DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI releases new drone 'Tello'

As if the Spark wasn’t small enough! It’s amazing the tech that they can pack into these! But then again, that’s old news.:D

So how is this thing able to be stable indoors while the mavic is not? Is it relying only on IMU/Compass with no GPS at this point?

Tello

Not flying my Mavic indoors ever again. Almost murdered it before I even had a chance to fly it outside.

The Tello is perfect-looking for an indoor flight. Going through flight withdrawal here in the rain of Seattle. Want my Tello naoooo!

My mavic is super stable. Key is having sufficient light for vision/opti mode and enough space. Even when it switches from vision to gps every so often it stays put!

Talked briefly to Aldryn from FlytPath. He put his hands on it and is uploading a video on it right now. He said RYZE is a tiny start up with big aspirations. Looks to be a cool little drone though. Time will tell how those motors stand up. They are not brushless.

Thanks 51 Drones - was able to find this video on his site:

Reactions: Big Jon
Something else has to be going on here. This doesn’t seem to simply be a company licensing DJI tech. DJI is throwing big marketing funds at videos, web marketing that makes the device look like it is one of theirs. They seem to be throwing a lot of their own money at it to help make it successful. From what I can see this Ryze is a small startup company. This appears to fit a niche for DJI and they don’t seem to be afraid of it cannibalizing their other products. Maybe they wanted to get one of these into the marketplace soon and it would have taken too much time to start from scratch. Maybe they simply didn’t want to pull R&D resources away from their big money making products to develop one of these feom the ground up. Why confuse people by showing this product from another company on their website that looks like a DJI, is marketed like their other products.

I see an acquisition on the horizon. Why wait? The sale price will be much higher once they’ve become successful. I’ll bet DJI is working on buying them but just couldn’t get it done in time for CES.

Z

Something else has to be going on here. This doesn’t seem to simply be a company licensing DJI tech. DJI is throwing big marketing funds at videos, web marketing that makes the device look like it is one of theirs. They seem to be throwing a lot of their own money at it to help make it successful. From what I can see this Ryze is a small startup company. This appears to fit a niche for DJI and they don’t seem to be afraid of it cannibalizing their other products. Maybe they wanted to get one of these into the marketplace soon and it would have taken too much time to start from scratch. Maybe they simply didn’t want to pull R&D resources away from their big money making products to develop one of these feom the ground up. Why confuse people by showing this product from another company on their website that looks like a DJI, is marketed like their other products.

I see an acquisition on the horizon. Why wait? The sale price will be much higher once they’ve become successful. I’ll bet DJI is working on buying them but just couldn’t get it done in time for CES.

Z
This wouldn't be the 1st time that DJI partnered with another tech manufacturer. Initially GoPro & DJI were going to partner back in the pre-Mavic/pre-Karma days.

Z

I expect its a tactic to mitigate risk and prevent competition.

If the product fails, its all on Ryze. Manufacturing delays, its all on Ryze. If a lawsuit ensues because this “toy” goes rogue, i.e. slices someone’s eye, or anything that is odd but not past the realm of the, do not dry your pets in the microwave warning found on most microwaves, Ryze will take the brunt of the liability.

If the product is a success ... its “powered by DJI”! Go ahead and license your IPR to everyone and kill whatever is left of the already sparse competition.

You can find more information here. Buy Tello Video here. web player

I know that you are just going by the misinformation being spread around forums and YouTube so this isn’t directed at you, but
It’s not a DJI drone. A DJI flight controller was installed in it by the manufacturer. Nothing else.

Anyone can buy a DJI component and put it in a DYI drone build, but that doesn’t make it a drone made by DJI. On DJI’s website it states that all questions or concerns with the Tello need to be directed to the manufacturer because it is not a their product.

Looks like a great unit for learning how to fly. If you can fly one of these sub $100 drones you can fly anything. And if you crash it's not a big deal. I think it's a good option.

Since microization of electronics cost more (Apple MacBook Thin), this should tells us what DJI’s manufacturing costs for the Mavic and Phantom are ridiculously low. Same technology for 1/10 the price.

Just watched the Tello video...looks like a "gimmick"...I'm gonna save my money.

$99 is really cheap for a 13 minute programmable drone with DJI 14 core flight controller. I think this will be well worth the price for a fun indoor flyer.

Since microization of electronics cost more (Apple MacBook Thin), this should tells us what DJI’s manufacturing costs for the Mavic and Phantom are ridiculously low. Same technology for 1/10 the price.
What most people don't acknowledge is that the market price doesn't always just cover the hardware costs. It covers R&D, software R&D, warranties, and other miscellaneous expenses. The rest is left as actual profit. Workers need to be paid too.

Reactions: Big Jon
$99 is really cheap for a 13 minute programmable drone with DJI 14 core flight controller. I think this will be well worth the price for a fun indoor flyer.
I'm still hesitant to pre-order. March is a long way off in marketing time. Something else can come out by then, too. So tempting, though, with the savings using Google Pay. I may succumb soon and just order so I can anticipate the delivery date. I can't get a Spark a it's too much like a Mavic so this may be, as another poster said, the inside toy on rainy or windy days.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25