DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI GO app went black during flight, mavic lost

I also have the logs pulled from the controller, but I guess those are not relevant?

I only used the remote controller to fly the drone

OK - so you were actively flying the drone for 10 minutes or so with the controller but no app? If that is the case then there is no way to determine where it went during those 10 minutes, and no way to determine where it landed.

so let me ask you this Sar104, if the app crashes like Stekki says above, shouldn't the RC Controller keep logging some kind of data if its still connected to the aircraft?? I'm very green at this subject and I'm trying to learn from these issues so I'm prepared if it ever happens to me...oh, and thanks for stopping in and trying to help..

so let me ask you this Sar104, if the app crashes like Stekki says above, shouldn't the RC Controller keep logging some kind of data if its still connected to the aircraft?? I'm very green at this subject and I'm trying to learn from these issues so I'm prepared if it ever happens to me...oh, and thanks for stopping in and trying to help..

That would be a reasonable assumption, and it is possible that the controller does log flight data. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any current capability to read the files from the controller, so their contents is currently unknown.

So all we really have is the TXT and or DAT files from the viewing device (ipad, android,etc) to use for data retrieval if the bird doesnt come home than, is that correct?

So I just watched a video that shows how to download blackbox data from RC, but apparently its encrypted, but can be sent to DJI for analysis....

So all we really have is the TXT and or DAT files from the viewing device (ipad, android,etc) to use for data retrieval if the bird doesnt come home than, is that correct?

In terms of useful data - yes. As you mentioned, DJI may be able to decrypt the RC files but I haven't even seen reference to that in cases that have been referred to DJI. That doesn't mean it isn't happening, of course.

Why were you flying it for 10mins after the app crashed? Did you notice the distance reducing on the controller display? There's a RTH button on the controller, did you try that at all? 10mins is a long time...

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
In the future people remember your IFR. That RC has valuable data on it. If you lose a video feed... climb to a safe altitude and fly in the direction that lowers your distance from home number. In reality you should always be flying in view of the aircraft but realistically I know that’s not always the case.

I'm sorry he lost his Mavic and this thread is all about trying to get data to help find it. However, little discussion so far as to why the display went black. When I got my Mavic I used the OEM cable a few times and every flight I lost communication between the RC and my iPhone. As most of you know, this has been a known problem since the Mavic was first announced. I even tried upgrading the OEM cable and still got disconnects between the two devices.

I'm surprised that that's not part of the canned information the forum provides to new owners to purchase and use a good lightning to USB connector for the Mavic and not the OEM cable. Or, has that problem been resolved by DJI.

I'm sorry he lost his Mavic and this thread is all about trying to get data to help find it. However, little discussion so far as to why the display went black. When I got my Mavic I used the OEM cable a few times and every flight I lost communication between the RC and my iPhone. As most of you know, this has been a known problem since the Mavic was first announced. I even tried upgrading the OEM cable and still got disconnects between the two devices.

I'm surprised that that's not part of the canned information the forum provides to new owners to purchase and use a good lightning to USB connector for the Mavic and not the OEM cable. Or, has that problem been resolved by DJI.

I haven't had any problems with the supplied cables for iOS or Android. Many of the problems appear to be more related to the mobile device than the cables.

I haven't had any problems with the supplied cables for iOS or Android. Many of the problems appear to be more related to the mobile device than the cables.

I understand your comments. My problem was with my iPhone 7. I read several threads over the past 15 months on the same topic and just wanted to make sure it didn't get missed as a possible cause. The RC to drone connection continues to work. People just lost the signal between their device and the RC.

I understand your comments. My problem was with my iPhone 7. I read several threads over the past 15 months on the same topic and just wanted to make sure it didn't get missed as a possible cause. The RC to drone connection continues to work. People just lost the signal between their device and the RC.

The only time I have experienced that was with a CrystalSky monitor directly plugged into the lower port on the controller. It was running a beta version of the Pilot app rather than Go4, however.

Anyway - the suggestion to check that the cable is not the problem is certainly a good one.

What limitations are there if you fly the MP with RC only?
Who has flown the MP in WIFI mode?

Eric

My samsung s8 kept having disconnects and i thought it was the oem cable, but upon further inspection it was my s8 charging port connection usb type c seems to wear the locking on the charging connection so on my s8 it kept coming loose and disconnecting meaning my video feed would go black loads.
Now ive gone back to using the old usb mini on the s7 phone and my connection is rock solid, ive never liked usb c

@stekki
Upload your fatal.log
This thread was brought back from June by @Oto, Im just curious if a new way has been found to read data from just the RC??
I havent been up to date on data retrieval for a long while, also , you did read the thread and understand the user was flying with RC Only??
Just curious, Thanks.......

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada