DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI FPV vs DJI Avata ... which should I go for?

Building your drone from scratch is a whole new level then working on your pre programmed DJI drone there are many complexities in assembling a good drone and simply stating that you can throw parts together and Fly FPV is a HUGE miss-leading comment. If you want to build your own drone you will have to learn many things some of them have high learning curves -BetaFlight is just one such example. It takes some practice and may I say some skill to build a good drone
Most of us have moved on to building our own drones. After carefull study and some costly mistakes.

I will correct this sentence with the word- Some
Building FPV (or more specifically, repairing FPV) has revealed the one technical skill I think I do not have the capacity to get even decent at....soldering.

Building FPV (or more specifically, repairing FPV) has revealed the one technical skill I think I do not have the capacity to get even decent at....soldering.

No Problem there: Bardwell has you covered!!

Last edited:
Reactions: mavic3usa
Debating on getting either the DJI FPV or the Avata. FPV would be cheaper and with prop guards feels safer to learn on. Though I like the size of the Avata, but it's costlier since you would need to buy standard controller if you don't like the stick. Thoughts on which is better to learn FPV on?
I have them both. I like them both, but I really don't use either for real FPV flying. I'm not good enough with the sticks to do real FPV. The great thing about the Avata is that I can use it with the controller AND the goggles that came with my FPV. I also bought the DJI motion controller, that I purchased later. All I needed to buy was the Avata by itself, and some batteries for it. Awesome.
I bought the FPV first because the price really dropped, I saved like $350 on it. I also bought it to use the motion controller with it, now THAT'S an amazing piece of engineering. I use the motion controller more than the FPV controller 2. The Avata is actually more suited for FPV ( true FPV pilots WILL dispute that ) because of the way it's made, it's tougher. There's more than a few YouTube videos about DJI FPV crashes that almost demolish that drone. Good luck with your decision. !

The Avata is actually more suited for FPV ( true FPV pilots WILL dispute that ) because of the way it's made, it's tougher. There's more than a few YouTube videos about DJI FPV crashes that almost demolish that drone. Good luck with your decision. !

Well, while I'm relatively new to FPV (3 years, DJI FPV was my first, have since homebuilt 2), but can fly manual quite well, and consider myself a "true" FPV pilot, whatever that means. I'm just not an FPV bigot, of which there seem to be a stubborn, subset of the FPV community.

The Avata is every bit a "true" FPV drone. It has it's pros and cons, and depending on what you're looking for, it may not fit the bill. In my opinion, as an FPV Cinewhoop, it's pretty good, and flies great in manual.

Don't be bullied into believing the Avata is some sort of wannabe FPV drone.

Your comment got me thinking what it means to me. I've always defined an FPV pilot as anyone who flies a drone in manual mode with goggles.

That's pretty much how I define an "FPV Pilot" insofar as the term would be defined in the hobby.

Where I differ often from who I refer to as the "FPV bigots" is what defines, "flying FPV"... To me, it's flying immersively with goggles. Period. I mean, c'mon... First Person View, gang.

A camera drone can serve as an FPV drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope