DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI mavic air escapes collision with kite

When was the avoided collision? Btw reckless flying over kites, you wouldn't be able to spot one coming from the sides or a kiter jumping.

Reactions: elich11
Hmm, I was keeping 25m high, which is the normal kite lines length, but the guy had 2m extension, and was flying 27m lines...

Still reckless, if they jump the kite can easily reach higher heights. Also that would have meant flying in high wind conditions and possibly with gusts.

Yes, you are correct, it was dangerous, and the wind was around 18n, I don't think I will take this chance again.

Yes, you are correct, it was dangerous, and the wind was around 18n, I don't think I will take this chance again.
At least keep it at 35 meters or even higher. I always take at least 10 meters distance. Just make sure you can land it safely and it doesn't do RTH or you might get in the way of someone landing a kite.

Reactions: Kilrah and elich11
Hmm, I was keeping 25m high, which is the normal kite lines length, but the guy had 2m extension, and was flying 27m lines...
Were you flying with the full permission of the boarders or were you just making a nuisance of yourself? Sorry, but it looked pretty reckless to me!

Were you flying with the full permission of the boarders or were you just making a nuisance of yourself? Sorry, but it looked pretty reckless to me!
I'm an experienced kiter myself, the beach is open, and there is no problems to fly there.
And yes, I agree that this was not good practice on my side.

Ah btw the height calculation is very naive. 25m is average kite lines lenght, fine, but even excluding the stretch, the kiter waist will stand at least 1m from the water, plus waves would raise him a couple of meters and... the C-Kite protrudes at least a couple of meters when powered. So 30m would have been the very minimum height to fly... but still not taking into account other variables, such as jumps.

Last edited:
I'm an experienced kiter myself, the beach is open, and there is no problems to fly there.
And yes, I agree that this was not good practice on my side.
I'm reckless too, I didn't mean to block you. Just meant to say take more margin :)

I am both a drone pilot and kiteboarder. This was very bad and dangerous drone flying on your part. The length of the kite lines and the extensions are immaterial. Kiters like to jump and jump high. You should either stay over shore or keep your drone much higher when flying over kites IMHO.

Precisely. Fly 35-50m high (not too high for the wind) and you'll be safe, wind permitted. Film in 4k and crop later.

Unless you are on a shore with just a few kiters, in such case just fly upwind and you should be safe.

But if you found such a spot, you would be lucky, normally there aren't less then 30 kiters in the water on major spots. Hard and unpredictable conditions.

Great video! Nice work! I love videos like this.
To soothe all the worry warts, you just need to put a screen in the beginning that says
"No innocent Kite surfers were killed or injured during this flight"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb