DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji mavic air photo

Reactions
Hello guys. I have a problem with my photos on mode vertical.
Photos on top and bottom are rounded.
Before I had normal vertical photos. I don't understand if there is a particular setting.
Can you help me

Welcome to the forums - great place to get tips and answers to your questions. Also, the search function if an excellent place to search for the many questions a new member will have.

Can you post one of the photos ?

Yes let you see

Attachments

• org_249c397eddc76dd3_1580997106000.jpg
    org_249c397eddc76dd3_1580997106000.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 139
  • screen_6b9e625f7ca78404_1580997038000.jpg
    screen_6b9e625f7ca78404_1580997038000.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 136
The rounded horizon is normal with a wide angle lens ... only way to keep out of that is to keep the horizon in the middle.

Yes let you see
Does this show in landscape format images as well?
Does this show in jpg files straight from the camera?
The rounded horizon is normal with a wide angle lens ... only way to keep out of that is to keep the horizon in the middle.
If that was the case, we'd see every off-centre horizon, in everyone's drone shots bowed like that.
But we don't.

If that was the case, we'd see every off-centre horizon, in everyone's drone shots bowed like that.
But we don't.
I don’t know about you Meta but for me that is the first portrait landscape shot I have seen from the air with the horizon so close to the frame edge.

If we consider that landscape orientation shots do exhibit significant barrel distortion, we know it is most pronounced with the horizon nearer frame edge and that a portrait image will place the horizon even further out towards the edge of lens circle of coverage my money says this is probably normal and expected.

If we consider that landscape orientation shots do exhibit significant barrel distortion, we know it is most pronounced with the horizon nearer frame edge
I shoot a lot where the sea horizon is visible and it doesn't matter how close the horizon is to the top or bottom of the frame, it's always straight.
DJI_0796a-XL.jpg

I don't have a drone with a rotating camera, but when I shoot portrait format with the SLR and a wide lens, the horizon is still straight

Reactions: Phill
I shoot a lot where the sea horizon is visible and it doesn't matter how close the horizon is to the top or bottom of the frame, it's always straight.
DJI_0796a-XL.jpg

I don't have a drone with a rotating camera, but when I shoot portrait format with the SLR and a wide lens, the horizon is still straight
We would expect P4P to be significantly better than Mavic Air. If this is a JPG then barrel distortion will have been corrected in camera. An uncorrected DNG from my P4P or M2P shows very marked barrel distortion- the distortion of the horizon is VERY pronounced when it is close to frame edge.

If this is a JPG then barrel distortion will have been corrected in camera. An uncorrected DNG from my P4P or M2P shows very marked barrel distortion- the distortion of the horizon is VERY pronounced when it is close to frame edge.
I asked if it was a jpg from the camera because an uncorrected DNg was the only thing I could guess that would show that.
But complaining about barrel distortion in an uncorrected image doesn't make much sense when the camera maker makes the effort to correct barrel distortion.
I was challenging post #4 where it said: The rounded horizon is normal with a wide angle lens which simply is not true.

I asked if it was a jpg from the camera because an uncorrected DNg was the only thing I could guess that would show that.
But complaining about barrel distortion in an uncorrected image doesn't make much sense when the camera maker makes the effort to correct barrel distortion.
I was challenging post #4 where it said: The rounded horizon is normal with a wide angle lens which simply is not true.
Yeah- that might well be your experience. From the pile of glass I have here I would say that the barrel distortion with shorter focal lengths (wider FOV) is typical. Some of these lenses I am used to seeing it with are very well regarded and not insignificant money to buy either. Its not hard to imagine that the correction required to compensate for it might be outside the Mavic Air budget.

But we don't.
That barrel distortion becomes worse depending on that MA do the vertical by means of a pano shot.

That barrel distortion becomes worse depending on that MA do the vertical by means of a pano shot.
It's hard to tell what you are saying there .. can you rephrase that?

I have trouble accepting this as normal.
Can anyone with a Mavic Air do a test shot to see if this is normal?

It's hard to tell what you are saying there .. can you rephrase that?

I have trouble accepting this as normal.
Can anyone with a Mavic Air do a test shot to see if this is normal?
I have an MA... and that can't take single vertical shots as the MP for instance. But you can make a vertical pano... and that make that effect larger.

I have an MA... and that can't take single vertical shots as the MP for instance. But you can make a vertical pano... and that make that effect larger.
If you are saying that the Air does not have a rotating camera that confirms what I thought.
Only the original Mavic and its variants have the rotating camera.

It seems the OP must have been asking about a problem with a 3 image panorama rather than single images.
If you are getting bowed horizons on a stitched panorama, that's an issue with the projection you've used in the stitch rather than an issue with the original images.

If you are saying that the Air does not have a rotating camera that confirms what I thought.
Only the original Mavic and its variants have the rotating camera.

It seems the OP must have been asking about a problem with a 3 image panorama rather than single images.
If you are getting bowed horizons on a stitched panorama, that's an issue with the projection you've used in the stitch rather than an issue with the original images.
I can’t see how the stitching is the problem here, doesn’t mean it isn’t- obviously. It Won’t be the exclusive contributor though.

Wide angle lenses are prone to barrel distortion. Optical correction adds complexity, weight and cost. The Mavic Air is well known to produce curved horizons, examples of the issue have been discussed (with examples) in several threads in this forum and elsewhere

Add to that the natural observed curvature of the horizon (easily seen with the naked eye looking out to sea) and it isn’t hard to appreciate what is going on here.

But we don't.

No on mode paysage it doesn't show.

So ... then we are ready to draw the conclusions.

Took my Air for some vertical pano shots ... compered the in camera stitch, 2 type of ICE stitches & then added the single top horizon pic. as reference. Pretty clear what's causing the problem with the excessive bowed horizon. Lesson learned ... do the stitching manually instead.

In camera stitch:
Mavic Air stiched.JPG

ICE Cylindrical stitch:
ICE Cylindrical small.jpg

ICE transverse cylindrical stitch:
ICE Transverse cylindrical small.jpg

And lastly the single top pic with the horizon for reference:
Top pic in pano.JPG

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics