DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Refresh *doesn't* cover sunk drones!?

Nothing to do with the thread , but I have to say that every time I see these threads with the flight info broken down to the minute stick inputs, it just shows the high intelligence of some members in this Forum.
It also shows that this Hobby has nothing to do with Kids and Toys like a lot of uninformed people think. I appreciate the things I learn from you guys that help others in here.
Great job guys ( msinger, sar104, Thunderdrones, just to name a few) that’s what makes people come here and stay [emoji106].

This!

I always hesitate to even mention this because lots of people think they're a bad idea, but since I live on a lake and very frequently fly over the water, from the shore and the boat, I use these. Obviously, with these on the wind DOES have an effect on the Mavic 2 Pro and flight time is slightly reduced, but the peace of mind makes it worth it in my book and, from my experience, the impact is fairly minimal. This style is pricey, and there are cheaper versions out there, but I like the separate/extra landing skids (which can be used alone) and the way they attach/detach. As I mentioned, the wind DOES have an effect but I generally don't fly in winds over 15mph and never over 20mph. One side benefit, they definitely increase visibility.

View attachment 59636
I've been flying with them since last September and I never fly without them anymore.

I don't know if you have actually spoken to the creator of them, but he's a super nice guy that supports his products and is a true drone enthusiast.

W
Well, first off the device activates in less then 10 feet of depth, second it doesn't lift the drone you do. Hope you don't think a Mavic gains enough weight to break the 10 lb limit of the Kevlar breaded line. What you stated doesn't make sense.
Maybe you should crack open a book and study physics.

While you may not have considered there are plenty of bodies of water that are much deeper that the string is long, I'll just leave it at that.

I have read this post from start to finish so far and the info in this thread is invaluable. Sorry it comes at your expense though, and wish you nothing but luck with DJI.

Thanks!

I have to say I do agree with their policy, there are far too many crooks in this world that would take advantage.

Oh, so do I. I *completely* agree with and understand DJI's policy. Far too many unscrupulous people would take advantage of them otherwise. I just hope they can see that, from the flight logs and in *my* case, they should make an exception. :)

Unfortunately, the getterback device has the best chance of working in shallower water, but just cannot lift a Mavic 2 in any case. (It was designed for fishing rods that were dropped into the water, not drones.)

The additional pressure at greater depths will keep the tiny amount of air from the O2 cartridge from fully inflating the balloon, which, again, in the best condition, doesn't have enough buoyancy to lift a Mavic 2.

At risk of beating a dead horse, the only trustworthy option that I've seen and investigated would be the floating skids from iRepairMD.
The getter back device I'm familiar with is not supposed to lift the object. It's supposed to pop a buoy to the surface so you can locate and retrieve it. But I do agree that if you plan on flying over water even occasionally, it just makes sense to use pontoons.

Last edited:
Still crap though....why not offer an all inclusive policy.... it just seems dumb, commercialy....my Lloyd’s policy covers any loss, and it’s cheaper!
Then why are you complaining. DJI is doing what makes the most sense to them business wise. It's not unreasonable.

Well the bird should technically have enough metal inside, no? Would just just need a powerful magnet from the hardware store or something.
No. I think that the largest piece of metal on the AC is found in the camera body and gimbal, and that is not a type that is attracted to magnets. The only magnetically attracted metals are probably going to be a handful of small screws.

Reactions: Mav1c
Maybe you should crack open a book and study physics.

While you may not have considered there are plenty of bodies of water that are much deeper that the string is long, I'll just leave it at that.
Why so aggressive/hostile? His post was addressing that fact that what you said made it seem that the way that getterback was intended to work was by lifting the sunken item. Sure, there are plenty of bodies of water that are deeper than the device retrieval line. One would need to take that into consideration. Personally, I would want to use floats unless there was a condition (like wind) that made that option less desirable than at least being able to retrieve the drone should there be a mishap.

They simply offer to replace crashed drones. It's like Apple Care. A real insurance policy may be preferable, as long as the insurance company doesn't pull the State Farm trick of dropping you if you actually claim on it.

Yep, that's what happened to me with State Farm.

They replaced drone and cancelled you? Did you have other insurance with them?

This has actually been discussed to death i think on other threads if you search. The jist of it was that people who had the SF policy and filed a claim within the first year typically were told they wouldn't be able to renew when the policy expired. Some people were even told that up front before they purchased the policy but still seemed surprised that SF is actually a for profit business that's goal is to make money.

This has actually been discussed to death i think on other threads if you search. The jist of it was that people who had the SF policy and filed a claim within the first year typically were told they wouldn't be able to renew when the policy expired. Some people were even told that up front before they purchased the policy but still seemed surprised that SF is actually a for profit business that's goal is to make money.
Yeah I don't think it has, I read the forums plenty. I have been with SF for over 25 years and I would bet they would not cancel me if I had to make a claim. This is why I also ask if they have other insurance with SF or just the Drone policy.

Yeah I don't think it has, I read the forums plenty. I have been with SF for over 25 years and I would bet they would not cancel me if I had to make a claim. This is why I also ask if they have other insurance with SF or just the Drone policy.

This is one of a few different threads. State Farm canceled me today But we may just have different opinions on how much is "discussed to death". As for what other policies, I've ready where people had the drone policy only cancelled even though they had multiple businesses insured, and the other end of the spectrum where they only carried the drone policy.

Reactions: JDawg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13