DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI mini fell off on Cliff of Moher Ireland. Any idea how to lift it up?

It seems to be too far for that, but possible. I would venture a guess that the easiest way would be from below, taking a boat there. I will be up there in the next couple of weeks and I'll see if I can do anything about it. Hopefully at least save your SD card, the drone is probably toast already with all the rain.
The drone is about 30-40 above sea cost. But any help would be much appreciated!

View attachment 169828
Did it land on a rock? Those coordinates are where the pin is. Is it low close to the water?

Maybe a fishing line could hoist it up, but if it is closer to the water, I would think someone on a boat could get close and retrieve it.
There is a random picture of the Cliff of Moher. Just want to show the geography. The dron has landed on a such ledge 2m from the rock on the middle of such ledge. I marked with red color.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231103_163132_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20231103_163132_YouTube.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
I would hate to say, most likely a lost cause. I live next to the Grand Canyon. We have an extraordinary number of people fall into the canyon, usually in the process of taking a selfie. It has become one of the leading ways to die in Northern Arizona. So much so that the Sheriff's rescue unit went to recover a body of a selfie taker, only to discover it had landed in the pile of bones of another selfie taker from a few years earlier, unreported. The are quite a few bodies that they will not attempt to recover as there is little point to risking life & limb to recover a dead body in a perilous location. It is much the same with your drone. I did search and rescue for a few years when I was younger. We practiced repelling down sea cliffs. It is very dangerous due to loose rocks and poor areas to secure the line to. We stopped practicing on those locations due to the risk.

Drones are slippery, getting a purchase that will endure the hoist up the long cliff would be very tricky. Picking it up, even with one of the claw devices is a challenge. Think of the IT crowd episode where Moss tries to get an iPhone out of the claw machine. It is not only that the claw has to get a decent purchase, but hang on in the wind blast and not drop it again. I have picked up aircraft with a helicopter, it is challenging even with a ground crew and straps.

Don't risk a life over a drone. Pics are priceless, but perhaps that is why we have a built in memory, harder to share, but worked quite well for millenniums around campfires.

I would hate to say, most likely a lost cause. I live next to the Grand Canyon. We have an extraordinary number of people fall into the canyon, usually in the process of taking a selfie. It has become one of the leading ways to die in Northern Arizona. So much so that the Sheriff's rescue unit went to recover a body of a selfie taker, only to discover it had landed in the pile of bones of another selfie taker from a few years earlier, unreported. The are quite a few bodies that they will not attempt to recover as there is little point to risking life & limb to recover a dead body in a perilous location. It is much the same with your drone. I did search and rescue for a few years when I was younger. We practiced repelling down sea cliffs. It is very dangerous due to loose rocks and poor areas to secure the line to. We stopped practicing on those locations due to the risk.

Drones are slippery, getting a purchase that will endure the hoist up the long cliff would be very tricky. Picking it up, even with one of the claw devices is a challenge. Think of the IT crowd episode where Moss tries to get an iPhone out of the claw machine. It is not only that the claw has to get a decent purchase, but hang on in the wind blast and not drop it again. I have picked up aircraft with a helicopter, it is challenging even with a ground crew and straps.

Don't risk a life over a drone. Pics are priceless, but perhaps that is why we have a built in memory, harder to share, but worked quite well for millenniums around campfires.
Maybe you are right pal!

I think that's possible. However, the "fishing" person need to sit on the cliff edge. That's dangerous.
That's why I'm thinking better go from the water. If it's not too high up.

Reactions: us_alfie
I was just on the Cliff edge. The drone flew a meter from me and started falling
Post the flight log, if it literally fell for no reason and is under a year old you may have a warranty claim, that assumes it wasn't a prop loss or bird strike etc..
That said if the south has had the recent gales then it may have been blown off the ledge by now.

Reactions: Mynah and us_alfie
Post the flight log, if it literally fell for no reason and is under a year old you may have a warranty claim, that assumes it wasn't a prop loss or bird strike etc..
That said if the south has had the recent gales then it may have been blown off the ledge by now.
One thing I always do is swap out SD cards whenever I swap out the batteries and I unload the SD cards before putting it in again. I have a card reader for my phone and on the laptop for that purpose. I know it won't help now but maybe for the future.

I'll check Youtube how to get flight logs and post them.

One thing I always do is swap out SD cards whenever I swap out the batteries and I unload the SD cards before putting it in again. I have a card reader for my phone and on the laptop for that purpose. I know it won't help now but maybe for the future.
That's a good one. Moreover, if I had had additional SD in my RC I would have transferred all videos to the RC. The drone had 70% battery. Some stuff we need to learn from our mistakes.

Reactions: aeciolemos
I'll check Youtube how to get flight logs and post them.

No need to search YouTube.

Follow the instructions from the site provided and copy / paste a link of your log back here for the guru's to decipher.

Good luck.

I got the last one. Please take a look:

Last edited:
Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud

To follow up on a lot of the comments made, those cliffs are extraordinarily dangerous, and to risk a life for a drone is quite the stretch. I walk the Cliffs anytime I'm out West, and sometimes even walking them can be a recipe for disaster. I do a lot of cinematic drone videos in Ireland, and due to to the NFZ at the cliifs of Mother, I've never flown there.

The problem with reading your flight data is that we can't tell where you launch from because you were impatient and started flying before the drone had a chance to get proper GPS reception and record a home point where you launched.

You launched with no sats at alland climbed to 30 feet.
At 17.3 seconds you started flying away from the launch point.
The drone still didn't have any location data.
So we have no speed or distance data to be able to tell how far you flew from the launch point or how close the launch point was to the cliff edge.
At 20.3 seconds, the drone acquired GPS data and recorded a homepoint where the drone was at that time.

Towards the end of your flight at 7:27, you brought the drone in to 28 feet from where the home point was recorded.
The VPS records the drone hovering 6 feet above the ground at that point.
You left it hovering for about 40 seconds and at 8:05.7, with the drone facing east, you pulled the right stick fully back and held it.
The joystick input caused the drone to fly 39 feet backwards before the flight data ends at 8:08.0.
This explains how the drone came to fly out over the cliff, but not how it came to fall or descend after that.

I have some concern that in the last line of the csv the column entitled OSD.isMotorOn switched from True to False and OSD.height [ft] goes to zero with the drone in mid air.
That is usually an indication that the motors have stopped, this is not an unknown problem with the Mini 3 Pro though it has been a while since I have seen a "fell from the sky thread".

If you HAVE NOT sync'ed your logs with DJI then, in the folder where you found this flight log, there is a folder named MCDatFlightrecords. In that folder you should find a file whose name contains "FLY038.DAT".
Can you upload that file to here or a file hosting site and post the URL of the file's webpage here.
If you have synced then the DAT has probably been deleted.

If @Meta4, @slup and @sar104 will have a look at the end of the flight you might have grounds for a warranty claim with DJI.
How old is was the drone and where did you buy it?

I have some concern that in the last line of the csv the column entitled OSD.isMotorOn switched from True to False and OSD.height [ft] goes to zero with the drone in mid air.
That is usually an indication that the motors have stopped, this is not an unknown problem with the Mini 3 Pro though it has been a while since I have seen a "fell from the sky thread".

If you HAVE NOT sync'ed your logs with DJI then, in the folder where you found this flight log, there is a folder named MCDatFlightrecords. In that folder you should find a file whose name contains "FLY038.DAT".
Can you upload that file to here or a file hosting site and post the URL of the file's webpage here.
If you have synced then the DAT has probably been deleted.

If @Meta4, @slup and @sar104 will have a look at the end of the flight you might have grounds for a warranty claim with DJI.
How old is was the drone and where did you buy it?
The mystery continues.

At the very end full negative throttle was applied. I suspect this had a lot to do with the descent. It's a bit unclear though. When full negative throttle was applied at 487.3 the Mini 3 did not immediately start its descent. The height data remained constant and the vertical velocity data was 0.0.
1699108945049.png
When full negative throttle is applied close to the ground DJI platforms will hesitate for a second or two and then gradually descend. In this incident only the hesitation phase was recorded before the .txt ended. It's significant that OSD.isMotorOn switched from True to False at the very end.

The .DAT would provide the data to determine if this is what happened.

At the very end full negative throttle was applied. I suspect this had a lot to do with the descent. It's a bit unclear though. When full negative throttle was applied at 487.3 the Mini 3 did not immediately start its descent. The height data remained constant and the vertical velocity data was 0.0.
View attachment 169871
When full negative throttle is applied close to the ground DJI platforms will hesitate for a second or two and then gradually descend. In this incident only the hesitation phase was recorded before the .txt ended. It's significant that OSD.isMotorOn switched from True to False at the very end.

The .DAT would provide the data to determine if this is what happened.
This is what I love about you guys, you're always willing to help 👍

View attachment 169828
Did it land on a rock? Those coordinates are where the pin is. Is it low close to the water?

Maybe a fishing line could hoist it up, but if it is closer to the water, I would think someone on a boat could get close and retrieve it.
Hi @us_alfie ,
I am sorry to say that I could not see your drone there. I went to Cork on Friday and I went out to the spot you sent in the coordinates. I am guessing with all the storms we have had lately, it has been washed away. I have a friend that has a boat and often goes around that area and I have asked him to take a look, but I am afraid it might be too late for the drone and the SD card. If I have any updates from him, I'll let you know.

Hi @us_alfie ,
I am sorry to say that I could not see your drone there. I went to Cork on Friday and I went out to the spot you sent in the coordinates. I am guessing with all the storms we have had lately, it has been washed away. I have a friend that has a boat and often goes around that area and I have asked him to take a look, but I am afraid it might be too late for the drone and the SD card. If I have any updates from him, I'll let you know.
Fair play for having a look

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_