DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 3 with DJI Screen RC and Litchi

od01172

Reactions
Hello all,

It has been around 3 years since I lost my DJI Mini 1 in a swamp and I am just getting back into the hobby after purchasing a Mini 3 (non pro) with the DJI RC w/ screen.

I understand that the DJI Fly app is built into the controller and does not require a smart phone to be connected. My question is, assuming Litchi releases support for the mini 3, will there be anyway to use the Litchi app on my smart phone in conjunction with the DJI Fly app built into the controller? It is my understanding you cannot directly download the Litchi app on the non-pro screen controllers, it is locked into running the Fly app. Will Litchi really only work if I have the non-screen controller, since it doesn’t have the Fly app built in? Seems kinda backwards to me considering the controller I bought is more expensive then the very basic one.

I apologize if this sounds confusing, its been a while since I flew and I feel like some things have changed since I last touched flying. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

My question is, assuming Litchi releases support for the mini 3, will there be anyway to use the Litchi app on my smart phone in conjunction with the DJI Fly app built into the controller?
No.

It is my understanding you cannot directly download the Litchi app on the non-pro screen controllers, it is locked into running the Fly app.
That is correct. Unless it is hacked, the DJI RC cannot have additional apps, such as Litchi installed on it.
Will Litchi really only work if I have the non-screen controller, since it doesn’t have the Fly app built in?
Yes. In order to use Litchi with the Mini 3, you will need to have the DJI RC-N1 (standard) controller and an Android-based phone/tablet.

Additionally, since the Mini 3 is supported with the newer MSDKv5, Litchi is working on a new app called "Litchi Pilot" that is currently in beta. The original Litchi app will not work with the Mini 3.

No.

That is correct. Unless it is hacked, the DJI RC cannot have additional apps, such as Litchi installed on it.

Yes. In order to use Litchi with the Mini 3, you will need to have the DJI RC-N1 (standard) controller and an Android-based phone/tablet.

Additionally, since the Mini 3 is supported with the newer MSDKv5, Litchi is working on a new app called "Litchi Pilot" that is currently in beta. The original Litchi app will not work with the Mini 3.
RIP! That seems so backwards to me, but it is what it is. Thank you for the prompt reply.

Reactions: Jurgen
...and Litchi Pilot has a loooooooonnnnnnng way to go if you're expecting Litchi App functionality.

My suspicion is Litchi Pilot will remain limited compared to Litchi, and the latter be retargeted at the top end of Consumer drones and the Enterprise segment.

...and Litchi Pilot has a loooooooonnnnnnng way to go if you're expecting Litchi App functionality.

My suspicion is Litchi Pilot will remain limited compared to Litchi, and the latter be retargeted at the top end of Consumer drones and the Enterprise segment.
Reading between the lines here, should a guy with a Mini3 Pro wanting to do mapping/ waypoint flight just bite the bullet and go with Dronelink? Sounds like this is going to be a long time coming, if at all.

My hesitation with Dronelink is their basemaps are not Google maps and as I understand ( correct me if I'm wrong) won't work without an internet connection.

The main shortcoming is the Virtual Stick SDK implementation on the mini 3. This means all the control inputs come from the Litchi program through the RC, rather than the flight plan being uploaded to the drone and executed on board.

I've been very, very disappointed with this mode of operation in Litchi Pilot, experienced delays in execution with weak signal, and other issues. Seems like this would be a problem with mapping.

For the kind of precision and reliability I think you need an Air 3 with built-in waypoint missions is a better choice. If you need sub 250g, the Mini Pro 4 will do it too.

@Droning on and on... Thank you for the insight. While I appreciate the Air 3 recommendation, not wanting to take a loss on my M3P and start over, I'll probably just go the Dronelink route as it's available now and waiting for Litchi support could be a long time, if at all.

No problem 🙂 Just want to make sure you understand Dronelink will have the same issues as Litchi Pilot. The SDK comes from DJI, anyone writing an app to control the Mini 3 uses the same SDK to interface with the drone and will have to use the Virtual Stick method of controlling it.

With Dronelink or Litchi Pilot on the Mini 3, your best bet is to have clear line-of-sight between the RC and the drone at all times while the mission is executing, and probably stay within 1000' to keep the signal strong (FCC – CE folks 200m).

If you have a bigger mission, try to break it up.

Reactions: JDubyaM
I got it installed through the amazon appstore. Does not recognize the drone.

On their site it says that the smart rc will not be supported as you can't install apps on it, which is true, unless you hack the rc.

The new app can't be installed as it's not in the appstore

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas