DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI officially confirms - no plans for waypoints and dual control...

zeusfl

Mavic Pilot Guru
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
youtube.com
Just passing the information to our forum.

DJI has officially confirmed to youtuber "DC Rainmaker" that contrary to several missing features that are planned to be added via firmware update in January - there are no plans to add Waypoints to M3, and there are no plans to allow dual control on M3.
Strange that features that were present in previous versions are deleted for good.

Then again, after the smart controller debacle, why should we be surprised...

source: DJI officially confirms - no plans for waypoints and dual control...

Just passing the information to our forum.

DJI has officially confirmed to youtuber "DC Rainmaker" that contrary to several missing features that are planned to be added via firmware update in January - there are no plans to add Waypoints to M3, and there are no plans to allow dual control on M3.
Strange that features that were present in previous versions are deleted for good.

Then again, after the smart controller debacle, why should we be surprised...

source: DJI officially confirms - no plans for waypoints and dual control...
Very discouraging news.

Could waypoints be a legal issue? A 30-35 minute battery would allow some flights WELL BVLOS.
Those doing mapping would love to see flight times approach 60 minutes if not more. Waypoints do not necessarily mean BVLOS. That is something that seems to occur with or without waypoints.

Just sounds like a hobbled system that costs too much money for what you are getting. If the SDK was released along with the system it might be a different story. At least third parties would be able to supplement the usability of the system.

I’m starting to think I would like to fork out $3000 for the privilege of being a Mavic 3 beta tester. NOT!

Those doing mapping would love to see flight times approach 60 minutes if not more. Waypoints do not necessarily mean BVLOS. That is something that seems to occur with or without waypoints.

Just sounds like a hobbled system that costs too much money for what you are getting. If the SDK was released along with the system it might be a different story. At least third parties would be able to supplement the usability of the system.

I’m starting to think I would like to fork out $3000 for the privilege of being a Mavic 3 beta tester. NOT!
I aggre with this.

My first gen m1p has waypoints. why cant the m3p?
according to people the m3p lacks a lot of stuff temporarily. i feel like thats the reason people already have issues. im sticking to my m1p

Happy that I didn’t participate in this particular DJI event.
M2pro and Zoom live on !
Yeah! m1p too, right?

Lol, This could be all about the Tone of the news Brought forward, meaning that obviously there Scrambling over there in china land to get the software written by January let alone Way points , it will come just not in timely fashion.

We must keep defending the Faith. :p

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Water, Capture the Storm and PRAY for DJI to come out of this alive.

Last edited:
Reactions: waternut13134
Lol, This could be all about the Tone of the news Brought forward, meaning that obviously there Scrambling over there in china land to get the software written by January let alone Way points , it will come just not in timely fashion.

We must keep defending the Faith.
Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Water, Capture the Storm and PRAY for DJI come out of this alive.
Ill keep my faith but its running thin.

I guess this drone will never support mapping. It is more of a drone for youtube influencers so they have something to talk about and review. For serious film guys it will alwasy be Inspire and above. YT doesn't need pro res at all, M2P was overkill for YT.
I wonder what was the intended audience for this drone.

Reactions: Korrd
DJI reminds me of TSLA Stock, with Self Sabotage, news spreads of bad news , than Rockets to new highs . Imagine if the Mavic 3 becomes the most disappointing drone ever released and how the media would spread , and than XMAS day they release the Software that blows us all away.

HEY , I can believe that DJI is Santa if I want to. 🤪 DJI would become LEGEND once again and that drone would sell out , but by than they will have a lot more in stock. Just saying ,,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly to the North Pole.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Water, Capture the Storm and PRAY for DJI to come out of this alive.
Might just be like when the Mavic 2 launched, Waypoints only came out 6 months after the drone hit the market.

Might just be like when the Mavic 2 launched, Waypoints only came out 6 months after the drone hit the market.
Still we had the SDK and Litchi came pretty fast (not saying it's perfect or so but at least we had some encouragement).
What a poor and shameful communication and practice from DJI if it turns out that way.

But some people buying the M3 anyway and still defend the catches. 😆
Cannot understand why having such a good hardware platform leads to such software disregard.

100% why I have not sold my MP2 ( and never will now ) is for this very announcement, DJI are becoming very unreliable in the background software/firmware stages, the time difference between the MP2 and M3 is the largest of any of their model releases and yet the software is still miles behind, bar the extra battery time there really is nothing much about the M3 that gets me excited enough to buy it, the extra large (fragile) looking camera that sticks out the front doesn't exactly inspire me either, today is the day when UK stock shows as actually in stock for this model, it can stay there as far as I am concerned.

100% why I have not sold my MP2 ( and never will now ) is for this very announcement, DJI are becoming very unreliable in the background software/firmware stages, the time difference between the MP2 and M3 is the largest of any of their model releases and yet the software is still miles behind, bar the extra battery time there really is nothing much about the M3 that gets me excited enough to buy it, the extra large (fragile) looking camera that sticks out the front doesn't exactly inspire me either, today is the day when UK stock shows as actually in stock for this model, it can stay there as far as I am concerned.
I do have to admit the Camera sticking out is going to cause a lot of Grief, and take a lot of abuse in flying in Extreme Weather . This point cannot be ignored, its not something a Software update can fix but maybe a Third Party can ease that pain.

Phatnomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the rain. .

Phantomrain.org
Why release a product that has so many things unfinished and not be clear about what will be added at a later date. I call foul!

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
There are just so many Business reasons why they needed to do this:
#1: Beat the Evo 3 Release
#2: Not worry about shipping Restrictions do to Covid spreading again..
#3: So many ports with containers going nowhere and xmas coming to bring it to a halt again.
#4: A bird in the hand is better than waiting for a cage. lol something like that.
#5: Slow down the number of sales , until they can once again meet full supply for order flow.
#6: Apple was the first to pull this stunt and there students of Apple , lol
#7: My favorite : Allow third Party makers a jump start for when the avalanche begins. :cool:
#8: Test the water with the Cine to see how they should set supply markers
#9: Create a whirlwind of Media before releasing the Fireworks and there sold out .
10: I would not be surprised if we get the update a lot sooner than January as Xmas is just to big of a bundle of cash to pass up even for DJI .
11: If the software is not everything it needs to be , the Return of the Mavic 3 will make national headlines. lol
12: Yep , other I am sure have some ideas also.

Defender of the DJI universe
Phantomrain.org

I have to agree with other posters on here somewhere. I don't understand the x-mas connection? Do you really think people are gifting Mavic 3s in the thousands to their kids and spouses? I just don't see that happening, but I could be very wrong of course.
(If that's the case, we can safely assume its a Magic 3, not a PRO. Intended for recreational, albeit wealthy users)

Reactions: thispilothere
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez