DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI official Mavic sun hood

I have the DJI hood, got it today. I flew with it once and got several "lost connection" errors for a second or 2 each, at only about 50 ft up and 20-30 ft out.. I flew without it further and higher and did not get a single issue. I will give it one more shot in case it was an anomaly but not impressed so far.

did anyone get the DJI hood yet? i cant seem to find it in the usa. maybe have to order it from china. I use a 7" tablet that fits in the stock mavic controller arms and cant seem to find anything else that will work.

I have the DJI hood. I use a I pad mini and the guard is not big enough but will probably work good with a phone

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

did anyone get the DJI hood yet? i cant seem to find it in the usa. maybe have to order it from china. I use a 7" tablet that fits in the stock mavic controller arms and cant seem to find anything else that will work.
I have it but haven't flown with it yet.

Large-Umbrella-Hat.jpg

This is the only thing i can come up with that will work with a tablet with the mavic rc., going to island for vacation and sun is bright. might have to try and make something.

I have the DJI hood, got it today. I flew with it once and got several "lost connection" errors for a second or 2 each, at only about 50 ft up and 20-30 ft out.. I flew without it further and higher and did not get a single issue. I will give it one more shot in case it was an anomaly but not impressed so far.

Have you tried using it again? I have one on order and have been told by DJI support that it should not have an impact on connection. Looking to hear the outcome of your second test.

I am actually about to head out and do some testing shortly. I will have an update for you in a couple of hours.

FYI for all those interested, I just did a few more flights and did not notice any issues with signal loss. The issue I saw the other day must have been some anomaly. Today I did the exact same flight twice, one with the shield and one without. In both cases I did not get any signal losses and the logs show there were acceptable levels of signal errors so I suspect there were other environmental issues at the time I saw the errors. Below is a screenshot of the errors I saw the other day and also a screenshot from 1 of todays flights. All of the flights were in the same location so it must have been some other environmental issue that was causing the errors...

Errors1.PNG Errors2.PNG

Last edited:
Post some pics of it if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Pics of what? Do you want pics of the installed shield? I did not take any videos or pics while I was flying as it was just a short flight to do this testing. I can post pics of the shield installed on my controller if you are interested in seeing that.

Pics of what? Do you want pics of the installed shield? I did not take any videos or pics while I was flying as it was just a short flight to do this testing. I can post pics of the shield installed on my controller if you are interested in seeing that.

Yes just some pics of the hood on the remote. DJI's pics are just basic. Thanks.

Yes just some pics of the hood on the remote. DJI's pics are just basic. Thanks.

Here you go, front and back with it on the controller and also some shots of it by itself unfolded and one slightly folded so you can see the velcro spots where it holds together, it folds up mostly flat and it about 1/2 inch thick when folded (since the antenna slots do not fold in any way).

MavicController_withHood_front.jpg MavicController_withHood_back.jpg MavicControllerHood_unfolded.jpg MavicControllerHood_folded.jpg

Looks good. In your opinion is it worth getting?

My honest opinion is that it is barely worth the $20 they charge, but if you often fly on sunny days then it may be well worth it, I have yet to see how much i will use it so it is hard to say if it was worth it but my guess is there will come a time when I need a sun shield and it will come in handy. It does seem to be well constructed out of a fake leather material, the stitching seems to be good so it doesn't look like it will fall apart unless abused.

Reactions: Brianna
It's just an umbrella for the controller, doesn't shade the phone much at all.
Well, that depends on the angle you are holding the controller and the angle of the sun relative to your ground station. But yes, it can be useless on the phone/tablet if you are holding the controller at probably less than a 45 degree angle from flat and sun is right above you, especially if you have a larger tablet instead of a phone. To be fair they did design the controller to be used primarily with a phone rather than a tablet, even though we have gotten some tablets to fit. I don't see how some people put a tablet in portrait orientation and use it that way.

Reactions: SussexBedouin
Well, that depends on the angle you are holding the controller and the angle of the sun relative to your ground station. But yes, it can be useless on the phone/tablet if you are holding the controller at probably less than a 45 degree angle from flat and sun is right above you, especially if you have a larger tablet instead of a phone. To be fair they did design the controller to be used primarily with a phone rather than a tablet, even though we have gotten some tablets to fit. I don't see how some people put a tablet in portrait orientation and use it that way.
I know what you mean about portrait mode, I use an iPad Air2 on a MavMount and it works fine. I tried having the tablet both above, and below the controller, both have pro's and con's, Above is easier to see and more like the Phantom controller, but blocks the controller LCD screen, but truth be told there is not any info on that screen that isn't on the much larger tablet , and I have trouble finding info quickly on the crowded LCD. With the tablet below the controller it is better balanced and the bottom of the tablet can rest on you forearms and you can still reach and see the controller screen no problem. My sunhood fits on in both orientations but has more adjustment options when above the controller. The last thing is a neck strap will only work well in the upper position, it cuts right thru the middle of the screen in the lower, and after 4 or 5 batteries a neck strap is nice to have. The entire setup is still lighter than the P3 controller, FPV antenna's, and tablet was.

where did you buy it, i can only find it from dji in china. is there a part number that can help my search?

I bought it via the DJI website, they have it listed under "Mavic Accessories". I do think it is shipped from China, I got mine in about 2 weeks after ordering.

I just ordered one, I hope its big enough to shade my 8" samsung tablet. also is there a magnet that holds the top flap when you fold it back like in the picture? i dont see any velco?
large_4d439989-5ada-4eba-ac52-eda2520d1b51.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos