DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go 4 Crash during POI flight

Pasta

Reactions
I've had my MPP since Christmas 2017, but have not done a lot of flying due to being busy at work. I was a pilot for most of my life, so most of my challenges with flying the MPP are related to remembering all the capabilities and how to access/use them.

Last Sunday, I decided to try POI for the first time. I got the drone airborne and designated my POI and climbed to the altitude I wanted to try this capability at and then moved the MPP out to the offset I wanted. I set the direction and speed and the video transmission began to show what I expected, then the Galaxy Tab 2 I was using began to pixelate. After a few more seconds of poor video on the Tab 2, the DJI Go 4 app died and restarted. My problem was that when the app was back online it showed that the aircraft was not connected. Looking at the controller scene, I saw that it still showed "POI Mode" and appeared to be receiving data from the MPP that should have been about 1,000 feet away from my position with no obstructions between me and the drone. I still had a visual, but just barely. I had over 20 minutes of battery life left, so I knew I had some time to logically work through this EP (emergency procedure) even with my minimal systems knowledge (a new situation for me since the USAF really stresses knowing the systems cold BEFORE operating aircraft, manned or unmanned).

Since I could still see the MPP, I decided I needed to get all three parts of this system, aircraft, controller and app, in synch again. The only way I could think of to do that was to shut off the controller and hopefully force it to "connect" to the aircraft again. So I took a deep breath and shutoff the controller for a few seconds and restarted it. And as it always had, the controller and aircraft re-established the connection immediately. The DJI Go 4 app that had previously restarted after crashing now showed the aircraft was still proceeding around the POI circle I'd set up. I let out a big sigh of relief and hit the RTH icon to bring the MPP home before the DJI Go 4 app could crash again. The recovery was uneventful.

I feel I got lucky this time and got my drone back despite taking the risk of restarting the controller. It would probably have been better in retrospect to simply command the RTH when I noticed the controller appeared to still be connected to the aircraft without the DJI Go 4 app. If I had tried that and the MPP failed to respond, then I could have tried the controller restart.

Any thoughts, comments or system insights that anyone can share to help this novice MPP pilot learn from this experience? (I wish there was a flight manual for this system complete with an in-depth EP section to cover how to handle situations like I just faced.) Will looking at the flight logs or Black Box data give me any insight into whether I should have tried RTH rather than the controller restart? Thanks in advance for anything you high timers can throw my way to build up my expertise with the MPP. Cheers.

Pasta

Reactions: Cjcoolcat
Once Remote Controller is reconnected just click into Sport Mode and turn the drone toward you using the Radar Display and then right stick full forward to zip back home. Sport Mode will break the POI Intelligent Flight Mode and put you in a perfect situation to quickly fly back to your home point so it accomplishes 2 things at once. When you get close to your Home Point Click back into P Mode and slowly ascend.

Reactions: Pasta and Cjcoolcat
Thanks for the input, BD0G. I didn't realize going to Sport mode would break POI, so that's the kind of tips I'm looking to collect so I can fly safer with more confidence.

Reactions: Cjcoolcat
Welcome! Its pretty fast to switch into the mode once you practice it. Since I just about always switch to Sport Mode and whizzzzzzz out to my shooting destination and then click back into P Mode and /or launch an intelligent flight mode i.e. Tripod, POI, Course Lock . Then I film / snap pics and click back into Sport Mode and whizzzzzzz back to my Home point.

Reactions: Pasta
Have you had any problem with the DJI Go 4 crashing?

The app has always been stable up to that flight. Once it crashed and restarted it seemed rock solid again, but I wasn't confident that stability would last, so I brought it back as soon as I could. Going to Sport would have sped up getting the MPP back home some, but I didn't want to change anything I didn't have to in case the synch between the app, the controller and the MPP was lost again. I'm not savvy enough about what affects what yet, so my missions are very basic. I was trying to use POI to compile a hyperlapse, but only got about 20% done before the crash.

I close all other apps on the devices which I use to fly and also go into Airline Mode. That way the most resources can be devoted to the DJIGO4 App and reduce the potential for an app crash. Many subscribe to this methodology.

Reactions: dtp and Pasta
My Samsung Tab E has adjusted been problematic. Go has been crashing a lot on lately HTC 10. That might be caching video on an unsuitable SD card, though I wouldn't think a SanDisk Ultra would be an issue for cache video at 720p.

I've had my MPP since Christmas 2017, but have not done a lot of flying due to being busy at work. I was a pilot for most of my life, so most of my challenges with flying the MPP are related to remembering all the capabilities and how to access/use them.

Last Sunday, I decided to try POI for the first time. I got the drone airborne and designated my POI and climbed to the altitude I wanted to try this capability at and then moved the MPP out to the offset I wanted. I set the direction and speed and the video transmission began to show what I expected, then the Galaxy Tab 2 I was using began to pixelate. After a few more seconds of poor video on the Tab 2, the DJI Go 4 app died and restarted. My problem was that when the app was back online it showed that the aircraft was not connected. Looking at the controller scene, I saw that it still showed "POI Mode" and appeared to be receiving data from the MPP that should have been about 1,000 feet away from my position with no obstructions between me and the drone. I still had a visual, but just barely. I had over 20 minutes of battery life left, so I knew I had some time to logically work through this EP (emergency procedure) even with my minimal systems knowledge (a new situation for me since the USAF really stresses knowing the systems cold BEFORE operating aircraft, manned or unmanned).

Since I could still see the MPP, I decided I needed to get all three parts of this system, aircraft, controller and app, in synch again. The only way I could think of to do that was to shut off the controller and hopefully force it to "connect" to the aircraft again. So I took a deep breath and shutoff the controller for a few seconds and restarted it. And as it always had, the controller and aircraft re-established the connection immediately. The DJI Go 4 app that had previously restarted after crashing now showed the aircraft was still proceeding around the POI circle I'd set up. I let out a big sigh of relief and hit the RTH icon to bring the MPP home before the DJI Go 4 app could crash again. The recovery was uneventful.

I feel I got lucky this time and got my drone back despite taking the risk of restarting the controller. It would probably have been better in retrospect to simply command the RTH when I noticed the controller appeared to still be connected to the aircraft without the DJI Go 4 app. If I had tried that and the MPP failed to respond, then I could have tried the controller restart.

Any thoughts, comments or system insights that anyone can share to help this novice MPP pilot learn from this experience? (I wish there was a flight manual for this system complete with an in-depth EP section to cover how to handle situations like I just faced.) Will looking at the flight logs or Black Box data give me any insight into whether I should have tried RTH rather than the controller restart? Thanks in advance for anything you high timers can throw my way to build up my expertise with the MPP. Cheers.

Pasta

Evening Pasta,
Same happened to me with MPP whole app crashed on htc10 and i lost everything, control vision the lot, when it came back MPP had photo of leaves on viewer with warnings all over the screen. The MPP was a fair distance away and it ended up being lost. I was, or still am very new to drones and it cost me. Be carefull on flying and take advice from the experienced operators as its how we learn, ive since bought a refurb. MPP but havent taken it out yet weather crap. I bought same again as i want experience with drones before upgrading, and i already has flymore kit so still got 3 batteries just missing polar pro filter nd8. Have fun and hope you manage to keep hold of yours longer than my first, ive learnt from that mistake, keep an eye on it dont rely on app on phone for vision all the time.

Go 4 crashes are not uncommon. Just hit the pause button on your RC or switch in and out of sport mode to cancel your POI. Then fly back or try restarting Go 4. Since the RC was still connected you did not need to restart it.

I am surprised that turning off the RC did not initiate RTH.

Evening Pasta,
Same happened to me with MPP whole app crashed on htc10 and i lost everything, control vision the lot, when it came back MPP had photo of leaves on viewer with warnings all over the screen. The MPP was a fair distance away and it ended up being lost. I was, or still am very new to drones and it cost me. Be carefull on flying and take advice from the experienced operators as its how we learn, ive since bought a refurb. MPP but havent taken it out yet weather crap. I bought same again as i want experience with drones before upgrading, and i already has flymore kit so still got 3 batteries just missing polar pro filter nd8. Have fun and hope you manage to keep hold of yours longer than my first, ive learnt from that mistake, keep an eye on it dont rely on app on phone for vision all the time.
Thanks for the input. Sorry you lost the first MPP. I'm a bit **** about losing things, so I never let the MPP get out of my sight.

Go 4 crashes are not uncommon. Just hit the pause button on your RC or switch in and out of sport mode to cancel your POI. Then fly back or try restarting Go 4. Since the RC was still connected you did not need to restart it.

I am surprised that turning off the RC did not initiate RTH.
I was surprised by the app crash, but I shouldn't have been. I'd read about them, but I didn't really prepare myself for it. I'll be more ready next time thanks to a lot of great inputs from people responding to this forum.

I do all the required preflight stuff, like getting the NFZ unlocked or the app won't let me takeoff, filing a flight plan and checking the weather/winds, but now I need to add on clearing the cache of my phone or tablet to the drill before flying. I'll probably work up some procedures to follow for the next app crash before it happens, too. Has anyone run across someone who put together a preflight checklist and some emergency procedures for the MPP?

I have practiced an app crash by unplugging my tablet in flight. Just do it in an open area and within sight.

Mavic Pro Checklist:

emoji827.png
Mount filter if needed
emoji827.png
Clean lens if needed
emoji827.png
Remove gimbal clamp
emoji827.png
Unfold Mavic and place on flat surface
emoji827.png
Visual check of aircraft and props
emoji827.png
Turn on remote controller
emoji827.png
Put Phone/Tablet in Airplane mode
emoji827.png
Connect Phone/Tablet (should start Go 4)
emoji827.png
Turn on Mavic after Go 4 startup screen displays
emoji827.png
Ignore updates
emoji827.png
Wait for GPS Mode
emoji827.png
Confirm Homepoint and check it on map
emoji827.png
Insure AC and map pointer are pointing in same direction
emoji827.png
Take off and hover to 10m for a few seconds
emoji827.png
Check your surroundings and high point, adjust RTH if needed
emoji827.png
Check winds and try to have a tailwind for the return trip
emoji827.png
Look for emergency landing spot while flying
emoji827.png
Return before being forced to by low battery

I have practiced an app crash by unplugging my tablet in flight. Just do it in an open area and within sight.

Mavic Pro Checklist:

emoji827.png
Mount filter if needed
emoji827.png
Clean lens if needed
emoji827.png
Remove gimbal clamp
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
Ignore updates
emoji827.png
Wait for GPS Mode
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
emoji827.png

Never even entered my head about trying to simulate an app crash, now youve said it , that would be the first thing any novice pilot like myself should think about trying in an open space to see how the craft reacts. Simple when you think about it. I just didnt. The MPP might have tried to initiate a RTH but with the trees there could have gone straight in there. I have been back loads of times looking and it has my mobile number printed on battery, but id be very fortunate to get first one back.
Thank you for preflight check list. Very handy. 1 tip i did find hand was to glue a strip of ribbon or coloured paper to gimbal clamp to ensure its removed before starting up.
Thanks again for help

Useful thread - thanks for posting. I am not that experienced but have had app crashes but never when in one of the intelligent flight modes. There is no way I would ever consider turning the controller off as I see the app as being just icing on the cake with the controller doing the actual flying. I think I would have hit return to home which I assume overrides everything. As someone posted above, I understood the aircraft would always return to home in the event of a complete comms failure. Maybe you reconnected before it had time to realise it was flying solo !

As regards the phone/app combo. I always close all running apps (by pulling them off the screen) in Android and always use Aircraft mode. I have also found that if the app has been running on the phone before the flight it is best to restart your phone so you are using a fresh app start. I have cut down several weird app behaviours and laggy responses using this approach.

@ Mossiback - thanks for the list. I also try to fly upwind on the outward leg if possible and this is the main reason I would like to see the return of ATTI mode which I used to have on the original Phantom Vision I had for a while. The winds at altitude can be very different to ground level and I would always ascend, quickly go into ATTI then I could easily judge wind speed and direction and then switch back into GPS. It is also useful if you want to descend as fast as possible - go into ATTI so that you know which way to reverse into the wind to avoid dropping through your own prop wash

It is such a shame we can't do it now.

Mavic Pro Checklist:

emoji827.png
Mount filter if needed
emoji827.png
Clean lens if needed
emoji827.png
Remove gimbal clamp
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
Ignore updates
emoji827.png
Wait for GPS Mode
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
emoji827.png
I think this is a great checklist! Based on some earlier inputs, clearing the cache of the phone or tablet might need to be added to this list. Thanks for the input, Mossiback.

Never even entered my head about trying to simulate an app crash, now youve said it , that would be the first thing any novice pilot like myself should think about trying in an open space to see how the craft reacts. Simple when you think about it. I just didnt. The MPP might have tried to initiate a RTH but with the trees there could have gone straight in there. I have been back loads of times looking and it has my mobile number printed on battery, but id be very fortunate to get first one back.
Thank you for preflight check list. Very handy. 1 tip i did find hand was to glue a strip of ribbon or coloured paper to gimbal clamp to ensure its removed before starting up.
Thanks again for help
The strip of ribbon would be a tiny "Remove Before Flight" reminder like are used on full-scale aircraft. Great input!

Useful thread - thanks for posting. I am not that experienced but have had app crashes but never when in one of the intelligent flight modes. There is no way I would ever consider turning the controller off as I see the app as being just icing on the cake with the controller doing the actual flying. I think I would have hit return to home which I assume overrides everything. As someone posted above, I understood the aircraft would always return to home in the event of a complete comms failure. Maybe you reconnected before it had time to realise it was flying solo !

As regards the phone/app combo. I always close all running apps (by pulling them off the screen) in Android and always use Aircraft mode. I have also found that if the app has been running on the phone before the flight it is best to restart your phone so you are using a fresh app start. I have cut down several weird app behaviours and laggy responses using this approach.
I agree with your comment about not turning off the controller. Since I hadn't thought through this situation and saw that the app had restarted but had not connected with the controller and aircraft, I got fixated on trying to restore all three to being connected instead of just recovering the drone. I did push the RTH button on the controller before deciding to restart it, but nothing happened. The screen still showed POI Mode. At that point, I probably should have just try to fly the drone back home manually. Isn't hindsight humbling? Thanks for your comments.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas