DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI RC extremely unresponsive

brioni99

Reactions
I went for a flight today and had the shorten the session because the RC was barely usable. It sometimes took more than 20 seconds to register inputs such as start/stop a video, rotate gimbal, change shutter speed and exposure, etc. The flying (stick inputs) was unaffected.

Lag and unresponsiveness were the reasons why I never looked back after switching from Android phones to iPhones, and today really felt like using a bottom of the range, cheap Chinese phone. Sucking all the enjoyment out of the experience.

Now, I definitely did not have this experience when I received the drone last month. Wondering if the latest firmware update is to blame? Has anyone had the same experience with the RC?

Something is definitely wrong with your system. I have a Mini 3 and a DJI RC and I think it is the most responsive controller/drone combination I've ever owned, having now had 4 DJI drones. Definitely right up there with my Mavic 2 and standard controller which I've always thought was so much better than the cheapened RCN1 controller that are standard on DJI drones.

I agree with vindibona1. No problems at all with the controller and extremely responsive! I have done lots of low-level flights going down streams with lots of foliage and brush and it responds to my inputs immediately with no perceptible lag. This is not with stick movements but gimble and other functions as well. Maybe check with DJI to see if there is a problem with your equipment.

Thanks guys, I did a factory reset of the RC and will go on another flight today to test if it improved anything

Reactions: Siam
So, after a factory reset of the RC and some more flying tonight, I'm fairly confident to say that what causes those freezes is gimbal movement. As long as I don't move the gimbal, the RC is responsive and works as intended. However, if I moved the gimbal during the shot, the record button (both physical and on the screen) will become unresponsive for a good 10 seconds at least. I will reach out to DJI to see if anyone has reported the same problem but that just looks like a bug that could be patched through a firmware update.

Are you on recent firmware there was a period where they rather messed it up perhaps when it was first made compatible with Mavic 3.
One of the plus points of the RC is that all the different Android options in phones are not complicating things - it should just work unless there is actually a hardware issue with drone or conceivably your control sticks and wheels.
Note these can be calibrated but I wouldn't rush into that if not on latest firmware.

Reactions: brioni99
Are you on recent firmware there was a period where they rather messed it up perhaps when it was first made compatible with Mavic 3.
One of the plus points of the RC is that all the different Android options in phones are not complicating things - it should just work unless there is actually a hardware issue with drone or conceivably your control sticks and wheels.
Note these can be calibrated but I wouldn't rush into that if not on latest firmware.

When checking if firmware was up to date from the RC I was getting a Yes (for both the drone and the RC). I connected the drone to Assistant 2 and received this message: "Firmware incompatibility detected between some modules and current device. Update your firmware?". Updated through Assistant 2, then turned on the drone and recalibrated everything, and after a test flight everything seems to be alright.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fly2pro