DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI - how to see all no-fly zones?

kogut7

Reactions
Hello,
I had such situations that I only found out about the existence of the no fly zone after my arrival - DJI Go app wouldn't let me take off, but this zone was not visible on DJI website:

There is such information below the map:
"In compliance with the relevant laws, policies, and regulations, some GEO Zones will not appear on this web map. Please refer to the DJI GO app for more GEO Zones in effect."

The problem is that when I check DJI GO app, it displays only the zones that are near my current location.

Do you know any way of checking ALL no-fly zones before arrival on site, so that you can plan your flights without unpleasant surprises?

Thanks!

Most of us use Kittyhawk app but no fly zone can change when an event that requires extra security happens.

Most of us use Kittyhawk app but no fly zone can change when an event that requires extra security happens.
Thanks, I installed Kittyhawk, but it displays the zones only for USA.

I'm looking for a website/app that will tell me where my Mavic will be blocked from take off before I arrive to a location.

I'm looking for a website/app that will tell me where my Mavic will be blocked from take off before I arrive to a location.
DJI website is global (Link Below). Simply zoom it out, scroll to area of world and then zoom it in...make sure all bottom areas are clicked/checked ON for all zones, some are on by default, some are not. As for what might be in place that aren't normal..such as TFR's and such...nothing is going to show you that without due diligence or till you arrive on scene.

DJI website is global (Link Below). Simply zoom it out, scroll to area of world and then zoom it in...make sure all bottom areas are clicked/checked ON for all zones, some are on by default, some are not. As for what might be in place that aren't normal..such as TFR's and such...nothing is going to show you that without due diligence or till you arrive on scene.

This is the website I am using, but it doesn't display the most important information - restricted zones in which I won't be able to fly at all (DJI GO app will not let me take off). And I am not talking about TFRs. Checking all the fields does not solve the problem, because the only unchecked zones by default are the warnings - they do not block take offs.
One example: I was in Zadar, Croatia. The only restricted zone that DJI website showed was a small area above prison (screenshot attached). However, DJI GO app didn't let me take off in almost entire town and was showing much larger no fly zone (I don't remember its description but it was not a TFR for sure). So it looks that DJI GO app has more data, but it display only the zones that are close to user's current location.
Could you please check in your DJI GO app if you are able to see no fly zones for a different region, country?
Maybe it is related to a version number or something...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 5.21.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 5.21.00 PM.png
    542.5 KB · Views: 28

AirMap might be a better choice for those in Europe, but it still will not be the same as DJI’s app which still needs to be unlocked for you to fly in their NFZ zones.

Last edited:
One example: I was in Zadar, Croatia. The only restricted zone that DJI website showed was a small area above prison (screenshot attached). However, DJI GO app didn't let me take off in almost entire town and was showing much larger no fly zone (I don't remember its description but it was not a TFR for sure). So it looks that DJI GO app has more data, but it display only the zones that are close to user's current location.
Could you please check in your DJI GO app if you are able to see no fly zones for a different region, country?
That is odd. Usually the DJI flysafe website shows all their zones quite accurately. Not in the sense that they're all inidcated accurately in their legal locations where they should be, but in the sense that the ones that DJI do choose to show are actually where they will affect your drone in those locations.

It's the same here Canada. My DJI Fly App only shows the GEO zones around my immediate area. It won't show me zones in Europe if I scroll my app's map all the way to there.

DJI's flysafe map on their website will show different things depending on which drone you select from their list. For example, for my Phantom 3 Pro the only Restricted Zone is shown around the airport. There's nothing at all around the prison.
P3P.jpg

But for my Mini, with all the boxes checked, it does show the old town is within a simple Warning Zone, which won't prevent flying there.
Mini.jpg

When all the boxes are checked, zooming in on the old city and clicking on the prison, shows this.
Prison.jpg

So, as long as you're not within the Red Restricted Zone of the prison, you should only be seeing the simple Warning for the Zadar airport.

It's a shame you can't remember what the message actually said that prevented you from taking off. If it was a Temporary restriction it might not have been in place on the day you did your prior research, and it doesn't appear to be in place now. Strange, eh?

That is odd. Usually the DJI flysafe website shows all their zones quite accurately. Not in the sense that they're all inidcated accurately in their legal locations where they should be, but in the sense that the ones that DJI do choose to show are actually where they will affect your drone in those locations.

It's the same here Canada. My DJI Fly App only shows the GEO zones around my immediate area. It won't show me zones in Europe if I scroll my app's map all the way to there.

DJI's flysafe map on their website will show different things depending on which drone you select from their list. For example, for my Phantom 3 Pro the only Restricted Zone is shown around the airport. There's nothing at all around the prison.
View attachment 123886

But for my Mini, with all the boxes checked, it does show the old town is within a simple Warning Zone, which won't prevent flying there.
View attachment 123887

When all the boxes are checked, zooming in on the old city and clicking on the prison, shows this.
View attachment 123888

So, as long as you're not within the Red Restricted Zone of the prison, you should only be seeing the simple Warning for the Zadar airport.

It's a shame you can't remember what the message actually said that prevented you from taking off. If it was a Temporary restriction it might not have been in place on the day you did your prior research, and it doesn't appear to be in place now. Strange, eh?
The message was saying that I am within a restricted zone and I can't take off (I don't remember the exact description of the zone). I had to move several hundred meters to be able to take off, but then I was not able to fly over the town due to the zone that I could only see in DJI GO app (I checked the DJI website the same day - the zone that prevented me from flying was not there).

I had the same case in Alesund, Norway:
1613413793615.png

As you can see, no restricted zone on DJI website, but the app wouldn't let me take off, it was showing the restricted zone. Again, I checked the DJI website the same day I tried to fly. So I'm sure that DJI GO app has more restricted zones than the website is showing. They even admit it - see the info below the map:
"In compliance with the relevant laws, policies, and regulations, some GEO Zones will not appear on this web map. Please refer to the DJI GO app for more GEO Zones in effect."

" Please refer to the DJI GO app for more GEO Zones in effect."
That does seem to be a valid concern. It doesn't show on the online GEO map, and you can't see it on the app's map until you actually get to the site. So how can you plan ahead?

That does seem to be a valid concern. It doesn't show on the online GEO map, and you can't see it on the app's map until you actually get to the site. So how can you plan ahead?
Exactly, it looks you can't :(

Everything in my town is a prison even the Arch grounds (which BTW is a National Park). LOL When I first opened it, it was in Washington DC

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121