DJI Mini 2 maximum weight lift test- video

zeusfl

Mavic Pilot Guru
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
youtube.com
Good evening everybody,
Just for curiosity I decided to put my DJI Mini 2 to test and see how much weight can lift.
The outcome is really surprising me and leave me amaze how capable is this little drone.
Enjoy the video and please subscribe to my channel.

Thanks !!!

Well done! Very good test.

Reactions: JTZ and zeusfl
Reactions: Brockrock
Informative and Educational with a bit of edge of seat captivity...well done...powerful little beast huh? Anyone that loses this one in wind probably shouldn't be flying anything at this point ;)

Informative and Educational with a bit of edge of seat captivity...well done...powerful little beast huh? Anyone that loses this one in wind probably shouldn't be flying anything at this point ;)
I completely agree.

Nice to know the lift capacity. If they change the regulations to require licensing on sub-250 drones, it may come in handy if you want to add stuff like strobes, etc.

Otherwise, adding any weight defeats the purpose of a sub-250g drone.

Reactions: Jam0ne
Good evening everybody,
Just for curiosity I decided to put my DJI Mini 2 to test and see how much weight can lift.
The outcome is really surprising me and leave me amaze how capable is this little drone.
Enjoy the video and please subscribe to my channel.

Thanks !!!

Seen these kind of tests before on various drones, not sure what the point is maxing out the motors, oh I understand the want to know, but they are not designed for it, it's not like you are going to fly around like that. If you are going to do it, you should at least set the weight on the ground to add more weight, back up and then lift off. Throwing the weight in while in the air you could wind up eating one of those sinkers, or have a prop failure and you get cut up by a falling drone. Just my OP.

Did that 10 ounces include the weight of the container and monofilament?

Did that 10 ounces include the weight of the container and monofilament?
No. Is not including that. The container is 9 grams, + 1 gram the braider line.
And I says 10 ounces because i was using 5 2oz weights but the reality each 2oz weights about 3grams extra than what the weights says.

Reactions: gemniii
Seen these kind of tests before on various drones, not sure what the point is maxing out the motors, oh I understand the want to know, but they are not designed for it, it's not like you are going to fly around like that. If you are going to do it, you should at least set the weight on the ground to add more weight, back up and then lift off. Throwing the weight in while in the air you could wind up eating one of those sinkers, or have a prop failure and you get cut up by a falling drone. Just my OP.

There is a lot to learn from these tests.

Knowing that drone does not really weight 249 grams was the first eye opener.

Understanding the Limits ,shows that the Motors have been improved upon , so flying with extra 2 to 3 ounces should be ok,

The Dropping of the Weight can simulate a heavy wind or rain or even a heavy snow so that is great to see..

We have also noticed the ESC Beep after flying in 15/20 mph winds and this can be a problem for any remote Landings on the Water. Imagine landing on the water and not being able to get back, That ESC error can be a float killer.

We have made mention of the Sensors being very unstable in another post causing the drone to fly straight up when covered, but I think Zues has a handle on that now.

These type of tests are critical for every drone and every update , were very glad to have them .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the rain.

The main idea is show the capacity the drone has to lift payload. This will demonstrate the behavior in order to know the limits in case you want to install any accessory. Now we know how safe will be install strobe lights, fishing stuff, banners, any Halloween accessory like flying ghost, candy drops for birthdays....and much more.

Also doing this I find out the problem the drone has when you cover the sensor. This needs to be addressed by DJI.

The main idea is show the capacity the drone has to lift payload. This will demonstrate the behavior in order to know the limits in case you want to install any accessory. Now we know how safe will be install strobe lights, fishing stuff, banners, any Halloween accessory like flying ghost, candy drops for birthdays....and much more.

Also doing this I find out the problem the drone has when you cover the sensor. This needs to be addressed by DJI.
I understand the want to know. Putting strobes on is a given, and I'm sure DJI has no problems with that. Adding rain suits and flotation devices has been tested by Phantomrain and they know the weight already. The floatation devices I'm sure do not absorb water. If you want to fly around with things hanging from the drone and an accident occurs, how does that affect your warranty with DJI since they are (NOT) designed for that function. Amazon, Fedex and UPS I'm sure are testing lifting capacities of more expensive drones to carry things, they are in that business, we are not. If you want to do it, fine, but this hobby is getting enough flack from people thinking we are invading their privacy, what happens when they here we are carrying things over their heads now, ( like halloween decorations or candy drops, really,) whatever, and afraid we are going to start dropping things on them? Just asking, and the point is not just about wanting to know with legitimate tests, but the nuts out there that see it as something new and cool to try (not in test) but flying around with cans of beer for the neighbor. It's just my opinion, but I think doing this sends the wrong message, and purpose, about the hobby we love.

I am not sure how is affecting the hobby the fact I want to know the lifting capacity from the drone. I am sorry if I offend you in any matter with this test.

Doing the test, I discover an unknown behavior from this drone when you cover the vision sensor, that does not happen with the other DJI drones when you do so. DJI recommend to disable the vision sensor when you fly over the water, with the DJI fly app we can not disabled so we can cover the sensors with this drone.

Also with the test we can calculate the power that has the drone to fight strong winds. There are much data and benefit from it.

" It's just my opinion, but I think doing this sends the wrong message, and purpose, about the hobby we love."

Really?

Last edited:
I am not sure how is affecting the hobby the fact I want to know the lifting capacity from the drone. I am sorry if I offend you in any matter with this test.

Doing the test, I discover an unknown behavior from this drone when you cover the vision sensor, that does not happen with the other DJI drones when you do so. DJI recommend to disable the vision sensor when you fly over the water, with the DJI fly app we can not disabled so we can cover the sensors with this drone.

Also with the test we can calculate the power that has the drone to fight strong winds. There are much data and benefit from it.

" It's just my opinion, but I think doing this sends the wrong message, and purpose, about the hobby we love."

Really?
Don't get me wrong Zeusfl you did not offend me at all. I am not arguing with you. I just wanted to state the point about where this could lead, not for the good, but the bad. We already have built in wind warnings, and recommendations for flying over water, and DJI has tested the strength of these drones to operate with the battery and body weight to the best the engineers can do for the ultimate efficiency. Strobes are not an issue and as I said, wet suits or a lite flotation is probably a none issue, I just don't believe any of us responsible pilots will try to fly with that much weight, but some (not you) stupid people will. If an accident can happen, it will. Does the weight suddenly break with the string attached and the drone flies up, the pilot reacts and pulls it down, the string tangles in the prop and crash. Will it happen to you, probably not, but does the end justify the means for something that's unnecessary, and probably something that would be against DJI warranty. Hey, have fun with it my friend, and fly safe.

Reactions: zeusfl
I love it!!! With cool videos like the one above who needs comedy central, please give me more.

I would love to see Halloween accessories flying under Mini or since Christmas is coming soon, how about connecting Santa to Mini and letting him drop gifts with some drone dropper, in some light snowstorm. Sleds are so old school.

Unbelievable, impressive :):):)

Nice
With hooks and accessories, it's strong enough to be sent to recover another Mini (2) drone that failed and have landed in an isolated area.

Nice test. I appreciate that you were willing to "stress test" yours so we do not have to. I appreciate that because this is a test I would have eventually conducted myself out of utter curiosity.:D
I am curious, maybe I missed it, but what is your elevation above sea level, also what was the temp and humidity at time of test, if you happened to have recorded those?
Thank you again for your efforts.:)

Why not test using water in that water bottle? 1ml of water = 1g so you can get a really accurate idea of how much weight it can lift.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143