DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Air has been released (taking pre-orders now)

Is absolutely NOT faster than my Mavic Pro on sport mode. Factory settings yes MA 68,4Km/h and MP 65,0Km/h

But you don't have to settle for that. In no wind I fly always close to 80Km/h, tailwind even more.

Hope the Mavic 2 would be 30-50% bigger than the MP with 45min flying time and the camera from Phantom 4P.

Don't need/want a small "wannabe" Mavic with 15min actual flytime and a RC with no telemetry info. Like flying in a sack if the live feed crashes and stays down for a while. Think about it...

What are you talking about? DJI said that the Air IS faster than the pro in sport mode...42.5 mph on the Air vs 40 mph on the Pro. That is in fact faster is it not?

What are you talking about? DJI said that the Air IS faster than the pro in sport mode...42.5 mph on the Air vs 40 mph on the Pro. That is in fact faster is it not?
Yes of course it is. Out of the box. So what 2,5Km/h faster if you can make your MP go over 80Km/h

Masa is running in the (jailbreak) Super Sport Mode:
It remains to be seen if the AIR has similar capabilities or if it is closer to the edge in stock form.

It remains to be seen if the AIR has similar capabilities or if it is closer to the edge in stock form.
Somebody mentioned that how long for the whitehats to hack into this one. I think DJI has made it close to very difficult if not impossible.... like with the newest FW on the MP.

While speed isn't particularly important to me personally, I don't think it's fair to do a comparison between a jailbroken/modified mavic pro against the air.

Reactions: Neebles

That’s pretty cool, but not sure I would want to do that type of mod to a 1000 dollar UAV. I have plenty of FPV racing quads for when I want to go fast.

Just making the most of my MP. I love it and no issues to date. The "mod" is just squeezing a little bit more power out of the engines and small altercations. Or do you really enjoy your wind warnings when you know it's safe to fly? Or do you really enjoy the neverending beeping of RTH or battery low (15%). I don't, so i excluded them.

While speed isn't particularly important to me personally, I don't think it's fair to do a comparison between a jailbroken/modified mavic pro against the air.
I don't think life is fair, maybe that's why I have to "jailbrake" my MP [emoji12]

I don't think life is fair, maybe that's why I have to "jailbrake" my MP [emoji12]

You could argue that you don't "have" to jailbreak your mavic. You want functionality that didn't exist when purchasing it. As another said above, I'd be curious to see what a Mavic Air could do with the same features added in to it. I personally don't see the Air being faster than the Pro overall. And what little bursts it can be faster than, won't matter when it's having to be landed shortly after due to the small battery.

Somebody mentioned that how long for the whitehats to hack into this one. I think DJI has made it close to very difficult if not impossible.... like with the newest FW on the MP.
Saw a report just yesterday on another forum that claims they're already in. I'm skeptical, because this means they'd have to have access to a pre-release review unit, but I've learned to believe what the White Hats say they can do - they have always come through in the past, including fixing the "non-downgradable" latest MP firmware. I smile every time I think about how this must be driving DJI nuts.

My Mavic's not only parameter-tweaked a bit, but also rooted. It was claimed that couldn't be done, either.

I personally don't see the Air being faster than the Pro overall. And what little bursts it can be faster than, won't matter when it's having to be landed shortly after due to the small battery.
The only thing we know for sure at this point is that it will be tested to see just what it can do, and compared to the Mavic. It all comes down to aerodynamics, wing loading and power-to-weight ratio.

The only thing we know for sure at this point is that it will be tested to see just what it can do, and compared to the Mavic. It all comes down to aerodynamics, wing loading and power-to-weight ratio.

Yep. I'll actually do a test of my own just to see. I'll be pairing the mavic with both the stock and revised (platinum) blades for comparison

I wonder about rigid props, too...I would certainly believe there's performance advantages least under hard acceleration if nothing else were that claim to me made

Again on the missing telemetry from the Air remote: Today, flying the Pro, the app froze/''lost connection'' (seen it a few times before too). Now, I have something like 13 other (non GPS) drones, so quite used to flying w/o a FPV screen and app data, however, I tend to send the MP a lot further away than those other birds.
Having the distance/altitude/battery status right there on the remote is a huge plus in these situations. Yep, there is that Return to home button, but it is not completely fail safe.

Last edited:
I think that's kinda why the FAA wants you to maintain LOS :)

Yessir, but with the drone as a tiny spec in the sky (but still in LOS), being able to tell from a brief look at the remote telemetry if you are actually reeling it in or sending it further away is of great help. Of course, experienced pilots will apply pitch and then pull it to the right or left and then see which way it goes, but having the distance info on the screen is much better.

The Mavic Air has just been released by DJI!

See more details here. While supplies last, you can pre-order a Mavic Air from DJI here.

I would probably have ordered one right away. But I won't! And I will not buy a DJI Product ever again - Unless - they ditch the stupid log-in before you can fly stuff and stop the unrealistic NFZ's. Don't mind NFZ's around major airports but DJI go way over the top. Shame, it looks like a great little machine. One lost customer DJI.....! You've gotta vote with your wallet if you want things to change.

I think it’s about 2.5 Miles?
I don’t like that the remote doesn’t have ANY information displayed on it what-so-ever.

None of the Phantoms had a display on the remotes either and I have been lucky enough to never crash them. When I first looked that the Air, I initially thought it should have been called a Spark 2. Then I saw one YouTube review after another and I was sold! I mainly shoot video at targeted subjects so extremely long distances and battery life isn't a deal breaker for me. The video bit rate beats MP by 40mbps and u don't have to tap to focus all the time. More confidence with front and rear sensors. More preset maneuvers that are outstanding.

None of the Phantoms had a display on the remotes either and I have been lucky enough to never crash them. When I first looked that the Air, I initially thought it should have been called a Spark 2. Then I saw one YouTube review after another and I was sold! I mainly shoot video at targeted subjects so extremely long distances and battery life isn't a deal breaker for me. The video bit rate beats MP by 40mbps and u don't have to tap to focus all the time. More confidence with front and rear sensors. More preset maneuvers that are outstanding.

Yes, I keep hearing that the phantoms never had any display...That’s great, however, I have never owned a phantom. Every non-toy drone I have flown has had a telemetry display on the remote. My personal preference is to have info displayed directly on the remote. I don’t like having to rely on an app. Different stokes for different folks.

Reactions: JoKhool and Espen W
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf