DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI MAVIC 3 CLASSIC - NOVEMBER 2ND 2022

One additional change. The Mavic 3 Classic comes with redesigned, cheaper jockstrap! Original Mavic 3 jockstrap is far better with more coverage for protection on top, and a better clasp.

No it's not at all fair and it's certainly not 'apples to apples' which is an incorrect use of the term, it's an apples to oranges comparison because you're comparing two different items - an apples to apples comparison would be to compare the price of a refurbed Mavic 3 to a refurbed Mavic 3 classic. If you want to buy a refurbished Mavic 3, go for it but there's no need to make incorrect comparisons to justify it.

Second hand items are always going to be cheaper and if price is important and you are happy to go refurbished then you're going to save more with a refurb Mavic 3 classic.
sorry...I disagree

it will be MY money I spend. So I can gauge price points exactly how it seems appropriate. I would have either a Mavic 3 with the 7X zoom or the M3C without the zoom. And it would only cost me $150 more for that 7X zoom. As I said, several times, I see little difference between a new drone and a refurbished-by-DJI drone. Similar warranties and same Care Refresh. If you want to perceive some massive advantage to new over refurbished, that's your prerogative. But as far as I'm concerned it is an apples to apples comparison. The only difference might be one apple is a Fuji and the other is a Braeburn.

for many people including myself, this was always going to come down to a choice between price point of the 7X and no 7X. Turns out the difference is also a gimbal lock. I don't really care if the difference is $150 (refurbished) or $450 (new). from where I'm at, even a $450 savings is not enough to delete the 7X + gimbal lock. And a $150 difference makes it a no-brainer

Reactions: GadgetGuy
sorry...I disagree

it will be MY money I spend. So I can gauge price points exactly how it seems appropriate. I would have either a Mavic 3 with the 7X zoom or the M3C without the zoom. And it would only cost me $150 more for that 7X zoom. As I said, several times, I see little difference between a new drone and a refurbished-by-DJI drone. Similar warranties and same Care Refresh. If you want to perceive some massive advantage to new over refurbished, that's your prerogative. But as far as I'm concerned it is an apples to apples comparison. The only difference might be one apple is a Fuji and the other is a Braeburn.

for many people including myself, this was always going to come down to a choice between price point of the 7X and no 7X. Turns out the difference is also a gimbal lock. I don't really care if the difference is $150 (refurbished) or $450 (new). from where I'm at, even a $450 savings is not enough to delete the 7X + gimbal lock. And a $150 difference makes it a no-brainer
Completely agree! If I wanted another Mavic 3, I would always buy a Refurb. They aren't used. They are often brand new, just sold as refurbs when there isn't as much need for replacements of new units under DJI Care. Getting DJI Care on them solves any concerns. DJI Care always replaces new drones with the same Refurbs!

Lastly, the jockstrap on the new Classic has been completely redesigned to a cheaper version with less protection.

Reactions: Cosmo0g
sorry...I disagree

If you wait a bit, you will be able to compare a refurb Mavic 3 to a refurb Classic 3. Which one would you pick then?

Reactions: Johnmcl7
If you wait a bit, you will be able to compare a refurb Mavic 3 to a refurb Classic 3. Which one would you pick then?
The refurb Mavic 3 every time. The current difference in price, apples to apples, is still only $450, based off the RC-N1 controller included in the current new $2050 Mavic 3 price, compared to the $1599 price for the Mavic 3 Classic with the same RC-N1. By the time you buy the FlyMore Kit for $649 and upgrade to a better RC (DJI RC$300 or $1200 RC Pro), the $450 represents a difference in price is only a small percentage of the grand total! Saves $450, if you insist upon buying new instead of refurbished, but for only 17% more than you spend on your full Mavic 3 Combo Kit, you can include a very useful 7x telephoto camera, that you can't add later without buying another Mavic 3!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmo0g
the Mavic 3, because I don't believe, for a minute, there will be a big differential in the price point

I mean, are you assuming the Classic will drop in refurbished price and the M3 won't?

It's a better deal in Euros because it includes VAT.

In the US, we have to pay 9-10% on top of those dollar prices for sales tax.
Pro tip secret: B&H Payboo card. Get one and use it and they discount the tax. 10%+ tax here so that would save at least $150. Just make sure you pay off the balance right away.

I’ve bought a Mini 2, Mini3, iPad and all sorts of stuff recently. Saved me a GOOD AMOUNT OF MONEY! I DETEST sales tax because the “rate” is a scam as I’ve already paid federal and state tax on the money I’m using to pay the sales tax. So the effective sales tax rate is closer to 14%.

Pro tip secret: B&H Payboo card. Get one and use it and they discount the tax. 10%+ tax here so that would save at least $150. Just make sure you pay off the balance right away.

I’ve bought a Mini 2, Mini3, iPad and all sorts of stuff recently. Saved me a GOOD AMOUNT OF MONEY! I DETEST sales tax because the “rate” is a scam as I’ve already paid federal and state tax on the money I’m using to pay the sales tax. So the effective sales tax rate is closer to 14%.
Pro tip secret #2: DroneNerds doesn't charge sales tax at all...pay anyway you like.

For those wanting to consider DJI Refurbished products like the $1750 Mavic 3 which is sold without any sales tax, saving another $175 over buying a Mavic 3 Classic from BB or Amazon:

Tested By Experts. Ready For You.​

Every DJI Refurbished aircraft is thoroughly tested by DJI Experts and includes DJI standard warranty.

There are no better experts in DJI products than those at DJI. Every refurbished product has undergone a professional refurbishing process that brings it up to the same high standards as brand new products, and all refurbished products come with new parts, new packaging and DJI's standard Manufacturer Warranty. If you are not happy with a refurbished product and have not yet activated it, you can return it within seven days of receipt for a full refund or a replacement refurbished product.

DJI Refurbished Product FAQ​

WHAT ARE DJI REFURBISHED PRODUCTS?

The products sent back by customers within seven days after he/she confirms receipt will be strictly examined, refurbished and repackaged, and sold as DJI refurbished products.

CAN I PURCHASE DJI CARE FOR A REFURBISHED DRONE?

Yes, the same 48 hour window from activation applies.

ARE DJI REFURBISHED PRODUCTS’ QUALITY GUARANTEED?

DJI promises you that every refurbished product is tested thoroughly, and that the quality and the appearance of refurbished products is the same as with new products.

WHAT KIND OF AFTER-SALE SERVICE ARE DJI REFURBISHED PRODUCTS ELIGIBLE FOR?

The after-sale service policy for DJI refurbished products is identical to that of new products. However, refurbished products can only be exchanged for refurbished products, not new products.

HOW CAN I BUY THE DJI REFURBISHED PRODUCTS?

The refurbished products are available on the DJI Online Store and other online platforms such as eBay and Drone Nerds. www.DroneNerds.com/

WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE PACKAGE?

Refurbished models include everything that is found in a new package

Last edited:

Pro tip secret #2: DroneNerds doesn't charge sales tax at all...pay anyway you like.

A few people will do the workarounds to save on sales taxes.

But most of the sales will be through channels like Amazon and BB.

A few people will do the workarounds to save on sales taxes.

But most of the sales will be through channels like Amazon and BB.
It‘s not a workaround when the DJI authorized dealer simply doesn't charge sales tax, and also ships free over $599. 10% sales tax on a $1750 sale is significant. If you are set on buying any Classic package, might as well buy from a trusted vendor who does not charge sales tax. The tax savings alone will pay for an extra M3 battery!

Refurbs can go either way depending on who does the refurbishing. If they're products sent back by customers and resold by the same store, I highly doubt they are "examined" beyond checking if there is an obvious physical problem. They're almost certainly just tossed into the refurb stock with the hope that the next customer won't notice the same issue. Unless they are sent back to DJI for thorough QC done by a human and using their specialized equipment, they aren't really refurbished. Does DroneNerds do the refurbishment or does DJI? If it's DJI then that's all good, same as any other product - the explanation from DroneNerds doesn't make that distinction.

The issue I have, and it's not unique to refurbs or even DJI, is that they don't seem to check for decentered lens elements OR they do, and impacts sustained during shipping are the primary cause of decentered lens elements. Some mild decentering is normal even on the most expensive lenses, however nothing should be leaving the factory with bad decentering, again unless it happens during shipping which is possible. I'm willing to bet drones returned for decentered lens elements aren't tested for that (because it's time consuming and requires controlled testing), and just go to the next person who may be less picky. That being said, it's no different than a new one in that regard, so there isn't much of a reason not to try a refurb as long as you have a warranty period.

Refurbs can go either way depending on who does the refurbishing. If they're products sent back by customers and resold by the same store, I highly doubt they are "examined" beyond checking if there is an obvious physical problem. They're almost certainly just tossed into the refurb stock with the hope that the next customer won't notice the same issue. Unless they are sent back to DJI for thorough QC done by a human and using their specialized equipment, they aren't really refurbished. Does DroneNerds do the refurbishment or does DJI? If it's DJI then that's all good, same as any other product - the explanation from DroneNerds doesn't make that distinction.

The issue I have, and it's not unique to refurbs or even DJI, is that they don't seem to check for decentered lens elements OR they do, and impacts sustained during shipping are the primary cause of decentered lens elements. Some mild decentering is normal even on the most expensive lenses, however nothing should be leaving the factory with bad decentering, again unless it happens during shipping which is possible. I'm willing to bet drones returned for decentered lens elements aren't tested for that (because it's time consuming and requires controlled testing), and just go to the next person who may be less picky. That being said, it's no different than a new one in that regard, so there isn't much of a reason not to try a refurb as long as you have a warranty period.
Good questions, and until I fully understood what a DJI certified Refurb was, I didn’t want one either. I have also purchased three other DJI refurbs over the years and had no issues with any of them. They are only returns received back by DJI within 7 days of purchase. They are not crashed and repaired aircraft. Here is what DroneNerds has on their website.

Tested By Experts. Ready For You.​

Every DJI Refurbished aircraft is thoroughly tested by DJI Experts and includes DJI standard warranty.

There are no better experts in DJI products than those at DJI. Every refurbished product has undergone a professional refurbishing process that brings it up to the same high standards as brand new products, and all refurbished products come with new parts, new packaging and DJI's standard Manufacturer Warranty. If you are not happy with a refurbished product and have not yet activated it, you can return it within seven days of receipt for a full refund or a replacement refurbished product.

DJI Refurbished Product FAQ​

WHAT ARE DJI REFURBISHED PRODUCTS?

The products sent back by customers within seven days after he/she confirms receipt will be strictly examined, refurbished and repackaged, and sold as DJI refurbished products.

CAN I PURCHASE DJI CARE FOR A REFURBISHED DRONE?

Yes, the same 48 hour window from activation applies.

ARE DJI REFURBISHED PRODUCTS’ QUALITY GUARANTEED?

DJI promises you that every refurbished product is tested thoroughly, and that the quality and the appearance of refurbished products is the same as with new products.

WHAT KIND OF AFTER-SALE SERVICE ARE DJI REFURBISHED PRODUCTS ELIGIBLE FOR?

The after-sale service policy for DJI refurbished products is identical to that of new products. However, refurbished products can only be exchanged for refurbished products, not new products.

HOW CAN I BUY THE DJI REFURBISHED PRODUCTS?

The refurbished products are available on the DJI Online Store and other online platforms such as eBay and Drone Nerds.

WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE PACKAGE?

Refurbished models include everything that is found in a new package

Reactions: CanadaDrone
I see that some comments mention that there is no gimbal lock on the Mavic 3 Classic. Does it mean that the gimbal can move during transportation?

I might have missed an earlier drop in price, but it sure looks like DJI has adjusted their Mavic 3 refurbished price to reflect the M3 Classic roll-out

they are 'now' selling a refurbished Mavic 3 for $1639

the page is a bit confusing if you look for what's in the box as they appear to be mixing the M3 with the M3 Cine. But it sure looks like the $1639 includes the M3+battery+RC-N1+65W charger+accessories.

so then, the same package of the M3 Classic is $1599 compared to the refurbished M3 at $1639. That would mean (if you're OK with refurbished) for only $40 more you can get the 7X zoom with the lockable gimbal. That insignificant of a differential sure goes a long ways in offsetting refurbished vs new
DJI is also selling a refurbished M3 FMC for $2279. That includes M3+three batteries+RC-N1+charging hub+65W charger+sets of 8 ND filters+carry bag+accessories

if you don't want the carry bag, I suppose you have to calculate cost of wanted components, but it comes up to about equal to that $2279 cost, so the FMC is simple and you get the carry bag for free

I'm pretty sure I read that also

Although that doesn't bother me, the harness will do a good job

My old Mavic 2 Pro didn't have this feature, and the gimbal was alwoasy well protected :)
So the harness will be directly in contact with the glass of the lens? I guess it will cause scratches over time no? 😧

I have seen unboxing videos of the Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Classic and they are both using a harness with a cover at the front that lock the gimbal in place so I don't know what type of gimbal lock are they talking about that the Mavic 3 has but not the Mavic 3 classic.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmgde