DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Proposes a safety quiz - Canada and USA

I think DJI is getting a little too big for their britches.

Reactions: RC5728
Today we are November 3. The release is dated November 7, 2017 - interesting.

DJI already put the knowledge quiz in the GO vers. 3.1.22 for the Inspire 1, Phantom 3 series. It‘s only a question of time when this will also be installed into GO4.

DJI already put the knowledge quiz in the GO vers. 3.1.22 for the Inspire 1, Phantom 3 series. It‘s only a question of time when this will also be installed into GO4.
So you need to buy their drone before you take the test that determines if they'll allow you to fly it?

I welcome it based on the stupidity seen within 5 minutes of browsing YouTube.

Yes everything should be controlled.
Let's stomp down anything we don't like or think is stupid.
End this stupid "Freedom" thing!

Reactions: erkme73
I welcome it based on the stupidity seen within 5 minutes of browsing YouTube.

So very true, and even though it is a minority (I hope) doing the wrong thing, either unknowingly or knowingly), all hobbiest drone flyers will suffer it it continues.
As more drones hit the market, the problems will only get worse.

DJI does a reasonable job with trying to educate people there are rules etc, geofencing works close to airports too, but unless you find the forums such as this one, I feel there are a big number of new users that simply have NO IDEA of the restrictions and their importance for safe flying.

So very true, and even though it is a minority (I hope) doing the wrong thing, either unknowingly or knowingly), all hobbiest drone flyers will suffer it it continues.
As more drones hit the market, the problems will only get worse.

DJI does a reasonable job with trying to educate people there are rules etc, geofencing works close to airports too, but unless you find the forums such as this one, I feel there are a big number of new users that simply have NO IDEA of the restrictions and their importance for safe flying.

Even on this forum I've seen some new users come on that have absolutely no idea what's involved in reasonable operation of a drone. I think DJI probably wishes they didn't have to step in and push this, but when they see extremely restrictive laws put into place like there are in Canada, they really have no other option.

Others here will always see steps like this as an effort to control their lives or curtail their activities, but being proactive about unsafe operation is an economic imperative for DJI since they fear that without the test governments may move to outright ban drones. Canada has already shown their plan to make hobby use practically illegal since they will soon require all pilots have liability insurance, which is so far not offered by anyone and likely to be prohibitively expensive.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ and locoman
Even on this forum I've seen some new users come on that have absolutely no idea what's involved in reasonable operation of a drone. I think DJI probably wishes they didn't have to step in and push this, but when they see extremely restrictive laws put into place like there are in Canada, they really have no other option.

Others here will always see steps like this as an effort to control their lives or curtail their activities, but being proactive about unsafe operation is an economic imperative for DJI since they fear that without the test governments may move to outright ban drones. Canada has already shown their plan to make hobby use practically illegal since they will soon require all pilots have liability insurance, which is so far not offered by anyone and likely to be prohibitively expensive.

Yes, it's worrying seeing a country outright ban hobby drones, like Sweden did (then reversed the decision recently), and I see a post here that India is possibly heading towards reversing its ban on drones.

Yes, it's worrying seeing a country outright ban hobby drones, like Sweden did (then reversed the decision recently), and I see a post here that India is possibly heading towards reversing its ban on drones.
At the same time, Canada is moving to make commercial operations less cumbersome. The process as it is now is a complete pain in the a**, and one that they haven't a hope in policing. So it looks like something similar to the USA's part 107 is in the works, which should open the doors to greater development.

Ironically, one of the top commercial drone manufacturers in the world -- Aeryon Labs -- is just down the road from me, but their sales in Canada are relatively small because of the cumbersome commercial licensing set-up.

True and these idiots either :
Don‘t know the rules / regs (which can be fixed with education
or
Don’t give a stuff about the rules (which is the problem.)
Yep. But at least with a test, they couldn't claim they "didn't know".

Maybe, who knows the figures for sure, there are loads of drone manufacturers.
Hey, I’m on your side.
Those are the latest figures from the industry. Market share is not nearly so high in the commercial/business market, where the word "drone" has a much wider application.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FredFulf