DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic 2 Pro - HDR / HGL

Just messing with the HGL profile:

Very nice. It looks to me like you're also in Florida on a lake.

My wife and I look forward to our first flight op being over and around our lake too. :)

I just received my M2P and fly more, but have 2 more packages enroute that are still in China.

Great looking video. But if you converted to h264 you removed the Hybrid Log Gamma extension and reduced your dynamic range to basic HD (Rec709). Hybrid Log Gamma requires 10-bit HEVC (h265) and basically takes the dynamic range of standard HD video (rec709) and extends it with an extended gamma curve. The advantage of HLG is that it is compatible with standard dynamic range displays by only showing the light levels of basic HDTV.

If you don't maintain the 10-bit source (and HLG specific metadata) from the original footage, you are throwing away the HDR dynamic range.

If you check the metadata on an HLG file from the Mavic 2 you will see that it is wide-gamut colorspace (BT.2020) and HLG. Here is what you'll see on an HLG file straight out of the Mavic:

Mavic File said:
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : HLG
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant

and I grabbed the metadata from your video on YouTube:

YouTube webm File said:
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Sorry if this post is out of place. I just see so many people that don't understand what HDR (in video) really means and DJI doesn't really do anything to explain it.

nothing done in post. Just convert it to h264 to upload to youtube.
You should have tried to view it directly on a 10Bit HDR TV understanding HLG. (Mine does not) Or convert it in H.265 bt2020 10Bit and try again. (This is something my TV reads and it looks awesome)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN