DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Government Edition

Seems DJI is confirming what we’ve been trying to tell you this whole time. That they do send info back to DJI servers. Guess we weren’t crazy after all or according to you what’s the point of making a special firmware that doesn’t phone home if the original one doesn’t?
Perhaps they are giving the market what they want?
The myth about security issues won't go away because it appeals to conspiracy minded folks with little real understanding and a good dose of paranoia.
So they offer a placebo solution that has none of those mythical problems.

DJI drone does 'phone home'. How else does it know there's a new firmware update. I think part of the conspiracy is people are concerned it's sending sensitive information back to China. For most consumers, DJI doesn't really have any interest in their drone's data.
DJI has offices in US, and they hire US citizens. So, DJI could build a manufacturing centre and data centre in US. All DJI drones in US can 'phone home' to the US data servers, which might ease some concerns that the US gov might have. And the data centres would be managed by US citizens and maybe some gov employee to oversee them and make sure no back door between their US-based servers with China.

U mean the USA doesn’t spy on its citizens data? Ever heard of Edward Snowden?

How about freedom & privacy for consumers? What about the "Privacy Mode" aka "Local Data Mode" DJI launched nearly two years ago?

I followed the link...

When will DJI learn that small light grey type against a white background is nearly unreadable, not what you want with a press release. Their website does the same thing.

That's a funny article. Made my morning. You know you can turn off 3rd party cookies in Chrome too? My Chrome is locked down every bit as tight as my Firefox. I'm an IT so I have to have all browsers for testing new code on my government web sites. ;-)

Go to Settings > Privacy & Content > Content Settings > Cookies and set the following ...

Allow sites to save and read cookie data (recommended) ON (Turn OFF if you're really paranoid ;-) )

Keep local data only until you quit your browser ON

Block third-party cookies ON

Now, when you quit Chrome all cookies will be deleted. Can make for a lousy browsing experience but works well for killing the trackers.

cheers,
Rick

That's a funny article. Made my morning. You know you can turn off 3rd party cookies in Chrome too? My Chrome is locked down every bit as tight as my Firefox. I'm an IT so I have to have all browsers for testing new code on my government web sites. ;-)

Go to Settings > Privacy & Content > Content Settings > Cookies and set the following ...

Allow sites to save and read cookie data (recommended) ON (Turn OFF if you're really paranoid ;-) )

Keep local data only until you quit your browser ON

Block third-party cookies ON

Now, when you quit Chrome all cookies will be deleted. Can make for a lousy browsing experience but works well for killing the trackers.

cheers,
Rick
Thanks!

Reactions: Thoraldus
So are we talking just software/firmware or the entire kidbit&kabootle.
Per this article:
  • No Data Transmission – A permanently enabled Local Data Mode within the custom DJI Pilot application prevents data transfer from the mobile application over the internet to third parties or to DJI.

• Firmware Update Reviews – Government agency aviation and IT departments can review firmware updates in electronic isolation before applying them to their fleets, and have full control over how to validate them and when to install them on DJI drones. Restricted Hardware

• Pairing – Drones and remote controllers running Government Edition solution firmware can only be linked with each other and are not compatible with other DJI products, preventing the use of unsecure hardware and unauthorized third-party applications.

Thank you...

Also that's my point...why isn't it on Google Play, safely scanned by Google for malware and Google Play Protect, vs a sideload of who knows what's in that APK? I mean Android gives us a warning not to install apps outside Google Play for a reason...

why isn't it on Google Play, safely scanned by Google for malware and Google Play Protect, vs a sideload of who knows what's in that APK?
Probably because it's not meant for consumers to install it.

Reactions: Thomas B
How "they've" let DJI what?

Just because DJI has introduced this model to the worldwide market doesn't mean the U.S. government or anyone else has to buy it.

And there are plenty of non-military applications where security isn't as big a concern where this might be useful. If FEMA wanted to survey storm damage or the USDA wanted to survey flooding, for example.
This is true. I work for a special district that maintain 600 miles of drainage structures. With a COA, we can fly a ditch in an hour that would have taken all day.

Many legit reasons. Checking for the current software/firmware and updating maps and files are a few.

The communicating with China has been a concern and issue for several of our customers over the years, in industries such as oil and gas and communications, not just military. Having this type of 'government edition drone or the option to shut off communication with China does help ease their minds, even if you don't believe it is %100. Unfortunately, the US has yet to produce anything with the same technology at anywhere near the same price point as DJI. Especially for the higher end commercial industries.

Reactions: getHigh

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh