DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 3 Unknown Crash

It's the mini 3, so the camera can go into "TikTok mode" (vertical video mode) as I like to call it. The camera was also pointed down, so it would be hard to tell. Take a look at the drone's flight direction in the video, vs the direction of the drone's orientation in the flight log.
The camera rotates 90 degrees, not 180 degrees, between the normal horizontal shooting mode and vertical shooting mode. And the drone's processor adjusts the image to maintain an realistic view in the camera.

The camera rotates 90 degrees, not 180 degrees, between the normal horizontal shooting mode and vertical shooting mode. And the drone's processor adjusts the image to maintain an realistic view in the camera.
Sorry...I misunderstood. I didnt mean 180 degrees. Although I still question if that's what happened. Because the flight log shows the drone flying backwards and to the left, a few seconds after the motor error, whereas the video from the drone's camera shows the drone flying forward and to the right.

Sorry...I misunderstood. I didnt mean 180 degrees. Although I still question if that's what happened. Because the flight log shows the drone flying backwards and to the left, a few seconds after the motor error, whereas the video from the drone's camera shows the drone flying forward and to the right.

Try turning the drone and controller on, without the props spinning, and walk around with the drone in your hand. Experiment with horizontal vs vertical mode while the camera is pointed downward. I think you'll see that the camera view accurately shows the direction of motion in all cases.

Yes, I know that, I think it got messed up with the initial motor error, with the gimbal uncommandedly turning from the frantic movements caused by the loss of thrust, (however that happened). So the gimbal rotated, 90 degrees, (somewhere around there) without the drone correcting the image, as it never switched to TikTok mode. This is just my speculation, and it could've happened some other way. Either way, I'm just glad it survived however it crashed.

Last edited:
Yes, I know that, I think it got messed up with the initial motor error, with the gimbal uncommandedly turning from the frantic movements caused by the loss of thrust, (however that happened). So the gimbal rotated, 90 degrees, (somewhere around there) without the drone correcting the image, as it never switched to TikTok mode. This is just my speculation, and it could've happened some other way. Either way, I'm just glad it survived however it crashed.

A motor error would not cause the drone's processor and camera to get "messed up" and change the way the camera imagery is processed and presented on the screen.

A motor error would not cause the drone's processor and camera to get "messed up" and change the way the camera imagery is processed and presented on the screen.
No, i mean the error from the loss of thrust caused the drone to rapidly do an uncommanded pitch to the right so far, that it went out of the gimbals range of motion. Just like if you shake a gimbal enough, it will go out of wack, sometimes not returning to its original position. (I own a dji pocket 2 and have done that before.) I dont mean, that the motor error caused an error on the processor or anything like that. I might also be inclined to think that the mini 3 series might be more susceptible to gimbal shake, because i have a friend who owns a mini 3 pro, and both of us have had gimbal stability issues in the past. (I. E. taking a long exposure photo, only to have it blurred by the gimbal moving while shot was being taken.) This would also explain why it looked like the drone tumbled for a second on my phone screen right after the motor prompt. Unfortunately i wasn't recording when that happened so i cant show it.

i have a friend who owns a mini 3 pro, and both of us have had gimbal stability issues in the past. (I. E. taking a long exposure photo, only to have it blurred by the gimbal moving while shot was being taken.)
Blurring of long-exposure photos is more likely due to the drone movement rather than gimbal instability.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Madejow95