DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Flyaway Package

BraveProgram

Reactions
So now that the DJI Flyaway Package is a thing, has anyone ever used this? I personally think that losing drones in this way is a rare occurrence (unless you consider irretretrievable crashes as flyaways), but do you think that getting Flyaway Coverage would be a wise investment that you will be using?

Hello BraveProgram:

The cost to replace a lost drone under the Flyaway coverage is higher than that of replacing a recoverable drone - which makes sense to me. The Flyaway coverage is not a separate policy - it is included under DJI’s normal Care Refresh or Care Refresh + plans. So if you purchase one of those and then decide to bond your aircraft to your account and to your controller you’re covered.

The bonding to a single controller is the only disadvantage I see (in my case). I have a Mini 2 and an Air 2 - both of which can use the same controller. I assume I could bond them both to the same controller but I chose to keep them separate as I use a tablet mount on the Air 2 controller and left the Mini 2 controller bare to keep it’s size small. I have not investigated how easy it is to change the ”bonding” of an aircraft to a controller.

While the bonding is a bother, I understand it is required by DJI as it provides a second step in preventing a “flyaway” drone from being passed to another user.

I agree with you that Flyaways are rare and I’m not overly concerned about losing a drone that way. However, as you also mention, I can easily imagine losing a drone due to a crash where the wreckage is unrecoverable.

Howard

Reactions: old man mavic
Hello BraveProgram:

The cost to replace a lost drone under the Flyaway coverage is higher than that of replacing a recoverable drone - which makes sense to me. The Flyaway coverage is not a separate policy - it is included under DJI’s normal Care Refresh or Care Refresh + plans. So if you purchase one of those and then decide to bond your aircraft to your account and to your controller you’re covered.

The bonding to a single controller is the only disadvantage I see (in my case). I have a Mini 2 and an Air 2 - both of which can use the same controller. I assume I could bond them both to the same controller but I chose to keep them separate as I use a tablet mount on the Air 2 controller and left the Mini 2 controller bare to keep it’s size small. I have not investigated how easy it is to change the ”bonding” of an aircraft to a controller.

While the bonding is a bother, I understand it is required by DJI as it provides a second step in preventing a “flyaway” drone from being passed to another user.

I agree with you that Flyaways are rare and I’m not overly concerned about losing a drone that way. However, as you also mention, I can easily imagine losing a drone due to a crash where the wreckage is unrecoverable.

Howard
How did you get a Mini 2 without the extra controller?

How did you get a Mini 2 without the extra controller?
Hello BMWBob:

I apologize for being confusing. I did not get the Mini 2 without a controller. I have two controllers that are the same - one with the MA2 and one with the Mini 2. I had thought that bonding both drones to a single controller might reduce the amount of stuff I would take on a vehicle based trip. In that case I would have left one controller home. I've not done that, so it's a hypothetical situation!

Howard

Hello BMWBob:

I apologize for being confusing. I did not get the Mini 2 without a controller. I have two controllers that are the same - one with the MA2 and one with the Mini 2. I had thought that bonding both drones to a single controller might reduce the amount of stuff I would take on a vehicle based trip. In that case I would have left one controller home. I've not done that, so it's a hypothetical situation!

Howard
Just bind them with their own remotes first and confirm Care Refresh fly away option in App, that way FlyAway will be active on both drones. Then bind to other controller as you wish on trips...Care Refresh is active for both then. DJI uses the Controller ID as authentication, they don't require logs for Care Refresh plan...eazzy peezy ;)

Last edited:
Well, for me it's a little bit shady. Maybe now that the Flyaway Package is available, more Flyaway incidences would be reported? No sure if DJI would allow this by default as I sincerely believe that maybe 90% of flyaways are due to pilot error. I just hope that DJI won't be lax in making better drones and systems that would prevent this from occurring in the first place.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kueaue