages during the War Birds exhibition but I can check that later. What I do know is it has occurred when there were no TFR's and NOTAMS affecting my area radius of over 20 miles. This has occurred only four or five times mostly in the month of July and possibly in August 2021. Regardless, it's great to know that none of us are alone here, when we need help and advice. That's a wonderful thing especially with all the challenges we face in our daily lives. In my part of the world (NY) we recently have lost people to floods as in Louisiana. We need to support each other as well as those out West with their forest fires. Luckily, we all have our drones and each others support to enjoy those precious minutes to fly above and hopefully forget our daily stresses, even if for only a fleeting time.
Guys, I'll check the EXIF and get back to you. Thanks and HFTA!

Reactions: MS Coast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada