DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go 4 Vs. Litchi for Mavic

CCTjohn

Reactions
I posted another thread about me having an issue with my new Android phone and the DJI Go 4 app crashing.

I have since did some other testing. Which is leading me to thinking of going to Litchi.

First the testing, I set up out in front of my house and went out from inside and hooked right up and took off with a warm phone. The previous concern was that my phone was too cold and froze. I connected up and the moment I had GPS I took off and started recording. App instantly said no signal, disconnected and crashed the app. I knew at this point that it wasn't the cold.

Another suggestion was that it may have been a result of using the included usb cable so I swapped out for the cable that came with my phone. It is much more stout and should be of good enough quality to succeed. The result was the same. I should add that after the first test and the second it did tell me there was a firmware mismatch so I let that update... still no luck.

I uninstalled the app and was going to re-download it but then I read the reviews and found that many others have rated the app poorly reporting the exact issues I am having.

I then looked up the Litchi for Mavic. It is rated much better but is $25 on the play store. My question is 2 fold, first is does Litchi work similarly to the DJI app and second is it worth the money? As a result of this issue I have been given the go ahead for a CrystalSky which again makes my wife the coolest ever but I don't think that will help anything and I would like to get this phone to work correctly so that I can put that cash towards a computer that I can edit video with.

So simple question: DJI or Litchi and why?

Litchi gives you full flight control, same as DJI Go. The biggest difference being that you cannot adjust some of the drone's settings with Litchi. But as an all around flight app it works great - definitely worth the money. I think the CrystalSky will help you, as it appears that your device (phone? tablet? iOS? Android?) cannot run Go4 properly. You should simply try another phone (i.e., your awesome wife's) to see if you can get the app to work.

Reactions: mav09
Which version of Go app were you using? Many have had problems with the latest version and reverted back to .15.

It worked previously on my I phone but I jumped back to Android and yes it would likely be the latest.

Are older versions available?

If you are having that much trouble running the latest Go4 app on your device then litchi is not going to help as litchi uses the same base code and applets that DJI go4 uses. You will be able to run litchi but will still have problems and may experience slow video feed and pixiated video as well. Also slow down and delay in app.
Ideally your device should/must run Go4 well to run Litchi properly as well.
Either upgrade to better or correct device or go with Crystal sky but if the device you using now is crashing/running slow or has bad video pixlation, then its not compatible.

Reactions: jag32266
Many of us bought the $49 Walmart phone and found that it crashed with the latest Go app. After rolling back to the previous version, they work perfectly.

After the latest Android update, the dji go 4 app has shut down on the 3 flights so far I've flown. I'm updated to the latest version. I updated as soon as it came out like 3 weeks ago right before the threads hit about not being able to roll back without a hack that hasn't been discovered yet. Never had an issue before this last update. It just shuts off. Still have control and can see stats on controller. Restart the app and it even still knows my original home point. WTF.

After the latest Android update, the dji go 4 app has shut down on the 3 flights so far I've flown. I'm updated to the latest version. I updated as soon as it came out like 3 weeks ago right before the threads hit about not being able to roll back without a hack that hasn't been discovered yet. Never had an issue before this last update. It just shuts off. Still have control and can see stats on controller. Restart the app and it even still knows my original home point. WTF.
Just roll-back your version of the Go4 app to .15. It works with the new FW and is stable.

Pretty much! Crystalsky may be the way to go... So much money!

@Sparky1, Try downloading the Go4 app again from playstore and installing now and try again. It has silenently been updated by DJI since you updated and a few bugs fixed.
And yes you can roll back by downloading the apk of choice ie V.15 from APK Mirror here
DJI GO 4--For drones since P4 4.1.15 APK Download by DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD - APKMirror
And sideloading.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparky1
Appreciate the tips. I'll give it a go and update as follows....

I loaded .15 last night before bed and will give it a shot today.

Have had poor/inconsistent performance w./ the DJI app and my Shield K1 andriod tablet. Bought Litchi and zero issues- stable, good connections, no crashes. The ability to plan/upload missions is a big plus!

Reactions: TimesTen
Update:
I rolled back to .15, no change. I uninstalled and reinstalled just to see. Also no change.

Since this started there had been an update for the phone. I uninstalled the app, updated phone and reinstalled. Same behavior.

It occurred to me that my work phone is the same iPhone I had gotten rid of. I updated it and installed Go 4 on it. Seems to work fine, there was one stutter in the video but the app never crashed with and without recording and while taking photos.

I saw on here today that .20 is out for iOS. When that version hours for Android I will try that. If that doesn't work I will be looking into an iPad Mini. Also read on here that Crystal Sky is usually an after thought when it comes to updates. I have enough issues without dealing with that garbage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy Green