DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Market - growing, dying - So much discussion compared to what?

Dougcjohn

Reactions
I keep seeing great discussions on M3 or Air2S, or various Video or Photo technical techniques that go off tangent on satisfaction of DJI or their Products failing & loosing market share. Can't debate as more Drone manufactures enter or add product, the Drone market gains available options and competition. That's a Great End Result, it'll produce better products most likely at a lower price point.

But throwing out long debates within good technical or interesting threads, get the "Core" of the subject lost. Including myself, I might make a side-comment that may result in many more reactions and the end result, we're reading multiple Posts looking for the "Return" to the Subject post.

I'm throwing out my 2 Cents on the DJI Market discussion... in a thread for "DJI Market discussion".
My 2 Cents is my opinion... all debatable, Enjoy!

Overall DJI isn't loosing strength, they are expanding.
DJI market scope is getting more broad: Using their abilities to maintain existing markets and increase new markets.
Their Consumer Drone products are a big seller in "unit volume"... much bang for the buck on smaller platforms & new limits reached on professional focused crafts: M3 Cine & new Inspire soon. Their Enterprise sales volume is much lower compared to Consumer, but hold the majority market share in all catagories they've entered. The cost of a M300 or M30 is substantial, very expensive batteries, not to mention the high cost M300 Payloads! Some of these batteries or payloads exceed the cost of many units of a smaller Consumer Drone: M2AS, M3 Cine, etc.

New venture market... introduced with DJI FPV, a cinematic FPV market, added to the new Digital FPV Flight Kit & Googles. Both ventures set new ground in a market that didn't exist until DJI introduced new products.

They have a growing market in Agriculture, the newer Argus T30 is impressive and becoming more functional for aerial patch spraying or specialized crops & vineyards. This has broadened to other specialities: Roof Treatment, Pesticide controls (parks, schools, etc), cleaning of tall mast electronics.

Other improved some Markets by creating essentially an RTF "all in One" Kit packages: The Phantom 4 RTK & Mobile Unit, extremely accurate mapping platform and the Agriculture targeted Phantom 4 Multispectral & RTK (optional) provide a specialized NDVI focus. Both of these products eliminated the need to acquire multiple assets from multiple manufactures and associated frustrations getting a stable acquiring platform. Both are pricey packages compared to Consumer drones, but provide a much lower cost than alternative solutions.

Expansion of Cinematography Market: The improvement of cinematic gimbal hardware. The new RS2 series and Ronin series, up to the market breaking technology of the Ronin 4D High End system that again integrates components previously requiring multiple manufactures. For aerial, the Ronin MX with M600Pro remains a popular platform... mounted with Red, Sony A7, Canon, etc.

Entering existing photography markets with the Osmo Pocket2, Action 2... both gaining ground and market share.
Adding to the YouTubers tool box, introducing their Dual Wireless Mic system adaptable to multiple Brands.

The majority of the new market ventures are providing huge profit and they're encroaching on older Brands easily with new technologies and integration.

It's not all about the Drones anymore, and the overall satisfaction in other markets is high. So I don't think 1 product that needs correction is presenting high concern, they realize problems need to be corrected but they also realize their products easily compete or exceed competition. They're developing multiple new products in multiple markets; addressing & correcting problems (correction or new model) probably better and rapid than competition.

All said... I'd like my M3 Cine corrected & enhanced, I'd like new FW & Payloads for my Inspire 2, M600Pro and Matrices. But I also realize their only competition comes at a much higher cost I'm not willing to invest.

Reactions: Chaosrider
Dougcjohn, I totally agree with your assessment of DJI's business model. Their list of quality products in expanding markets is huge and will increase. Good luck in your future endeavors. You have some fine drones to work with.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
Over 120 examined this post... No Comments, disagreements, alternate views?

With all the side-track discussions within various Posts, expressing the state of DJI, quality or specific craft potential failures.

I figured a dedicated post of the state of DJI would be a great discussion!
So all that feel the Mavic 3 & Mavic 3 Cine lack of completion or prompt attention… DJI’s going down, poor quality, releases partially developed product.

The Mavic 3 FW and GPS issue…
FLY App lack of WayPoint support…
FLY App crafts lacking On-board Processing…
GO4App, new Pilot Apps…
Need to share SDK faster…
Autel provides better Support or Designs? …
Autel & Skydio are taking DJI Market Share…

Are all the above indictors DJI isn’t providing the products desired or lack quality or development?

Just picking a scab for discussion… a vent, praise, attack or defense platform.

Reactions: Frank Dracman
I think Mark's post above sums it up well, it's a subject which is really done to death so many times on this forum I don't think there's much different to discuss.
In a sort I’d agree… but examine several of the M3 Threads… each one takes a long detour on the DJI company & market survivability.

One thing I see DJI has done that perhaps no other consumer drone company has is that they have found a way to capitalize on one specific aspect about consumer drones that other companies haven't.

And that is: they have embraced the fact that they are selling extremely complex systems to users who for the most part have little to no understanding of those systems and are very likely to crash or damage them repeatedly through user error.

Care Refresh? So essentially DJI got tired of fighting all the claims of 'manufacture defects' and established a means by which they recycle crashed drones for a profit and a cost acceptable to the consumer. To me it looks like they have effectively set up an insurance gig that piggy-backs off of their own products sales.

DJI today sort of reminds me of the motorcycle business of the last quarter of the 20th century. Harley Davidson owned the market share of bike sales here in the states. It became a status symbol to own a Harley and many riders of HD never really looked anywhere else. Eventually HD got lazy and just kept pumping out the same thing they had for the previous 100 years and now they are struggling to break back into the market.

I think DJI makes a good product but there are other drones out there that are just as good or better when one takes into account all of the factors. As an example I have a Yuneec Typhoon H Plus that is fully unlocked as far as restrictions or geo zones. That one aspect alone makes that drone in a class by itself.

One thing I see DJI has done that perhaps no other consumer drone company has is that they have found a way to capitalize on one specific aspect about consumer drones that other companies haven't.

And that is: they have embraced the fact that they are selling extremely complex systems to users who for the most part have little to no understanding of those systems and are very likely to crash or damage them repeatedly through user error.

Care Refresh? So essentially DJI got tired of fighting all the claims of 'manufacture defects' and established a means by which they recycle crashed drones for a profit and a cost acceptable to the consumer. To me it looks like they have effectively set up an insurance gig that piggy-backs off of their own products sales.

DJI today sort of reminds me of the motorcycle business of the last quarter of the 20th century. Harley Davidson owned the market share of bike sales here in the states. It became a status symbol to own a Harley and many riders of HD never really looked anywhere else. Eventually HD got lazy and just kept pumping out the same thing they had for the previous 100 years and now they are struggling to break back into the market.

I think DJI makes a good product but there are other drones out there that are just as good or better when one takes into account all of the factors. As an example I have a Yuneec Typhoon H Plus that is fully unlocked as far as restrictions or geo zones. That one aspect alone makes that drone in a class by itself.
Hey Ty!
Yep the Yuneec’s have many qualities, stable Hex & quite for two.
RF signal could be improved… at least on my H520, and 3rd Party SW offerings.

Good point on the care refresh practice, as another revenue & service… I’m not sure if others offer that as well.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
In a sort I’d agree… but examine several of the M3 Threads… each one takes a long detour on the DJI company & market survivability.
That's my point, there's plenty of this discussion already so I don't see the need for another one. They just go round and round in circles never going anywhere.

That's my point, there's plenty of this discussion already so I don't see the need for another one. They just go round and round in circles never going anywhere.
Other threads focused on other subjects, I’d agree, in the way.
That’s my point… on a thread for the discussion of DJI… GO For it.

But, it’s forum… no required reading, plenty of other threads if not interested.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3