DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI RC for mini 3 pro (the elephant in the room ?)

I know that some folks don’t believe that the internal antennas and hand proximity is an issue I can however assure you that it is.

The issue is two fold, one is “absorption” where as your body or parts of it obstruct and absorb the rf energy thus decreasing range. This happens. It is highly complex and dependant on so many variables including but not limited to the frequency, the dimensions of your body and parts there of (children are resonant at roughly twice the frequency than adults due for example lol) and even how you stand or hold your body .. i.e. do you curve your fingers around the controller or hold them straight. This affect how much of your body or limb or finger is acting as a radiator or a dielectric (antenna or absorber) and at what frequency. I’ll be honest, I went looking for some articles or studies that I could link here that would do a better and simpler job of explaining this than I can and gave up. There are plenty of articles out there but it is such a complex field that even I as a Telecommunications Technician found it heavy going. Don’t let that dissuade you doing your own research if you wish. I don’t expect anyone to just take me at my word.

Saying that proximity to your body is not relevant because mobile phones can be held up to your head with no loss of performance is disingenuous. Holding up the phone to your head most certainly does degrade radiation patterns and radiated field strength. Mobile phones vary their output based on the signal to the cell tower. When you pick it up from your desk and put it beside your head it ramps up the transmit power. Also unlike your drone where you have a direct line of transmission between the controller and aircraft the effect of multiple cell towers is more or less a “diversity array”. If putting it up to your head causes the signal to degrade enough to the tower on the other side of your head then it connects to another tower. Your drone does not have that option.

The argument about cell phone radiation safety was never about cell damage through radiation effect. Mobile phone signals like your drone are all “non ionising” radiation. It causes no cell damage as it passes through you *provided* it does pass through you. It’s when it does not pass through you and is absorbed by the tissue that the alleged damage is caused by heating to the tissue. This heating has been proven to take place in myriad studies there for the signal is to a greater or lesser degree being absorbed Q.E.D.

The other issue is the impedance of your body parts at distances less than one wavelength from the antenna (between 5 and 12cm at the frequencies we are talking about) does detune the antenna by changing it’s apparent resonant length. This makes a noticeable difference.

There are other factors I won’t even go into here such as the proximity of your hands has a tendancy to cause changes to the polarisation of the signal due to acting as radiators where not an absorber.

Once again, best advice is keep your hands as far to the rear of the controller as practicable and don’t put your fingers at the front of the controller unless required to manipulate the controls.

How much these variables actually effect the range you get to your drone is open to debate and would take equipment and testing beyond the scope of any of us here I suspect but I for one am totally satisfied that they are a factor.

Regards
Ari

Last edited:
still would like to know what the difference is in range can I go a mile with out problems 2?

I am starting this thread in response to the amount of posts on the new dji rc ,about its apparent lack of range
firstly this thread is not about VLOS and the rights and wrongs of flying BVLOS
and if it turns into a debate on that subject ,i will shut it down
the whole point of the new controller is ease of use ,and in that respect it works perfectly
if you require the drone to fly further because you can where you live ,then dont get it with the dji rc
get the dji rc-N1 version which has the antennas in the device holder or better still if you already have that rc then use that to fly your Mini 3
DJI or any drone company for that matter ,have no control over what individual countries requirements,are for radio communications ,and have to comply with those regulations ,in order to be able to sell their products
when I fly the Mini 3 pro within my visual capabilities then ,as with my original MM i do not have any signal dropouts whatsoever
the signal ranges that are quoted in the specs of any drone ,are what could be possible,
,based on the signal strength between the rc and receiver, and which frequency band is being used
in the real world , outside interference,from other RF sources, and the signal being absorbed by trees, and the affect weather conditions can have on the signal ,all play a part in how far the signal can travel
The specs for the radios are stated as EIRP which means they rated at the antenna so it doesn't matter what type of antenna they have. They are rated the same so technically speaking they're both gonna have the same results.
I just think DJI is lying about their specs. They might have changed the radios due to supply issues who knows but based on what everybody is saying they are not getting the range they expect relative to the other models.

The specs for the radios are stated as EIRP
This in itself can be misleading

“EIRP” stands for “Effective isotropic radiated power”. An isotropic antenna is a theoretical antenna than radiates equally in all directions. Sadly it does not exist. All antennas radiate differently in different directions due to manufacturing variances etc. It’s just a standard used for comparison and doesn’t take into account how any given antenna reacts to the variables I outlined earlier and different antennas can react very differently to the same variables.

That’s not to say a rating in EIRP is meaningless, it should just be taken as a guideline.

still would like to know what the difference is in range can I go a mile with out problems 2?
Wouldn’t we all and without meaning to be discouraging I don’t think there is going to be a cut and dried answer.

It’s going to be dependant on so many variables from how you hold the controller to background RF noise, terrain, height AGL etc etc

All things equal I’m sure than the RC-N1 should give better performance than the Mini 3 Pro controller. For some people depending on the above it’s going to be a large difference, for others flying off the top of a mountain remote from civilisation for example the difference may be so small that they will say ‘it made no difference to me”.

Best suggestion is if you have the standard controller and it’s sub par borrow an RC-N1 from someone with a Mini 2 or and Air 2 series and try it.

This in itself can be misleading

“EIRP” stands for “Effective isotropic radiated power”. An isotropic antenna is a theoretical antenna than radiates equally in all directions. Sadly it does not exist. All antennas radiate differently in different directions due to manufacturing variances etc. It’s just a standard used for comparison and doesn’t take into account how any given antenna reacts to the variables I outlined earlier and different antennas can react very differently to the same variables.

That’s not to say a rating in EIRP is meaningless, it should just be taken as a guideline.
All true, but a single, vertical wire comes darn close to being planar isotropic. So much so variation is hard to measure.

However, it makes a lousy, awkward antenna. Just mentioned it for the theoretical interest 🙂

All true, but a single, vertical wire comes darn close to being planar isotropic. So much so variation is hard to measure.

However, it makes a lousy, awkward antenna. Just mentioned it for the theoretical interest 🙂
All fair comment as well.

I haven’t personally taken a controller apart obviously having only looked at the pictures others have provided but I am struggling a little to determine what the actual antennas are in the controller. From what I can see it some sort of a vertical with a top hat wave guide to optimise directionality and maybe impedance but honestly unless it’s helically wound which it doesn’t appear to be it’s no more than a 1/8 wave at 5Ghz. Far less than optimal at any rate.

For those who can legally fly long range and choose to do it with a Mini 3 Pro I’d have to think that a RC-N1 controller or the mod done by some to add external antennas would be the way to go.

We have to consider the Mini3 has their antennas on the front arms, not in the legs like other DJI drones, they are positioned horizontally. I don't know how much this will affect the signal angle.
This is very true. I learned, when the drone is more far from you, the signal strength depends on the side the drone is turned towards the RC. The strongest signal you get is when it faces toward the RC with its front arms (the camera is looking at you). So the flight is safer on its way home instead of the other way.

An isotropic antenna is a theoretical antenna than radiates equally in all directions. Sadly it does not exist.
I found a design for one on the internet. Sadly, it's made of unobtainium and I couldn't get any of that ;)

I wish I could, I'd use it to build all my ham radio aerials for an extra 2.15dB gain :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31