DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

dji mini 3, your wishes

Offline programmable waypoints handled by the drone SDK software/firmware are a hugh game changer which absence today makes the Minis still inferior to others on the market. Same functionality offered by others like Litchi is not equivalent since in case of problems the drone is not autonomous.

Reactions: Hauptmann
I just got my Mini 2 so I’m still well within the honeymoon phase. The only ding I have, and this is total ”whining on the yacht” here, would be higher fps, even if only at 1080. 120 would be really nice to have.

249g is a good approach to fly with minimal restrictions. But some additional small enhancements would give more freedom:

- less noisy (stealth!) propellers.

- Show optional/additional the old navigation arrow in the lower middle again to better hold the controller into the correct direction. The new aircraft orientation display in the lower left is nice to 'see' wind and gusts, but the small blue triangle is far too small for smartphones with high resolution. Especially flying with the map in the lower left gives no information how to hold the controller.

- Bracket for ND filters / own filter system. Fitting to the gimbal without overloading the gimbal servo.
Filters could be easily cleansed in case of accidential fingerprints or dust.

- Then the light sensitivity of the camera could be massive enhanced for night flights (Flying with ND filter by day light and without filter at night)

- Some integrated typical real flash lights (can be switched off) for night flights.

- Any electrical addon needs extra batteries, which increase the weight.
Could it be possible to integrate any plug/interface to 5V (with fuse for 200mA..500mA) or so?

- Do not exceed the maximum speed! It should be limited to 19 m/s as for the european drone rules. Any stronger motors need more energy and bigger batteries.

- Allow single snapshots (raw mode) while recording videos.

I think that the fimi x8 mini will be a big competition for the mini 2, which comes out on April 6. With 31 min. flight, 250 g. 8 km distance, follow me, active track and the price of 300 €, if dji does not release dji mini 3 with improved features and better price.

Controlled from your mobile device without additional controller would be amazing!
That would be wifi then, and the reach will be much more limited. My M1P can do that (you can select on the drone to use remote or direct wifi from phone) but never used it.

the fimi x8 mini will be a big competition for the mini 2,
I think, when equipped with the "Pro battery"(brings weight down to 245gms), it could very definitely be a strong competitor to the Mini 2. This assumes the camera and gimbal are near equals to the Mini 2. As the X8 Mini adds many of the flight modes that the Mini 2 dismisses, it has piqued my interest.

Unfortunately for Fimi, the detractors for the X8 Mini will include lack of availability of reasonably priced spare parts, aftermarket accessories and a DJI type care plan that is as liberal with replacement Fimi Minis as the DJI Care plan seems to be with Mini 2s. Also missing will be the crash diagnostics that come from DJI and the Mini 2's community.
If Fimi can do it and sell it for $150 less than a comparably equipped Mini 2, I'll take the chance on it. Too bad for Fimi that that price is unlikely. They must also apply for and receive the certifications from the various regulating authorities, such as, FCC. To operate one in the US without that certification would be unlawful. Users could suffer steep fines, confiscation of properety(AC) or possible loss of liberty. So potential buyers should beware.

If you want to compete with a long established market leader, in anything but a trivial way, you must offer.... A better value, a better product, or better reliability and support longevity. Many of the types of companies like Fimi, seem to prefer to make, not support their products for any length of time.
Time will tell, but I will not be holding my breath.

Oh, I'm gonna wait until the DJI Mini 23C is released. Can't wait... Here are the highlights:
  1. Remote built into your own hand with AR, 3D and 5th dimension view of the flight
  2. Three weeks flight time on one nuclear powered battery and instant wireless recharging from nearby powerlines
  3. So many sensors it looks like a Disco Mirror Ball
  4. 152 Giga pixels photo sensors
  5. 1000X Optical Zoom
  6. Weight under 200 grams
  7. 800K video
  8. Eight Anti Gravity Nacelles instead of props
  9. Foldable to fit in my wallet
  10. Eternal service plan
Or maybe I should consentrate on flying my lovely Mini 2 for the time being, at least for a couple of months before wondering what's next from DJI? Yes, I will definitely do that...

Last edited:
Oh, I'm gonna wait until the DJI Mini 23C is released. Can't wait... Here are the highlights:
  1. Remote built into your own hand with AR, 3D and 5th dimension view of the flight
  2. Three weeks flight time on one nuclear powered battery and instant wireless recharging from nearby powerlines
  3. So many sensors it looks like a Disco Mirror Ball
  4. 152 Giga pixels sensors
  5. 1000X Optical Zoom
  6. Weight under 200 grams
  7. 800K video
  8. 8Eight Anti Gravity Nacelles instead of props
  9. Foldable to fit in my wallet
  10. Eternal service plan
Or maybe I should consentrate on flying my lovely Mini 2 for the time being, at least for a couple of months before wondering what's next from DJI? Yes, I will definitely do that...
i think it was best for you to stay on the DJI Mavic mini for another 10 years or forever.

I would like Active Track, the ability to take photos while recording video, and an option for the AC to "Return To Controller" or last known controller location in case of a disconnect.

I wish that they don't bring out a Mini 3 for a long time to come so I can continue to enjoy my Mini 2, avoid getting upgrade-itis, and avoid spending more money.

Personally I would prefer shorter flight time from a smaller lighter battery and the saved weight being put towards obstacle avoidance sensors.

We're happy with the Mini 2. Yes, it lacks the D-Cinelike that we have on the P4P+ - and it doesn't come with that great built-in ultra bright screen. But we knew that before getting it as a second drone. It would have to be a massive step forward in technology for us to be interested in another drone, whether Mini 3 or whatever.

A drone is a drone. The main point is what you do with it. And that's a matter of using your brain.
This!
I some times think people want something that does all of the work - where’s the fun in that?

Coming from the original mini, the mini 2 is noticeably quieter to the point where at 120m up its almost un-noticeabl. This makes flying it in areas with people nearby much easier, or at least in the sense that I feel a lot less like everyone can hear it and instantly hate you. That said, for the mini 3 to get even quieter or better still ‘silent’ would be amazing.

Then as someone who primarily takes photos rather than videos, improvements in that area would be next for me, better sensor? Second sensor for smartphone style ‘zoom’ capability? Smart processing e.g. iPhone style pre-bracketed raw files / AI onboard enhancements from multiple shots? Better dynamic range etc.

I know there are bigger and better drones that do that but with the additional freedoms offered under that magical 250g mark I don’t think I’d ever even consider a bigger drone unless the laws change (once there are delivery drones flying around everywhere anyway?)

Active tracking for the few times I do use video would be good, sensors too, but if foregoing those for a better camera was the choice, that’s the one I’d opt for every time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis