DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Boat Chasing Alaska

cmavicak

Reactions
Here is a video from last weekend. The Mavic is sure an impressive machine, DJI packed a lot of capability into this little drone. I built the boat around 10 years ago and we always look forward to our first trip out early summer.

Last edited:
That's an awesome video! One of the best I've seen in a while.

How fast was the boat traveling? I was surprised that the Mavic could keep up so well! Also, how did you get it to track so closely? Were you hand flying it instead of using Active Track?

Beautiful! And you brought the dog for extra credit.........

I have a couple Phantoms and an Inspire, but more frequently reach for the Mavic. Here is a video from this weekend. I built the boat around 10 years ago.

Awesome video, very well done. And great job on the boat too! That is awesome performance with 4 people and only 25hp.

Thanks guys! All of the shots were flown manually with the exception of the orbit shot around the island. We cruise at around 25mph loaded. I love how the Mavic handles in sport, you just have to be careful about larger inputs that disrupt the smooth shot. Not one shot had a prop in it, impressive little machine!

Nice shot, brave and smooth. I am wondering what was the animal crossing the lake?
If you would turn off obstacle avoidance most probably you would still manage with p-mode. 4 people with 25hp engine with this hull design should give approx wot speed at 22knots (25mph)

That was a beaver. There were two them that have a house built on the little island. I stayed high enough to not disturb and zoomed in a little in post. I've had the boat up to 34mph wide open with just me. (Stock prop) I could have kept up on Pmode, but prefer sport.

34mph for 25hp- nice!
I am getting 34mph with 60hp (WOT).
But number of people make huge difference at this outboard power range. What about 5 people would you manage to plane with that engine?

Thanks guys! All of the shots were flown manually with the exception of the orbit shot around the island. We cruise at around 25mph loaded. I love how the Mavic handles in sport, you just have to be careful about larger inputs that disrupt the smooth shot. Not one shot had a prop in it, impressive little machine!
Really nice hand flying there - super smooth. Enjoyed the video!

Reactions: cmavicak
Beautiful video.
Several observations:
- the water was like glass - amazingly calm day which made the picture quality look even more phenomenal.
- the chase scenes were awesome! I can't believe that was all manual - you're good!
- I can't get over how clear and sharp everything looks. I viewed this on an iPad mini 4 and it was ultra sharp.

A couple questions:
- how long have you been flying the Mavic?
- do you think those same chase/follow shots could've been achieved using the intelligent follow-me mode with similar results?
- what editing program do you use?
- what luts/ color grading did you apply, to the main video, if any?

Just an amazing job, sir. You have some talent!

Reactions: Goose0410
34mph for 25hp- nice!
I am getting 34mph with 60hp (WOT).
But number of people make huge difference at this outboard power range. What about 5 people would you manage to plane with that engine?
I have power trim, large outboard fin, and an aluminum planing fin. This allows me to get on step with 4 adults and 100lbs of gear/dogs. I couldn't do anymore. I'd like to extend the boat by a couple feet and go to 30hp. Great little boat, but it is only 12'

Beautiful video.
Several observations:
- the water was like glass - amazingly calm day which made the picture quality look even more phenomenal.
- the chase scenes were awesome! I can't believe that was all manual - you're good!
- I can't get over how clear and sharp everything looks. I viewed this on an iPad mini 4 and it was ultra sharp.

A couple questions:
- how long have you been flying the Mavic?
- do you think those same chase/follow shots could've been achieved using the intelligent follow-me mode with similar results?
- what editing program do you use?
- what luts/ color grading did you apply, to the main video, if any?

Just an amazing job, sir. You have some talent!
Much appreciated. I've had the Mavic for a month, and picked up my first drone one year ago. I've flown RC planes for a long time and that has helped a great deal. I usually fly manually on everything and turn off obstacle avoidance to get in close. You could achieve similar results with follow, but at a greater distance from the boat. I use Final Cut Pro. No color grading really, one of the shots was brightened up. I can't remember what color profile I used in the app, but will check. I actually have the right side soft focus issue and work around it using careful manual focus settings. The Mavic will go in for repair, but I've been enjoying it to much to package it up right now. Thanks again, safe flying.

Reactions: mr_stunning
Can you please tell me what settings you are using for nice smooth video like yours?

Here is a video from last weekend. The Mavic is sure an impressive machine, DJI packed a lot of capability into this little drone. I built the boat around 10 years ago and we always look forward to our first trip out early summer.

Nice playground you have there

Reactions: cmavicak
Can you please tell me what settings you are using for nice smooth video like yours?
2.7K/30fps
Auto White Balance
Style: Landscape
Color: True Color
Exposure Value (EV): Anywhere from -1 to +1 depending on the lighting

I like shooting in 2.7K and using the extra pixels to crop, zoom, or stabilize as needed in post. I love 2.7K/60fps on the P4P for creating slow motion in 30fps video. 2.7K makes beautiful 1080P. I don't have a need for 4k, and with how much I fly it eats too much space. Only a couple of those shots were stabilized in Final Cut. When I turn on the camera my flying style completely changes. No abrupt movements, have you shots planned. Get good at rolling the gimbal up and down smoothly during a shot. Practice orbiting your position manually, this skill comes in very handy. Practice flying sideways. Last, fly fly fly. Get a bunch of hours at the controls.

The Mavic will go in for repair, but I've been enjoying it to much to package it up right now. Thanks again, safe flying.

Very good, nicely done.

If / when you decide to send in your Mavic for repair, turn around time is going to be some where between 5 - 6 weeks. I had to send mine in for a gimbal yerk / twitch, the Mavic came like that out of the box. I hesitated to go that route because I knew it was going to take a long time and had a trip abroad to Costa Rica for our wedding anniversary. Luckily, the Mavic behaved during the trip, all the videos came out nice. Upon our return I sent her in for warranty work to DJI, the whole process took close to 6 weeks, DJI sent me a new drone. The replacement I received flies flawlessly.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut