DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles and the need to update firmware on the Mavic

Crchisholm

Reactions
I just received my DJI goggles and am trying to set them up. One of the first steps is to update the firmware on the Mavic. There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about the Mavic firmware that seems to not be good. I am not sure what is real and what is misunderstandings. Clearly I don't want to update my firmware and find that I can no longer fly as high or a far as I do now. Also, I fly a lot in fairly remote locations, so there is no connectivity if that is required after an update to the firmware.

Is this something I really need to be concerned about or am I caught up in the hype?

And please, if you don't like your goggles, telling me so is not going to help. For better or worse, I have purchased them.

I did not update my mavic but i did update the goggles after I used them a few times just to be able to change them from meters to imperial. Don't pay attention to the complainers they work fine.

Reactions: Clinton1
Ok, it seems that it will not let me go any further without updating the firmware. I may be doing something wrong (no surprise there). I am making sure the battery is fully charged now and will look at it again when it's done.

Update: further along now. I've activated them and figured out how to watch some of the videos from this weekend (before i got the goggles), so well on my way. If I really found it necessary to nit-pick, I could say the image could be slightly sharper, but my standards must be lower because I think their great. It IS like sitting in front of a movie screen. I did find that looking up to the status bar was a bit difficult, but I think that's one of those settling in over time things.

Hoping to get the Mavic in the air this weekend and really test them out.

Reactions: MrsTreat
Go ahead and update, is my advice. I've done so all along with no "significant" problems. The problems I had involved having firmware versions out of sync, and for this reason I do recommend using DJI Assistant 2 because it seems to provide more control than just upgrading with DJI Go. It also allows you to downgrade to an earlier version of the firmware, if you decide you want to.

The golden "old" version seems to be 0400, which predates the more extreme enforcement of no fly zones. If you need to fly near an airport or other restricted area, this is a valid reason for downgrading, IMHO. One person on this list was unable to do some paid work, in spite of getting control tower clearance because of the NFZ restrictions.

Connectivity is not required, once you have logged in one time only.

Update: further along now. I've activated them and figured out how to watch some of the videos from this weekend (before i got the goggles), so well on my way. If I really found it necessary to nit-pick, I could say the image could be slightly sharper, but my standards must be lower because I think their great. It IS like sitting in front of a movie screen. I did find that looking up to the status bar was a bit difficult, but I think that's one of those settling in over time things.

Hoping to get the Mavic in the air this weekend and really test them out.

If looking up at the status bar is difficult you probably do not have them centered properly on your face. There is a sweet spot when you adjust them when you can see both the top and bottom perfectly. As for the clarity of the image, I humbly suggest you try some reading glasses. IMHO the screen is way to close to people eyes and therefore people who don't even normally need reading glasses need to throw on some 1.25 or 1.5 lenses in order to get a sharp image.

Rob

Reactions: Clinton1
Will the goggles work with my mavic on .700 firmware? I have a chance to buy a used one but if I have to update my mavic over the .700 I will pass.
Thanks for the help

Robby: doesn't matter how I put the goggles on, I can't see the status bar unless I pull the top back from my face about a half inch. That is not a good option of course. What I remembered though is that I have graves desease which causes my eye muscles to not always work correctly. I will just have to adjust how I use the goggles which is not a huge deal. Also, my near vision is pretty bad, so I have to use 3.5 magnifiers. Again, not the end of days.

Really not sure what all the issues are about firmweare updats and the Mavic but i have had my mavic since January and have installed every update without issue and all via the DJI Go app.

I can see how the headband design could interfere with seeing the whole screen, well the headband and the piece on the top that keeps it from sliding down your face. That piece should have been adjustable.

I can see how the headband design could interfere with seeing the whole screen, well the headband and the piece on the top that keeps it from sliding down your face. That piece should have been adjustable.

Yeah it's pretty much a 90% complete hardware item and 70% complete in the software. You either learn to live with the little hardware issues or you sell them. At this point I am keeping mine because on a sunny day they really are the best way to get a great view of where I am flying.

Rob

Reactions: Blades
Will the goggles work with my mavic on .700 firmware? I have a chance to buy a used one but if I have to update my mavic over the .700 I will pass.
Thanks for the help
Hey
Were you able to use the .700 firmware with the Dji Googles. I don't feel like upgrading myself.

Yes they work for me but I can not get the head tracking to move around when I turn my head.

Hey
Were you able to use the .700 firmware with the Dji Googles. I don't feel like upgrading myself.

You will have working headtracking with Mavic 700 if you also flash the goggles with 700. Only issue is that 700 goggles firmware lacks useful stuff so you typically want them at least on 900...

You will have working headtracking with Mavic 700 if you also flash the goggles with 700. Only issue is that 700 goggles firmware lacks useful stuff so you typically want them at least on 900...
So for best experience I should probably upgrade both device to the latest firmware?

Yes they work for me but I can not get the head tracking to move around when I turn my head.
Do you think its wort upgrading from .700 in order to use the head tracking? I am not familiar with the current firmware version and if its worth the upgrade.

thanks

Do you think its wort upgrading from .700 in order to use the head tracking? I am not familiar with the current firmware version and if its worth the upgrade.

thanks
head tracking makes it all worth it! I was afraid to upgrade from .400 but i did one i got my googles and I havent had any restrictions yet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato