DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Mini - Flyaway Assistance

Net, I have not had this issue but, would it have worked better (assuming he could keep signal) if, instead of S mode he would have lowered altitude (hopefully to lower winds) to bring it back?
@slup already answered it perfectly. You need to be in sports (S) mode, as this will provide maximum propulsion power. There is no other way (not C or P) to get more (power) out of the mini. Then you need to descend while you still can, as lower to the ground the wind has less speed. Again, "lower" means 5-10 meters maximum altitude. Take this with a pinch of salt, as the terrain will dictate how low can you go and this will also dictate what max return altitude you can set to auto-return if the signal is lost. Use common sense.

Every pilot who has flown for a certain number of hours and who managed to see how the aircraft behaves in high wind knows what to do, in order to save it. This is why we go out in the park or big open areas and practice getting hands on experience.

Reactions: Lastrexking
I feel sorry for another Mini loss but let me point out:

At 1000 mt for the CE model it would be pretty reasonable to lose signal over houses full of Wi-Fi. The problem is chiefly why it's got there.

It should have fought harder and earlier. If it's so susceptible to wind why doesn't it even tilt up to it's maximum nominal spec. to fly back ? Why they don't implement some strategy against it !?

They could retrace the path back to home if it was lower than RTH, because what happens after link loss ? The drone initiates auto-RTH, gets to RTH altitude which is higher more times than not and gets carried away when it probably could have returned if... it was given the full beans on the way back and fly at normal altitude rather than RTH one.

I did exactly everything you did- I almost wrecked - I jumped in my f250 to chase it- it started flying over the highway - i let you envision a 2015 f250 platinum driving down rd- trying to get drone. Excersise extreme caution flying this drone - really anywhere - and don’t chase it in a car - especially by yourself in a f250..I’m pissed - I hope they replace my mini- that’s the rite thing to do- I have been a loyal customer and that’s unacceptable - no warning and people I’m sure may be running after their minis in cars- I can’t even imagine the liability DJI could potentially face. I will update soon there response -

I did exactly everything you did- I almost wrecked - I jumped in my f250 to chase it- it started flying over the highway - i let you envision a 2015 f250 platinum driving down rd- trying to get drone. Excersise extreme caution flying this drone - really anywhere - and don’t chase it in a car - especially by yourself in a f250..I’m pissed - I hope they replace my mini- that’s the rite thing to do- I have been a loyal customer and that’s unacceptable - no warning and people I’m sure may be running after their minis in cars- I can’t even imagine the liability DJI could potentially face. I will update soon there response -

So you launched it into 30 mph winds and are blaming DJI because it was blown away?

@ServiceM8 , you have already opened a thread regarding your event ... please attach your flight log there instead of polluting other events, the logs will then tell what actually happened.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scout Aerial