DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Releases SDK for Mini 3

I don't think I've ever seen so much miss-information packed into one thread.

Yes, DJI announced on Feb 2 that the MSDKv5 will support the Mini 3 in Q2, 2023.

No, this does not mean the Mini 3 will be able to fly waypoint missions beyond signal range. That ability requires on-board waypoints. There has been no statement about on-board waypoints on the Mini 3 from DJI. Therefore, one has to assume the Mini 3 will only support "Virtual Stick" waypoint missions like most other DJI Fly drones.

Yes, the Mavic 3 has on-board waypoints and can therefore, fly waypoint missions out of signal range. However, that ability is independent of the Mini 3 and its capabilities and should not be part of this discussion.

No, you cannot currently install 3rd-party apps (such as Litchi) on the DJI RC. Whether or not that changes in the future is unknown at the moment.

No, IOS will not be supported. The MSDKv5 is Android-only. Also, the MSDKv5 is not compatible with MSDKv4 (currently used by Litchi). This means that one app cannot use both at the same time. As a result, Litchi is forced to create a totally new app based on MSDKv5 for future drones. They are already working on one for the Mavic 3 Enterprise versions. Presumably, support for the Mini 3 (MSDKv5) will be added to this new Litchi app. Since this will be a separate app from the current Litchi app, it is very likely going to have a licensing model separate from the current Litchi app. Therefore, one will most likely have to pay for this new app even though one may already own the current Litchi app.
Would be great if someone would list the DJI models that support true autonomous flight w. Litchi, and those that use “virtual sticks” … and ones that might move to autonomous flight… Tex!

I'm not familiar with Litchi but from what I'am seeing it will be an incredible addition to the Mini 3 Pro...

Litchi is not freeware. It is a paid app that can be purchased from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. The cost of Litchi varies depending on the platform and the region and typically costs between $22.99 and $24.99.

Litchi offers a free trial version with limited features that users can use to evaluate the app before purchasing. However, to access all of its features, users must purchase the full version of the app.

Here's what I found out about Litchi....

Litchi is a third-party mobile application for controlling DJI drones. It is available for both iOS and Android platforms. Litchi provides a range of advanced features and functionalities for DJI drone users, including:

• Waypoint missions: Litchi allows users to create and execute waypoint missions, where the drone flies to a series of specified GPS coordinates and performs tasks such as taking photos or videos.
  • Panorama capture: Litchi provides a range of panorama capture modes, including spherical, cylindrical, and 180-degree panoramas.
  • Track mode: Litchi provides a feature called "Track" mode, where the drone automatically follows a selected subject.
  • Focus mode: Litchi provides a feature called "Focus" mode, where the user can specify a target and the drone will keep the camera focused on it while flying.
  • Virtual reality headset compatibility: Litchi is compatible with virtual reality headsets such as the Oculus Quest, allowing users to experience a fully immersive flight experience.
  • Flight logs and analytics: Litchi provides flight logs and analytics, including flight time, distance traveled, and maximum height reached.
The only thing I do not like about this particular app is...

Litchi is not an official DJI product and is not endorsed or supported by DJI. However, it provides a range of additional features and functionalities for DJI drone users and is a popular alternative to the official DJI app.

The DJI MSDK (DJI Mobile Software Development Kit) 5.0 is a software development kit provided by DJI that allows users to access the advanced features and functionalities of DJI's drones and gimbals. It enables developers to create custom applications for DJI drones, allowing users to expand the capabilities of their drones for specific tasks or applications.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Would be great if someone would list the DJI models that support true autonomous flight w. Litchi, and those that use “virtual sticks” … and ones that might move to autonomous flight… Tex!
Litchi supports autonomous flight for several DJI drone models, but the level of autonomous functionality varies between different models. Here are some of the DJI drone models that support true autonomous flight with Litchi:
  • DJI Mavic series: The Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Mavic 2 Pro, and Mavic 2 Zoom all support Litchi's waypoint mission functionality and provide a high level of autonomous flight control.
  • DJI Phantom 4 series: The Phantom 4 Pro and Phantom 4 Advanced support Litchi's waypoint mission functionality, offering a high level of autonomous flight control.
  • DJI Matrice series: The Matrice 100, Matrice 200, Matrice 210, and Matrice 600 support Litchi's waypoint mission functionality and provide a high level of autonomous flight control for professional and industrial applications.
It's important to note that the level of autonomous flight control offered by Litchi may vary between different drone models and firmware versions. Some models may have more limited autonomous functionality, while others may offer a higher level of control. It's recommended to check the Litchi website for the most up-to-date information on which models support autonomous flight and the level of control offered.

Any idea if litchi could be loaded onto the DJI RC or would I need one of the controllers that plugs into the phone?

Hum...🤔

No, Litchi cannot be loaded directly onto the DJI remote controller (DJI RC). Litchi is a mobile app that runs on smartphones and tablets, not on the DJI RC. In order to use Litchi, you need to connect your mobile device to the DJI remote controller and control your drone through the Litchi app.
The DJI RC itself does not have the capability to run Litchi or any other third-party apps.

I'm a Mavic 2 Pro owner who might in the future buy a Mini 3 now that just yesterday DJI released the long-awaited SDK for the Mini 3 that will enable Litchi to offer waypoint mission capabilities for the Mini 3 that will extend way beyond the reach of the RC signal where such autonomous flying is permitted. The release of this SDK is a MONUMENTAL development that merits breaking out the champagne glasses for a spot of wild jubilation.

So let's hear it for DJI you Mini 3 owners, for today your prayers have been answered, and therefore soon, very soon, your Mini 3 will be able to boldly venture where it dared not in the past, thanks to the magic of Litchi waypoint mission flying with on board GPS data storage .

I'm not familiar with Litchi but from what I'am seeing it will be an incredible addition to the Mini 3 Pro...

Litchi is not freeware. It is a paid app that can be purchased from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. The cost of Litchi varies depending on the platform and the region and typically costs between $22.99 and $24.99.

Litchi offers a free trial version with limited features that users can use to evaluate the app before purchasing. However, to access all of its features, users must purchase the full version of the app.

Litchi is a third-party mobile application for controlling DJI drones. It is available for both iOS and Android platforms. Litchi provides a range of advanced features and functionalities for DJI drone users, including:

• Waypoint missions: Litchi allows users to create and execute waypoint missions, where the drone flies to a series of specified GPS coordinates and performs tasks such as taking photos or videos.
  • Panorama capture: Litchi provides a range of panorama capture modes, including spherical, cylindrical, and 180-degree panoramas.
  • Track mode: Litchi provides a feature called "Track" mode, where the drone automatically follows a selected subject.
  • Focus mode: Litchi provides a feature called "Focus" mode, where the user can specify a target and the drone will keep the camera focused on it while flying.
  • Virtual reality headset compatibility: Litchi is compatible with virtual reality headsets such as the Oculus Quest, allowing users to experience a fully immersive flight experience.
  • Flight logs and analytics: Litchi provides flight logs and analytics, including flight time, distance traveled, and maximum height reached.

Litchi is not an official DJI product and is not endorsed or supported by DJI. However, it provides a range of additional features and functionalities for DJI drone users and is a popular alternative to the official DJI app.

The DJI MSDK (DJI Mobile Software Development Kit) 5.0 is a software development kit provided by DJI that allows users to access the advanced features and functionalities of DJI's drones and gimbals. It enables developers to create custom applications for DJI drones, allowing users to expand the capabilities of their drones for specific tasks or applications.
I have a Mavic Air 2 ,does my drone have an SDK to be able to run apps like Litchi.

Does my Air 2 have an SDK to be able to run apps like Litchi

Learning that the Mini 3's SDK rollout won't be for another 4 to 6 months is a buzz-kill for sure, but to respond to Scro's question about waypoint missions, that SDK is all that is needed by Litchi's code-meisters to impart that beyond-signal-range waypoint capability on the Mini 3, provided that GPS data can be stored on board the drone at the start of waypoint missions, which is the core prerequisite for any DJI drone to attain the capability of embarking on fully autonomous waypoint flights extending beyond the RC signal range.

I recently acquired a Mavic 2 Pro which instantly became my favorite drone, but the slightly longer flight time, comparable camera, and compact size of the Mini 3, in combination with the waypoint magic that Litchi does so well, increase the odds of my purchasing a Mini 3 when the capability of on-board GPS data storage is confirmed by Litchi. I will be watching this model closely now.
In your consideration of the two - you should assess the conditions you normally fly in... we have 6 models we fly for our business... well the Mini 3P is my personal drone that sits in a backpack with my M3... but I digress... the mini's just can't handle the wind... our M2P's are the work horse... our P4P's for mapping accuracy... our I2 for cinematography... etc...

Yes, but it uses "virtual sticks", if the controller loses signal, it will RTH.
And our experience is it is very jerky... We were elated when they (Litchi) announced this for our Air 2S but the results were very disappointing... (for video anyway) and as a lot of our jobs are way beyond VLOS and signal loss is an issue this was a non starter... we stick with our M2P's for these missions (Can't remember when we last took out our Air 2S)

And OK, OK, OK no need to flame me over the BVLOS BS... I've heard it all before... and most of you don't understand the BVLOS rule anyway... a uni did a "controlled" demo following the actual FAA (CFR 107.31) designations and restrictions... and determined that BVLOS actually means about 500 ft for a Mavic... absolutely absurd. Situational awareness gained from visual observations on the monitor are far more important than looking at a dot in the sky... Taking this research to night flying astounds most pilots when the effective distance to remain compliant is reduced to just 40 ft altitude and 65 ft distance... ok... no worries... start flaming :) Aloha... One Love.

Attachments

• Day-VLOS-Flight-Data-768x375.png.webp.jpeg
    Day-VLOS-Flight-Data-768x375.png.webp.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 8
And our experience is it is very jerky... We were elated when they (Litchi) announced this for our Air 2S but the results were very disappointing... (for video anyway) and as a lot of our jobs are way beyond VLOS and signal loss is an issue this was a non starter... we stick with our M2P's for these missions (Can't remember when we last took out our Air 2S)

And OK, OK, OK no need to flame me over the BVLOS BS... I've heard it all before... and most of you don't understand the BVLOS rule anyway... a uni did a "controlled" demo following the actual FAA (CFR 107.31) designations and restrictions... and determined that BVLOS actually means about 500 ft for a Mavic... absolutely absurd. Situational awareness gained from visual observations on the monitor are far more important than looking at a dot in the sky... Taking this research to night flying astounds most pilots when the effective distance to remain compliant is reduced to just 40 ft altitude and 65 ft distance... ok... no worries... start flaming :) Aloha... One Love.
Pretty much every single drone flight I launch goes out much further than visual range., because there are no rules about such things in my location far from FAA and CAA jurisdiction, so I rely entirely on Litchi for smooth flights while I relax indoors with the RC controller switched off. I would not accept a Virtual Sticks drone even as a freebie gift unless, of course, my intent was to sell it off right away.

This is why I am so hopeful and guardedly optimistic about the recent announcement that the Mini 3 will soon benefit from the release of its own SDK. That 40-minute plus flight time, coupled with the potential for smooth BVLOS flights would quickly make the Mini 3 my all-time favorite drone IF the new SDK frees the Mini 3 from that infernal Virtual Sticks prison.

Just a note, one disadvantage of third party apps like Litchi is that in case of a crash DJI Care does not kick in, at least to my knowledge.
I have used Litchi a few times on my Mini 2, it would be great if the Mini 3 Pro will get support.
However, I have the RC controller where I cannot install 3rd party apps, would it be possible to pair an RC-N1 at the same time to the Mini 3?

Just a note, one disadvantage of third party apps like Litchi is that in case of a crash DJI Care does not kick in, at least to my knowledge.
I have used Litchi a few times on my Mini 2, it would be great if the Mini 3 Pro will get support.
However, I have the RC controller where I cannot install 3rd party apps, would it be possible to pair an RC-N1 at the same time to the Mini 3?
The Mini 3 will link to the RC-N1 controller regardless of whether or not Litchi waypoints ultimately become available for the Mini 3, so if the time comes that Litchi gains access to the SDK and makes possible waypoint flights, you can simply acquire a $30 used RC-N1 controller and bind it to the drone, which of course will un-bind the drone from your existing RC controller having that built-in Android screen.

You are indeed right in stating that the use of Litchi would void DJI's warranty, but Litchi has proven itself to be so utterly reliable that I tend to trust Litchi to get my drone back to base perhaps a tad more than I'd trust my own manual flying. Smart RTH is always there a safety net for those longer Lichi waypoint missions, so I take calculated risks very often, pushing my drones to see just how many miles they can cover on a single battery charge.

Reactions: geeuz
I stumbled on a forum devoted to DJI SDK releases, that is presided over by Mr. William Wong, who works for DJI and has the inside scoop on the upcoming SDK release. Unfortunately, there is no option to sign up as a participant in that forum for pesky commoners like me who don't know the secret handshake, meaning that all the questions I'd have liked to ask Mr. Wong will never be lodged.

I stumbled on a forum devoted to DJI SDK releases, that is presided over by Mr. William Wong, who works for DJI and has the inside scoop on the upcoming SDK release. Unfortunately, there is no option to sign up as a participant in that forum for pesky commoners like me who don't know the secret handshake, meaning that all the questions I'd have liked to ask Mr. Wong will never be lodged.

There isn't a secret handshake, all you need to do is to register for an account for the SDK forum.

It looks like DJI uses different credentials for that site. If you have a login for the consumer forum, you would still need to register for access to the SDK forum. You can use the same email and password for both sites. Go to sdk-forum.dji.net, and click the "sign in" link in the top right corner of the screen. When the login dialog comes in, click the "Sign up" link.

Provide your email and you'll be sent an email that has the text "欢迎来到 DJI。请单击以下链接创建密码并登录" (in English: "Welcome to DJI. Please click the link below to create a password and log in") and a link in English labeled as "Create a password". Click that link and it will ask you for your name and the password to use. Once you do that you have access to that site.

I doff my hat to you, sir, for this very helpful explanation about how I can join the conversation at the SDK forum. I looked everywhere and was baffled to see a "Sign in" option, but no "Sign Up" option.

For some reason, the lyrics to that old Eagle's song "Hotel California" echoed in my brain as I searched in vain for a doorway that could lead me to that SDK forum. " You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

Reactions: anotherlab
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13