DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI FPV (and rumours of a 2?)

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
I'm kind of interested in picking up a DJI FPV, but it's been out for a little while and I'm aware it was a first gen product with a few shortcomings. Particularly, the camera didn't seem to live up to the expectations, and a lot of people found ways to attach a GoPro to the top and did their filming with that.

But I sort of stopped paying attention to it shortly after release, so I was just wondering:

1. Did the camera get any firmware/spec bump to improve any aspect of it at all?
2. Any credible leaks of its successor (and a possible timeframe) I should be aware of?
3. Is it worth the money as is if I can find it on sale? Or just be patient and see what happens with whatever is next?
4. Do the googles work with any other drone yet? (And do you think they ever will? It seems like madness that they don't.)

1) No but it's fine, really no need for more unless you're working on demanding professional productions...
2) Nope
3) As usual depends what you're looking for. Having done FPV for 20 years and for what I'm after in which the live video quality is among the most important aspects to me it's almost perfect and nothing else comes even remotely close.
4) They work with DIY quads that use the DJI Air unit/Caddx Vista but that's it.

Image from the FPV camera doesn’t need improvement in my opinion.
I was impressed from day one.

Image from the FPV camera doesn’t need improvement in my opinion.
I was impressed from day one.
Me too.

People coming from DJI-only experience are camera spoiled. 4K/60, stabilized (EIS) video with on-board recording... This is why GoPros are mounted on typical FPV drones. It's built-in on the DJI FPV, with the addition of vertical mechanical stabilization.

My favorite example of the native camera:

I think the GoPro thing just gives them something to do.

I'm kind of interested in picking up a DJI FPV, but it's been out for a little while and I'm aware it was a first gen product with a few shortcomings. Particularly, the camera didn't seem to live up to the expectations, and a lot of people found ways to attach a GoPro to the top and did their filming with that.

But I sort of stopped paying attention to it shortly after release, so I was just wondering:

1. Did the camera get any firmware/spec bump to improve any aspect of it at all?
2. Any credible leaks of its successor (and a possible timeframe) I should be aware of?
3. Is it worth the money as is if I can find it on sale? Or just be patient and see what happens with whatever is next?
4. Do the googles work with any other drone yet? (And do you think they ever will? It seems like madness that they don't.)
It's pretty clear that the DJI FPV is more of a a "pilot" aircraft, and less of a "photographer" aircraft.

Which suits me just fine!

1653065588323.png

I agree with what everyone here has said and I think it's a great aircraft. There are rumors of a new FPV coming and new Goggles coming, but they're just rumors and speculation. Doesn't really concern me at the moment, but from what I've read, DJI does abandon their discontinued devices fairly quickly and it could be hard in the future to find batteries or get repairs. There are also a lot of littles issues with the software that I wish they would fix, but I'm losing confidence in that happening, which is disappointing.

However, with all that said and knowing what I know now, I would still make the purchase, buy the extras for it and fly it as much as possible.

Me too.

People coming from DJI-only experience are camera spoiled. 4K/60, stabilized (EIS) video with on-board recording... This is why GoPros are mounted on typical FPV drones. It's built-in on the DJI FPV, with the addition of vertical mechanical stabilization.

My favorite example of the native camera:

How much time do you think it takes for someone only with experience of DJI's standard camera drones to take advantage of most of the FPV features/modes? While the drone itself seems reasonably priced compared to other FPV "kits", the cost of crashing a DJI FPV drone seems scary high even with care/refresh. I love the idea of FPV and have been messing with VR goggles and FPV with my M2P and Mini 2. A different perspective altogther, but seemingly less prone to get into the same kind of trouble as with DJI's FPV.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh