DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 2 doesn't record continuously

Ruzz

Reactions
Hi guys, does anybody know how to make changes so the videos can be recorded continuously. It brakes down videos in parts, 6min-3.5gb at the time / 4k / 30fps. Using DJI Mini 2.

Thats normal. It is a continuous recording, but because of FAT32 limitations, the file size limit is 4GB.
ExFAT doesn't have the limitation, but a common denominator is used.
Some say it's also that a 32 bit header is used in the video encoding which also imposes the 4GB limit.

You can use a video editor and stitch them together.

Reactions: Ruzz
As @DanMan32 says, it's a legacy Windows FAT file system limitation. I suspect it's because SD cards come pre-formatted FAT32 most of the time, and the general public is apparently too incompetent to format the card to exFAT.

So, we live with this legacy -- now 40 years a zombie.

You won't miss a single frame splicing the clips together in any decent editor.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
I suspect it's because SD cards come pre-formatted FAT32 most of the time, and the general public is apparently too incompetent to format the card to exFAT.
No matter how you format the card, you won't be able to go beyond the 4GB limit.

As @DanMan32 says, it's a legacy Windows FAT file system limitation. I suspect it's because SD cards come pre-formatted FAT32 most of the time, and the general public is apparently too incompetent to format the card to exFAT.

So, we live with this legacy -- now 40 years a zombie.

You won't miss a single frame splicing the clips together in any decent editor.
Actually cards greater than 32GB come formatted ExFAT and ExFAT is used for formatting bigger cards in AC or PC. The AC could remove the file size limitation in recordings with bigger cards formatted ExFAT, but they don't.
But then huge files could be trouble.

No matter how you format the card, you won't be able to go beyond the 4GB limit.
True, but only because of limitations of DJI's engineering.

The only reason you will still get split video at the 4GB mark is because DJI doesn't bother to make any distinction on filesystems. There is no reason, other than DJI engineering, that our birds don't write a continuous file on exFAT.

Heck, the SD cards can be formatted with NTFS. The limitation is not SD cards and filesystem designs, it's the software in DJI drones.

I don't mind the splitting. I simply stitch the files together. I haven't noticed any frame skipping, between clips. The Video limit also makes the files more manageable

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242