DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Recommends Flying With The Bubble

And there is a fan that sucks air in through that slit. While your drone is going up to 36mph of forward motion. The more I think of it, the more I'm wondering if the dome is intended for FPV racing or similar, non-photographic use.

Bozo prize to whomever designs and comes up with a optic quality dome that incorporates a neutral density gradient.

Who's FPV racing with a quad that only goes 40mph?

Like Matt, I use the bubble when playing or exploring, but take it off for the best photography. I have never had a het issue. Best of both worlds

With your concern, when you are preparing for flying, the gimbal clamp should be removed, but if you are referring for the Camera bubble cover, we best recommend not to remove it since that will serve as a protection for the camera from water sprinkle, dust, and other objects that may hit the camera in any case during flying.

If I were to use the cover I'd first drill some additional holes into the gimbal cover on the sides so the total open area is slightly larger than the area of the intake. Especially in hotter climates.

Just another thought... Besides protecting from rain, debris, etc. wouldn't the bubble also shield the camera from shifts in wind and help create a more stable camera?

Would it not also protect the gimbal/camera when taking off/landing in grass or unlovely surfaces?

Does anyone have comparative pictures with and without the bubble?
If you're taking off from grass or sand or other unlovely surfaces, then perhaps best to use a landing pad. Got some scrap plywood in the garage? A 70 x 70 cm piece is great.

There have been some pics showing, in the right conditions, some flare in the video when the cover is installed.

The bubble isn't airtight.

Nor does it have the same opening surface area as the inlet in front of the fan. So the fan is not as effective.

Indeed, in forward flight the air flow would be pretty high into the inlet fan or no fan. The gimbal cover blocks that.

If I felt I needed the cover I'd drill holes into it on the sides until the area of "hole" in it was at least 10% more than the inlet area.

That shouldn't be an issue in most of the northern hemisphere, where it is winter. Also, there is a fan that provides air flow. If there was no gimbal cover, there would be no need for a fan....

This thing has 24 cores of processing. That alone gets hot. Add the other stuff and it gets very hot. If you must have the gimbal cover, at least drill some holes into it to increase the airflow. That heat sink gets quite hot when the machine isn't even working...

Like Matt, I use the bubble when playing or exploring, but take it off for the best photography. I have never had a het issue. Best of both worlds

You wouldn't really know if you had heat issues. Electronics die quicker as component temperature rises. Cooling is better - always. Longer life to the solid state parts.

Last edited:
That advice is for "fresh players". I'm sure there are a lot of Mavics sent in because of broken cameras due to crashes. I used the dome once and now I remove it before flying. I can see keeping it on when flying in fog/clouds or near the mist of a waterfall.

Best image will be obtained without the dome.

Just bought one of these might have to trim a little but for price can't go wrong
cbf4c454f324a64c8675335452ef2444.jpg

As a professional commercial photographer I would put a protective skylight filter on it. However, with the bubble attached and sunlight abundant the light flares on the lens are terrible and renders the footage unusable. I am surprised no one has come up with a decent "optically" clean cover with no curved glass or polycarbonate material or sorts that is lightweight and somewhat glare proof (like a lens hood)...would be useful. I did find a "optically clean" (open window - no lens) lens shade that I think will work. Has anyone used this? (similar to the one previously posted)

Amazon.com : Mavic Lens Hood Sun Shade Lens Hood Gimbal Protective Cover For DJI Mavic pro : Camera & Photo

As a professional commercial photographer I would put a protective skylight filter on it. However, with the bubble attached and sunlight abundant the light flares on the lens are terrible and renders the footage unusable. I am surprised no one has come up with a decent "optically" clean cover with no curved glass or polycarbonate material or sorts that is lightweight and somewhat glare proof (like a lens hood)...would be useful. I did find a "optically clean" (open window - no lens) lens shade that I think will work. Has anyone used this? (similar to the one previously posted)

Amazon.com : Mavic Lens Hood Sun Shade Lens Hood Gimbal Protective Cover For DJI Mavic pro : Camera & Photo

Someone reported issues with that (or a similar one) showing up on the edges of the video. Probably while turning or in a cross wind.

Reactions: michael_gio
Someone reported issues with that (or a similar one) showing up on the edges of the video. Probably while turning or in a cross wind.

*sigh* Thanks @AlanTheBeast

I guess I'll see if I can create something to help the Mavic community.

[EDIT:] Someone sort of beat me to it. This is still not what I would do anyway.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez