DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI FPV: How long did it take you to transition from a Mavic to FPV manual mode??

fdewarren

Reactions
Dear DJI enthusiasts,

I have been flying the Mavic Air and then the Mavic 2 zoom and they are both great for video making and discovering an all new perspective to the landscape. When the FPV got released, I reviewed all the videos out there and especially why NOT to buy it.
They did not convince me and now I am spending much time in the simulator (crashing) before I dare to switch to full manual mode a few meters from the ground...
I find my reflexes to be off and many times I compensate in the wrong direction..
Can you give me feedbacks on how long I should expect to master this FPV? Are we talking weeks of practice or ... months/years!?:eek:

Our sister site FPV Drone Pilots Forum has a section on
just that drone you might find Interesting . Have a look in that
section or join there also like you did here. Some good stuff. ?

...Can you give me feedbacks on how long I should expect to master this FPV? Are we talking weeks of practice or ... months/years!?
Agree with @dirkclod ... you will likely get a broader answer in the FPV Drone Pilots forum section...

How fast ... or if you ever will get the grip around full manual (Acro mode) & to which level is highly personal. Has a lot to do with eye-hand coordination & getting that muscle memory to do the thinking for you.

Now a day's & fly both Quads (4 & 5") and photo drones ... but started up with Mavics first. Didn't touch the quad until I had 30h in the Velocidrone sim ... by then I had relearned from stick thumbing to pinching & had enough muscle memory to fly real cruising flights without risking the equipment.

Then mixed real flying with the Velocidrone sim ... dialed in the sim so it felt like my real quad, & practiced all new movements there before trying out for real on a safe height.

Here below is a screen recording I made back then when I had practiced real flying to some extent & had in total 50h in the sim.

The vid is 7min long so feel free to scrub it through to get a feeling on which skills I had there ... it's 3 scenes, the first outside with a stick overlay ... the 2 other indoors, which require a correct throttle management to avoid the ceiling.

And never mind the lousy graphics ... it was necessary to go down with that to avoid getting the quad floaty & get my computer to keep up ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato