DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI RC Versus iPhone

I recently bought the DJI RC for my Air2S and regard it as one of the better decisions that I made. The original RC with iPhone was a pain to use, mainly due to poor brightness and the glare of the iPhone screen (even with an anti-glare protector). The DJI RC is simple and quick to connect and get going and easier to operate due to the programmable switches/buttons on the RC.

I bought the Mini 3 Pro with the DJI RC and have loved it since last July. When they updated the firmware to accommodate the Air2S, it was an easy decision to buy one for that aircraft also. I had historically used an iPad (not mini) for several years with all my larger drones, but the brightness of the RC is better than any of my phones or iPads, and as others have said repeatedly, it is incredibly convenient. By that I mean it's super fast to unpack and launch. Likewise, securing all gear when the job is over could not be quicker. I pre-load maps or just use a hotspot if needed (sudden change of mission parameters) so the lack of cellular data doesn't matter. I always did LAANC via my phone anyway.

FYI, I've installed simple lanyards on the RCs and I keep them around my neck before, during, and after flights. I could not effectively do that with a tablet mounted to the RC-N1.

As someone who is flying multiple missions daily, this whole system saves me a lot of time and aggravation.

Like many other have mentioned here, the convenience factor cannot be ignored. I found a nice, small case that allows me to store the M3P, 3 batteries, and the RC with the sticks installed, and I even have the bigger sticks from Scotty Makes Stuff. I can pull over, unzip this case, and have everything ready to fly in about a minute, with no fussing around at all. It's kind of a sweet arrangement.

1674964928003.png

I found a nice, small case that allows me to store the M3P, 3 batteries, and the RC with the sticks installed
The case in the Fly-More bundle lets you do that too. I bought a Pygtech snap-on cover for the RC Controller that protects the screen and sticks, so I don't worry about a loose battery damaging the controller. (I usually don't bring my charger with me.)

Hmm, only thing I can think of is non-DJI apps like Litchi and Autopilot, useful on phones and tablets but not the DJI rc. No big deal for recreational flying.

I kind of prefer the clam shell cases, but to each their own.
I like a case I don't need to put on the ground before opening, so for me the Fly-More case is almost perfect. I can reach in and fish out what I need without taking it off or having the contents spill out (which I can't manage with clamshell cases).

I usually fly while hiking, so for me this is important. If I was flying from home (or my car) I think I'd go for a case like you have.

Hmm, only thing I can think of is non-DJI apps like Litchi and Autopilot, useful on phones and tablets but not the DJI rc. No big deal for recreational flying.
Interesting. I fly 100% Part 107 and I have switched to the DJI RC for both my primary aircraft. I haven't used Litchi in several years and for mapping apps I use RC-N1/iPad, but that's pretty rare. It has been surprising how much time it saves, and not just during flights, but when charging/moving/stowing also.

having a Mini 3 pro with the DJI RC with built in screen,for me at least here in the UK
does have one big disadvantage ,it keeps me from flying my other drones a MPP and MM
because of its weight, convenience,and extremely long and very quiet flight time
but i do try to give my trusty old MPP and the MM a go when i can
in fact as i type this now, i am charging the batteries of the MM, hoping to give it some air time tomorrow if the weather cooperates

I like a case I don't need to put on the ground before opening, so for me the Fly-More case is almost perfect. I can reach in and fish out what I need without taking it off or having the contents spill out (which I can't manage with clamshell cases).

I usually fly while hiking, so for me this is important. If I was flying from home (or my car) I think I'd go for a case like you have.
For years I used Nanuk cases but since the Air2 I have just used the Fly More soft cases for everything. If I'm working from a vehicle, I usually have 3-4 aircraft in those soft cases, all carried in a clear plastic tote with clamp-on lid. If I'm travelling by air, I have one or two in my computer bag that goes under the seat. The bags work great for the aircraft, controller, spare rotor blades, strobe, batts, charger, cables, copies of registration/certificate, and any relevant waivers. For hiking, I put one or two inside a day pack along with the usual hiking gear. It's extremely flexible and I've yet to see a downside. Hard cases are expensive, bulky, and heavy by comparison. I still have a few, but they see no use.

To me, after using both, along with over 10 years of flying experience with every type of DJI control, it’s not even a question of comparison. Just buy the DJI RC. The iPhone has so many issues against it. Mainly when it gets WARM the screen dims too much. I emphasize warm because it only takes a little warmth and the screen dims. Many refer to it as getting hot. No, just warm and it’s useless.

Interesting. I fly 100% Part 107 and I have switched to the DJI RC for both my primary aircraft. I haven't used Litchi in several years and for mapping apps I use RC-N1/iPad, but that's pretty rare. It has been surprising how much time it saves, and not just during flights, but when charging/moving/stowing also.
Curious: You don't fly just for fun?

I just upgraded from Mini 2 and I can say the RC is definitely worth it for the reasons mentioned above. I do agree with the increased screen reflectivity comment. I purchased a hood which takes care of that nicely, very happy now.
Tom

I have Air2S and considering the DJI RC...what version of the firmware do you have to have on the Air2S to work with the DJI RC?

I've had both the phone solution on my Mini 2 and the new RC controller on my Mini 3. The RC wins hands-down. Well worth the $200.

The RC records flight imagery locally. When I crashed my Mini 3, I was able to locate it using the footage stored on the RC controller's SD card.

Not sure if I could have done that on my Min 2/phone setup, but I know that I never did.

Curious: You don't fly just for fun?
No, I never fly "just for fun". I certainly enjoy flying and shooting stills and video, but every single mission is either for a client or to add to my portfolio, or perhaps to increase my skill. I will occasionally fly to test something (hardware/software/technique/etc.), but that is likewise in support of the larger purpose.

I am considering the purchase of the Mini 3. I've had the Mavic Air and now fly the Mini 2. The Mini 3 can be bought with the 'new' RC controller and is about $200 more than using the RC-N1 which is the standard remote controller. I use an iPhone 14 with the controller and am asking if the newer controller withe built in display is worth it? Is the viewing screen better? Why do you think it's better?
Get the RC controller. Forget the RC-N1, unless you want to use a tripltek tablet. Iphones can't be seen in sunlight and when they get hot the screen dims and you cant see it at all.

For my first controller, I would have gotten the RC controller instead of the RC-N1, but only chose the latter for lack of 3rd party support with the RC. (Not realizing the Mini 3 Pro SDK was not actually available yet!)

I've had in mind from the start however that I will likely end up with both, but unless you already have a bright phone or tablet to use in the RC-N1, you won't be saving any money with that option. (My phone at just over 500 nits and Active3 tablet at just under 500 constant brightness are barely adequate in bright sun.) :p

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada