DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles

Happyexpat

Reactions
I’m wanting to get the DJI goggles for my Air but I’ve heard conflicting reports. Can somebody please answer for sure the following

Is there a range restriction using the goggles.
Do you have to connect the goggles with a cable to the controller
Can you still attach the phone to the controller while using the goggles
Do the focus fixers work. I use 2 diopter reading glasses but would rather not wear them to fly.
Is the resolution and latency good

Sorry for all the questions but I have looked at many reviews and got differing answers.

I have the racing goggles and I have not experienced any restriction on range (I presume you’re speaking of video). No, you link to it like you do with the remote. You still use your remote w/phone to fly like normal. The resolution and latency on mine are great. I did have one occasion where they’d stopped updating for about 10-20 seconds but; came back to life and continued without ever glitching again.

I’m wanting to get the DJI goggles for my Air but I’ve heard conflicting reports. Can somebody please answer for sure the following

Do the focus fixers work. I use 2 diopter reading glasses but would rather not wear them to fly.

Sorry for all the questions but I have looked at many reviews and got differing answers.

I have the Air and the RE goggles I can confirm you do have to connect the goggles to the controller with a cable, the only DJI units you do not are the magic pro. you can't have two devices connected to the controller at the same time. I do however start with my iPad or the crystal sky connected, once airborne i unplug the monitor and plug the goggle in, this way you are able to bypass the distance limitation of taking off with the goggles. Focus works for me, but I have lasic about 20 years ago, resolution and latency is great. I did use the units with a phantom 4 without resetting the unit and did have latency issues.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I have the Air and the RE goggles I can confirm you do have to connect the goggles to the controller with a cable, the only DJI units you do not are the magic pro. you can't have two devices connected to the controller at the same time. I do however start with my iPad or the crystal sky connected, once airborne i unplug the monitor and plug the goggle in, this way you are able to bypass the distance limitation of taking off with the goggles. Focus works for me, but I have lasic about 20 years ago, resolution and latency is great. I did use the units with a phantom 4 without resetting the unit and did have

Thank you for that, it confirms what I have been seeing on some of the reviews.

Another question please. Can you bring up the map in the corner of the screen like with the IPad. I find the return to home arrow is very useful. In fact can you bring up the DJI GO 4 display completely the same?

Thank you again!

These answers are for the non RE version of goggles:

Is there a range restriction using the goggles?
Yes, unless you use the phone/tablet workaround.

Do you have to connect the goggles with a cable to the controller?
Yes, only MP works wirelessly, I believe.

Can you still attach the phone to the controller while using the goggles?
No, only one at a time. Only one usb port will output at a time. on the controller. If you have a tablet with HDMI out (like Nvidia shield), then you could have both at the same time, but then you would lose head tracking capability. Head tracking is only available through USB, not HDMI.

Do the focus fixers work. I use 2 diopter reading glasses but would rather not wear them to fly?
I'm not far sighted, so don't need diopters. Sorry can't answer.

Is the resolution and latency good?
Resolution is 720p on MA, still very good, latency is good, unless you are competitive racing.

Note I haven't used my goggles in two months, so maybe a firmware update has changed this, but I haven't heard of one.

Reactions: Mike Shock
No
Yes
No
Yes
Meh... much less good then MP but OK.

It isn’t exactly like the dji4 display, honestly I can’t recall if you can pull up the map in the goggles, I will try and confirm that in the next 24 hours for you. On way back from ranch at the moment, I think there is a return to home physical button on the remote.

All the selections you make through the goggles are by swiping and selecting with your right hand. I am still working to be more proficient at it myself. I bought the goggles because a construction site in Dubai was so bright I couldn’t see jack. I later also bought the ultrabright crystal sky.

I will have my DJI Goggles on Monday. I can't wait to try them out. I have the Mavic Pro, so I'm hoping the work wireless like I've been reading here.

They came early, today. I'm going to spend the rest of today reading and watching videos, then try them out tomorrow if the weather holds out.

I have the white ones and they work great with my old mavic pro .

I'm having great difficulty with focus because I have my regular prescription glasses, plus the DJI Corrective lenses and with all that in the goggles I have to press my glasses up against the corrective lenses pretty hard. It puts a lot of pressure on my nose. Also, I have difficulty seeing the far edges of the screens with all those lenses.

You need both? Heavy prescription? I'm not experienced with the glasses issue because I'm near sighted. Maybe someone else who needs to use glasses can suggest something to help the pressure. or try a different pair of glasses. Seems odd that you would need the DJI corrective lenses with your regular glasses on.

Yes, I was really surprised also. I think DJI suggests that you order the correction lenses over and above how you see normally, whether it's with or without your regular glasses. In other words. If you see perfectly with no glasses, you have to use their corrective lenses also because the screen is so close to your face. Then they suggest going 1 power over your normal prescription also.
I did try the DJI Corrective lenses without my regular glasses and it was way out of focus. Another thing to take into account is the fact that I need to be able to see the iPad screen also when I need to, so I need my regular glasses on
plus the DJI Corrective lenses at 1 power over my reading power also.
I just wish DJI would have added adjustable focus to the Goggles.Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 12.26.22 PM.png

I do not need the DJI corrective lenses, the image is very clear. so clear that I can notice the screen door effect easily. The way I read their recommendation is, if you normally wear +2D corrective glasses, get a +3D DJI corrective lens and you shouldn't need to wear glasses. That may be why it's so out of focus. You may be way overpowered with glasses + dji lens and under powered with just dji lens. How does it look with the stock DJI lens and just your glasses?

If you need to read your iPad, just have your glasses hanging around your neck for when you need them

I have to return them. I have tried every way I can think of to get a good focus and no luck. I'm not blaming it on the goggles, it's just that I can't get it clear enough to enjoy them. I can see much better on my iPad. That combined with the big learning curve on controls is just too much for this old fart. I'm going to try my Homida Goggles and my iPhone again.

I do not need the DJI corrective lenses, the image is very clear. so clear that I can notice the screen door effect easily. The way I read their recommendation is, if you normally wear +2D corrective glasses, get a +3D DJI corrective lens and you shouldn't need to wear glasses. That may be why it's so out of focus. You may be way overpowered with glasses + DJI lens and under powered with just dji lens. How does it look with the stock DJI lens and just your glasses?

If you need to read your iPad, just have your glasses hanging around your neck for when you need them
I tried all combinations. With just my glasses and no DJI corrective lenses, with just the DJI corrective lenses, and without the DJI corrective lenses or my glasses.

Okay, sorry they didn't work out for you. Hopefully they come out with a new version soon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart