DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Recommends Flying With The Bubble

Gimbal Cover/Bubble confirmation from DJI Support.
I sent an email into support at DJI asking about the "bubble" and whether or not we can/should fly with it attached:

"Dear John,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

With your concern, when you are preparing for flying, the gimbal clamp should be removed, but if you are referring for the Camera bubble cover, we best recommend not to remove it since that will serve as a protection for the camera from water sprinkle, dust, and other objects that may hit the camera in any case during flying.

Hope this will help and thank you for your time.

If you have any other inquiry in the future please feel free to contact us back anytime and we will be more than happy to assist you with your concern.

Have a wonderful day ahead.

Best Regards,

Myra

DJI NA TECHNICAL SUPPORT"
Since I got my Mavic I am flying without bubble i just add an filter to avoid dust , dirty etc with bubble I find difference in picture & videos

My convertible automobile comes with a roof that detaches... do I have to detach it to drive around? Do I have to attach it to drive around?

You should always detach the roof of your car before driving. The roof is only for protection when not driving. The roof also distorts the images of the sky and some guy on YouTube said that the roof blocks airflow and will cause you and your car to overheat if you leave it on while driving.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: J-Dub
The bubble doesn't completely seal off the air flow. There is a slit on the bottom left side if your looking at the front of the Mavic by the gimbal arm.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

My thoughts, what does it do to the warranty. If something goes wrong with the gimble when it is uncovered, will their warranty cover it, or will they say that you were suppose to fly with it on and therefore they disput your warranty claim. Reverse, if the Mavic overheats, they can blame it on the cover that you were supposed to have removed.

If something goes wrong with the gimble when it is uncovered, will their warranty cover it,

Realistically, no crash situation is gonna matter one way or the other. Too much force involved. The cover is for splashes and dust, not submarine or boulder mishaps.

Let's simply put it this way: there is no sensor on the Mavic Pro to record whether you used the gimbal or not.

Reactions: AyeYo
The bubble doesn't completely seal off the air flow. There is a slit on the bottom left side if your looking at the front of the Mavic by the gimbal arm.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

And there is a fan that sucks air in through that slit. While your drone is going up to 36mph of forward motion. The more I think of it, the more I'm wondering if the dome is intended for FPV racing or similar, non-photographic use.

Bozo prize to whomever designs and comes up with a optic quality dome that incorporates a neutral density gradient.

Has anyone thought of modifying the bubble with an open slot where the lens points (kind of like a WWII gunners port in an aircraft)? The slot will allow clear view while the remainder of the bubble can still protect the gimbal.

The bubble is most likely for FPV racing style of flying or like many users noted to just play around with and not capture media. I do agree I am more concerned about the overheating factor of it. I was thinking of taking a dremel tool and slicing a few more slots on the gimbal bubble to inscrease airflow but allow some kind of protection against a crash. Even thinking about adding those gel like screen protectors to soften impact if the day comes when I'm FPVing this thing.

And there is a fan that sucks air in through that slit. While your drone is going up to 36mph of forward motion. The more I think of it, the more I'm wondering if the dome is intended for FPV racing or similar, non-photographic use.

Bozo prize to whomever designs and comes up with a optic quality dome that incorporates a neutral density gradient.
Why can't a few holes be strategically drilled without altering it's protection strength and then it could "breathe" even better. I can see many flights where it would be a good idea to keep it on. For example flying low and fast along a beach where you might hit a projection.

Gimbal Cover/Bubble confirmation from DJI Support.
I sent an email into support at DJI asking about the "bubble" and whether or not we can/should fly with it attached:

"Dear John,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

With your concern, when you are preparing for flying, the gimbal clamp should be removed, but if you are referring for the Camera bubble cover, we best recommend not to remove it since that will serve as a protection for the camera from water sprinkle, dust, and other objects that may hit the camera in any case during flying.

Hope this will help and thank you for your time.

If you have any other inquiry in the future please feel free to contact us back anytime and we will be more than happy to assist you with your concern.

Have a wonderful day ahead.

Best Regards,

Myra

DJI NA TECHNICAL SUPPORT"
well there is a small hole in it for air to get across the board.

I am pretty sure the clear plastic is so close to the lens that, because of focal length, it will not affect the optics in a noticeable way.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the clear plastic is to close to the lens that, because of focal length, it will not affect the optics in a noticeable way.
But it does ... I get sun flares with it on but I crashed with the cover on and it protected the gimbal so I only take it off for "money shots"

I believe that each person has his/her opinion and DJI personnel are no different and in this case Myra gave her/his opinion. There is no doubt that the plastic bubble will not only degrade the image big time, but will also produce many more lens flares.
I'm not going to risk my US$1,500 drone for lousy images or video, so I have never flown with it on. The poor ventilation is another reason for having it off, but I guess each one will do what he believes best. I do however use a 3D black carcass with an opening to avoid as much as possible the sun creating flares and at the same time protect the camera-gimble unit from getting a direct hit in case of a crash..
Spanish Flyer

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078